How to send a postcard in Thailand

I’m about to go to Thailand during world postcard day. Does anyone have experience in sending a postcard in Thailand? And rules or suggestions?

3 Likes

@magiclavender may help. good luck

1 Like

Thailand keeps raising postage rates. A single postcard now costs 35/40 Baht, depending on size, but you may end up being told 15 Baht (pre-COVID rate).

Use this reference, or otherwise, your mail pieces may never leave a sorting centre.

http://file.thailandpost.com/upload/content/1%20..65_61f1fd1ec72f8.pdf (page 27)

Also, it’s safer dropping them right at a post office. Collection boxes in some neighbourhoods are unused and abandoned, or underused that all get picked up every once in a while.

Have fun!

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed explanation. May I ask what’s the difference between a standard postcard and a picture postcard?

1 Like

As described below the table:

Standard Postcard applies if its maximum size is 105x148 mm.

Picture Postcard applies if greater than 105x148 mm and up to 130x180 mm, tolerance ±2 mm.

Besides, Letter and Printed Matter Rates on this PDF file apply to shaped and irregular-sized postcards.

2 Likes

If sending postcards is 40 baht, but most Thai stamps I found are in 3 or 5 baht. How did you fit all those stamps in the postcard? Or have they issued higher valued stamps?

1 Like

I just went to the post office today. And they do have 15 and 10 baht’s stamps. So you only need to buy three stamps to make up 40 baht. And Thailand stamps are very tiny. So you don’t have to worry about it.

2 Likes

As of March 2024, postage rate for postcard has been increased to 47/50 baht.

2 Likes

I just sent out my postcards today. 50 baht each, even to a southeast asian country. So expensive :frowning:

2 Likes

I’m heading off to Thailand very soon, I have quite a bit of International Reply Coupons (IRC), does anyone know how much the postal service in Thailand will exchange it for?

Update as of 18 April 2024: Went to the GPO (General Postal Office) and found out that each IRC is redeemable for 30 Baht.

1 Like