How to promote philately?

I do it by putting all the stamps for the shipping value. The cost for shipping in my country is S / 7.60, (Us $ 1.84)
I think it is the best way to promote the philatelic products and the variety of stamps of each country.
And you? how do you promote philately?
Greetings from Peru!!!

15 Likes

the bird stamps are beautiful.

I’m not sure what you mean with your question. You mean promote that philately is nice to other persons around the world? Or to students? or whoever?

I love stamps a lot and try to use a nice variety, however possibilites are limited of course. But I#m always happy if people write they liked the stamps I used for their cards. I also try to use gummed stamps not self adhesive, as they feel better for me… more original… more authentic. But maybe just a personal feeling

1 Like

Greetings. I always try to use Commemorative / Pictorial stamps on my mail. I know PostCrossing members love to receive my swap envelopes and Official cards with great stamps on them. I also use Commemorative stamps with my letter-writing ministry.

Sadly, philately is a dying hobby here. The average age of collectors here is either in the 50s or 60s. Young people are just not interested in stamps. Lastly our postal service produces some nice stamps designs, but more often designs that are uninspired or downright goofy. I won’t promote such junk.

2 Likes

Hi, proto-philatelist here!

I began to feel interest for the stamps and to pay them attention thanks to a postcrosser who took the time not only to choose a postcard according to my interests, but also to choose the stamps regarding them, so they caught my eye.
I do the same ever since and I search for the stamp I receive systematically as well. I have discovered quite a few artists thanks to it… And I discover too, that postcrosser hadn’t been the first one choosing stamps with care.
So I suggest as a way to promote it not adding as much stamps as possible, but a stamp that could be remarkable for the recipient whenever that can be done, obviously.

2 Likes

Living in Hong Kong, I feel the similar concern @anon95027724 stated above. Poor designs and head-scratching commercial collaborations were found in stamps issued here in recent years. Both hobbyists and middlemen (demand for HK stamps from China was high in the past) are losing interest.

In Singapore, there are middle-aged men who sell used stamps and used postcards. (That counts as philately too, right?)

I’ve made a couple of purchases from such men.

This stamp from Pahang, Malaysia cost me SGD$0.20. (date of the issue of this stamp: unknown to me)

These stamps came with a used postcard, which has travelled from Luzern to Singapore (in the year 1981). Bought the postcard for SGD$2.

P. S. If anyone from Singapore is reading this, and want to know where I bought them: I bought them at one of the many stalls on the first floor of Chinatown Complex. Many stalls sell second-hand goods, and I had to ask each seller if they sold (used) stamps.

I also saw entire albums of stamps from various countries - the stamps look old and used - at the Thieves’ Market, which has recently moved near Kelantan Lane.

2 Likes

you always send very beautiful stamps and postcards. I really apreciate. If I would be in the turn to choose I would probably choose for the C or D :heart: the more birds the merrier

1 But staps and use them. I buy them from both the USPS website and their official Ebay store. I also buy the old old issues that no longer exist from eBay as well. And I send them.

2 Watch philatelic youtube or whatever account from social media. I watch ExploringStamps channel presented by the South African? British? Philatelist by the name of Graham Beck. Im still not sure where he is from, but he is based in Piscataway, New Jersey, USA. His show is very informative, educational, and I always say, presented in a way where children can grasp it and find it interesting and adults dont find it boring and can actually learn.

3 Find a club near you.

2 Likes

I also try to use gummed stamps not self adhesive, as they feel better for me… more original… more authentic. But maybe just a personal feeling

I do the same thing; there’s a tiny, hopeless part of me that wishes the USPS would go back to gummed and perf’d stamps, even though that’s never going to happen. I feel – unreasonably, I admit without argument – that they’re “real” stamps, and the self-adhesive ones are just stamp-shaped stickers. :laughing:

1 Like

I mostly promote philately by (1) trying to send an assortment of stamps to recipients, in the hopes that they’ll see something compelling or at least pleasing, and (2) buy a fair amount of stamps from dealers online, in order to support them. I also buy from the USPS site when they have a new issue that I like, and happily, they’ve made a lot of nice stamps lately. I’m also a dues-paying member of the American Philatelic Society.

And, of course, I prattle on about stamps to anybody who will sit still for long enough. I’m not a collector in the traditional sense – I only buy stamps that I intend to use – but philatelic history is still fascinating to me.

I’ve been creating postcards linking postage stamps to their locations on maps. Perhaps this is a good way to keep philately alive, or at least to awaken an interest in the hobby.
Go to bluewavewords on Instagram if you’d like to see some of the cards.
#philately

I’m from a very small school Philatelic club in a large high school in Malaysia :malaysia:, with a membership number of 35 members, or around 1% of the school’s population.

In my country, postcard writing isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when it comes to Philately, because postcards isn’t that easy to come by, but I feel that it is an effective way to promote philately, especially when the students are provided all necessary resources to start swapping (postcards and beautiful stamps).

Trust me, the application part is more important than the collecting part in a modern day context. Students aren’t able to acquire an entire year’s worth of mint issues using their own money, so when my club first started hosting some stamp application activities, all of them became the most well-received activity for the past 5 years, and even my school awarded my club an “excellent activities award”.

It’s great to see that Philately is being discussed in postcrossing, and not separated from it as another hobby altogether, because it is difficult to solely rely on the stamp collecting aspect of Philately nowadays.

If you want to promote Philately, make collage art using damaged stamps, write some postcards and aerogrammes, create private covers… all of these should come before teaching the students about the fundamentals of Philately and creating a nice Philatelic exhibit, not the other way around. This is essential to arouse the interest of students. They can go deeper into the youth Philately world, but it is not about making exhibits to prove that they enjoy Philately, a person can engage in Philately without going into the true details of stamps. Together let’s make sure Philately isn’t a thing left in the past :blush:

Very interesting topic. Thank you for creating it.