How much does your postal service refund you when a piece of mail is lost?

I sent one air mail registered to chile on the last day of last year, and it hasn’t arrive after the tracking shows it arrived at delivery office in February.

So I filled in a CN08 inquiry form and waited for another month.

Today, I received the result from the post office.

It says:
Nanjing International:
According to Correos Chile’s inquiry that has been returned to our office with No.CC/127/2023/20110600’s row 4, which cites article no.CS4178712 inform our office saying that:" your office’s registered mail/packet item No.RC706182597 which has been sent to Chile, shall be refund to the sender because of that the item cannot be found."
Please refund to the sender according to the International Mail processing regulation
Shanghai Inquiry Office
And then, the post office clerk says that they can only refund me the postage and the value of the postcard but not 20 DTS which has been written in the regulation.
Which really annoyed me.
How does postal service in other countries deal with similar issue?
Looking forward to your answer

1 Like

It was sent in an envelope so I do think they should refund as 20 DTS. No idea why my local post office do so.

In other city, like Guangzhou, they just refund 20 DTS no matter what is inside it. I think at least they should apply the standard nationalwide but not like having differences in different area. It is not fair

The refund price is up to how you declare here, for example I declared 15 CNY for this postcard since it is shaped and it is bnought with this price, however, in fact, I spent time on writing this postcard which can be cost in my labour cost, which could be counted as around 5 CNY? I can accpet that they only refund me the postage and postcard fee, but it sounds really weird since if you lost a domestic mail you get a refund containing 3 times of the postage and the item value. My city’s old international mail refund regulation shares the domestic one too, and I have no idea why they changed to only returning the postage.
If they can apply a nationalwide regulation of refund whether says we should only refund the item value or just refund 20 DTS would be better. Or things will just happen like someone send a empty envelope by registered mail which has been lost got a 180 CNY refund(20 DTS), while another person sending Important file can only get postage back.

@Donald
In Italy Poste Italiane, for international registered mail, writes that for non-delivery, tampering or damage claimed at the moment of delivery is recognized a refund of 30 DTS (about 37 EUR) plus the shipping price.

If instead the envelope is returned to sender, without answer from the foreign postal operator about the reason of the non-delivery, only shipping price is recognized.

I had only one episode, years ago, sending an envelope to Malaysia: the envelope arrived ruined and with part of the content missing (some tokens, while postcards where still inside).
Nothing was recognized to me, actually my complaints have been left without answer.

My impression is that the phrases are put in a way that is always possible to turn them in a way to not pay anything to the sender, or to make the process so long and difficult that most people will give up.

For the case in my city, unless the item is being lost. No refund will be provided. For example, I used to send one to Saint Pierre and Miquelon. It went back after 3 months with a Canadian post code on it. Which seems to refer that Canadian post received this item, and instead of sending it forward internationally. They write domestic address with similar name to the destination region and write a post code. It eventually being returned to me. However, no reason is written and since it has been returned. I can not ask for an inquiry anymore. So there is no refund. For item lost in domestic phase, the inquiry department refuse to search for the item but let you wait for further movement. Which is obviously unreasonable. How can you expect an item which is being transported to a place which is only 100km away having no response for 3 months to suddenly have a update

Compensation for damages
For non-fulfillment or improper fulfillment of obligations to provide postal services, the Russian Post is responsible to its customers. To receive compensation, you need to apply for damages.

An application for Russian international shipments can be submitted on the page pochta.ru/claim by logging in through the account of the Public Services portal, or fill out the application form on the website, print it out and submit it at any post office. To submit an application, you must attach a receipt (or a copy of it) issued at the time of dispatch, as well as present an identity card (when submitting an application at the post office). The recipient, sender or a proxy of one of them can submit an application.

The sender has the primary right to receive compensation, and he also has the right to refuse compensation in favor of the recipient.

Applications for the search of domestic and international postal items are accepted within six months from the date of dispatch. Applications for the search of international EMS shipments are accepted within 4 months from the date of dispatch in accordance with the Regulations for the Application of the EMS Model Agreement (Bern, 2017)

The Russian Post informs about the search results by registered mail to the postal address, or by letter to the email address specified in the application, no later than 30 calendar days from the date of submission of the application for domestic mail, and 2-3 months for international mail. If the shipment is not found, the Post Office is obliged to pay compensation. Payment is made within 10 days from the date of recognition of the claim.
For international shipments
In case of loss, damage or damage to international registered items (letter, parcel, small package) Russian Post pays compensation in the amount of 30 SDR and the amount of the tariff fee (except for the order fee). In case of loss, damage or damage to a part of their investment — in the amount of the actual value of the missing or damaged part, but not more than 30 SDR.

In case of loss, damage or damage to the bag “M”, compensation is paid in the amount of 150 SDR and the amount of the tariff fee (except for the order fee).

Compensation for the loss or damage of valuable items is the amount of the declared value and the amount of the tariff fee (except for the fee for registration of the declared value).

In case of loss or damage to a simple parcel, compensation is paid in the amount of 40 SDR and 4.5 SDR for each kilogram of the parcel. The amount of the tariff fee is also paid.

In case of loss, damage or damage to a part of an international shipment, the Russian Post will compensate its actual amount, but not more than the amount established for complete theft or damage to the shipment.

In case of return of an international parcel from the customs of the Russian Federation, the Russian Post from 01.10.2021 pays compensation in the amount of the difference between the full tariff and the amount of tariffs for domestic shipments “non-standard parcel” for shipment from the place of delivery to the place of international postal exchange and for return logistics after the return of the shipment by the customs authority.

In case of loss of the EMS shipment, compensation will be 30 SDR for documents and in the amount of the value of the lost, but not more than 130 SDR for commodity investments. The amount of the tariff fee is also paid. Compensation for the loss of a valuable EMS shipment will amount to the amount of the declared value, but not more than 4000 SDR, and the amount of the tariff fee (except for the fee for registration of the declared value).

In case of return of an EMS shipment by the aviation security service or customs of the Russian Federation, the Russian Post pays compensation in the amount of the difference between the full tariff and the tariff for domestic shipments from the place of delivery to the place of international postal exchange.

Russian Post is not responsible for the violation of delivery terms, loss and damage of shipments:

if these events occurred as a result of a natural disaster;
if the shipments were seized by the competent authorities;
if the loss or damage of the parcel occurred due to the sender’s fault: due to incorrect packaging or the properties of the items being sent.
For violation of the control deadlines for sending parcels, the Russian Post pays a penalty to the client – a legal entity or an individual entrepreneur who has concluded an agreement with the enterprise, which is 0.1% of the fee for the forwarding service for each day of delay, but not more than the full cost of the service.

1 Like

In the UK with royal mail, I submitted an online form and got stamps as compensation but I think this was when they had trouble with international mail. In regular times i think compensation is only if you pay more for tracked.

1 Like