I don't understand what is meant by this phrase in the profile

I got an address of a person who states in their profile that they like receiving:

“postcards with monuments and cities ex-libris”

I have no idea what the ex-libris means in this context?
Does anyone know?

2 Likes

I can’t answer this one, but maybe send the postcrosser a postcard you think he/she might like - based up on the sentence without the ‘ex libris’.
After your card arrives and gets registered you can ask the postcrosser directly !
(or ask in advance, but that of course would ruin the surprise somewhat).

3 Likes

Hi Purple-Hortensia,

I had a google about and found this: Bookplate - Wikipedia

A bookplate (or book-plate, as it was commonly styled until the early 20th century,[1]), also known as ex-librīs (Latin for ‘“from the books (or library)”’),[2][3] is a printed or decorative label pasted into a book, often on the front endpaper, to indicate ownership. Simple typographical bookplates are termed “book labels”.[4]

Bookplates bear a motif relating to the book’s owner, such as a coat-of-arms, crest, badge, motto, or a design commissioned from an artist or designer.[5][6][7] The name of the owner usually follows an inscription such as “from the books of…” or “from the library of…”, or in Latin, “ex libris”. Bookplates are important evidence for the provenance of books.

Which makes me think that they like to see the coat of arms, crest, badge, motto of the city. I have seen cards like that (I think!!)

Hope that helps?

9 Likes

By the style of the phrase my first guess would be that it is a typo/auto-correct and they meant to write “etcetera” / “e.g.”

But old exlibris/bookplates are also collectible items so it could be that they are interested to receive cards with them. I have couple that I guess could be exlibris cards so those do exists at least :thinking:

7 Likes

In Portuguese, the expression ex-líbris can also mean something that represents some place or someone. So, for example, one could say the Eiffel Tower is the ex-líbris of Paris.

22 Likes

That could be the answer :blush:

1 Like

My guess was libraries …

Hope you ask after registration and will receive and answer (and tell us)

Some ex libris (bookplate) postcards:

2 Likes