How long did it take to get your first postcard?

My first card arrived to Germany 15th February 2007. Someone in Germany got my address 18th Feb 2007 and the card arrived 27th Feb.

My first sent postcard (back in 2015) was registered after 37 days. It was sent to Russia.
I recieved my first card after it had travelled 13 days. It came from the US.

But I also sent cards which had travelled almost one year (354 days, 341 days) before they got registered.
And recently I received a card wich had travelled 191 days.

I sent my first card on 07 October 2013 and I got my first one on 24 October 2013. It came from Chita in Russia.

I joined on October 29, and have sent 9 cards, 6 of which have been received. However, I have not received any cards yet. Is that unusual, or does it take a while for the initial flow of cards to arrive?

3 Likes

In short. No, itā€™s not unusual. Yes, it takes a while. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Even under normal times when the mail was a lot faster, it took almost a month from when I first joined to get my first card. This is a slow hobby and itā€™s pretty typical for the pace of mail to seem glacial in the beginning (and even more so these days with the pandemic).

9 Likes

I see that your first postcard was registered at November 6. That was the first time your address was given out.

Mail can be slow, even under normal circumstances, so 4 weeks is not unnormal at all from certain countries. And since most international mail travels by air plane (often passenger planes), the mail is delayed now because thereā€™s less flights!

5 Likes

the combination of covid and december makes the post go a bit slower, but iā€™m sure you will get your first cards soon. and once youā€™re in a flow of sending out cards regularly, you will receive them sooner as well. i remember my first card came from china, i had to wait a while for that one. totally worth it though!

and i donā€™t know if itā€™s just me but normally my cards to america arrive in a week and now they take about a month, whilst cards from america to me are still arriving pretty soon. but in the end they all get there, so itā€™s just a matter of patience.

4 Likes

That is a very good point.

3 Likes

I have seen a similar delay in mail between me (Germany) and the USA. It was really bad both ways in the summer but seems to have improved in November and December in both directions, but from Germany to USA it still is slower (average 16 days) than from USA to Germany (avarage 11 days).

@Psyprof: Mail between some countries can take well over a month (in Germany I often see that to Russia, mainland China and Australia), so if the luck drew you such countries, they will still be in transit. And yes, sometimes cards just donā€™t arrive at all.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s disappointing! But yes, as people have said, it could be that youā€™ve hit a bit of bad luck in terms of your first couple of cards coming from countries where the mail to the US is slow.

I joined Postcrossing this spring and Iā€™d say it was about three months before receiving cards felt like it was up to a steady pace, and I still sometimes hit lulls. (I joined during quarantine so I have to take everyoneā€™s word for it that normally everything moves faster.) Donā€™t lose hope! Itā€™s very nice when you get to a point where you have enough cards coming and going that it feels like a steady connection out in the world.

ETA - I got one card from a young woman in Russia; it was the first or second card she had sent and it was more than 100 days on the road. I felt so bad for her! I hope sheā€™s had better experiences since.

1 Like

That is correct.

I checked and there are as many postcards travelling back to you.

6 Likes

Yes the initial stage will always be the slowest, because that is when you will be bursting with enthusiasm, and eagerly anticipating your postcards to arrive and others to send a postcard to you.

As the others already mentioned, a combination of factors such as fewer flights, slower postal services, COVID-19, closure or restriction of borders and December being a holiday/resting season, it takes awhile. But things will pick up soon, so bear with this stage for now.

I remember opening my mailbox everyday to see if a postcard has arrived, only to be met with disappointment, until that one day when I finally received my first postcard. It was a really great feeling! :blush:

8 Likes

@Psyprof - The postal service in the USA has been so weird lately. I have noticed this year, I get the bulk of my cards and fun mail on Mondays. Tuesdays is for mostly those junk mail insert packets, and other junk mail. Maybe a postcard. Wednesdays are bills and maybe a trickle of a postcard or two. Thursdays -Saturdays may have a few more fun mail pieces. But mostly, I get all my cards on Mondays. Which makes the Monday blues a little better to handle! :rofl:

2 Likes

Mine were sent out yesterday.

2 Likes

We donā€™t live far away from each other. I just started too. Welcome. Whatā€™s your main reason for post crossing?

Cards from certain countries take longer to arrive to this side of the world. Iā€™ve noticed that cards from Russia often take about a month to arrive to Canada, and cards from China can take two months or longer; Iā€™d expect them to take just as long to get to the US. If your first ā€œsendersā€ are from there, itā€™s not surprising that youā€™d wait at least a month. Hopefully this week youā€™ll get your first cards!

1 Like

I sent my first card on August 8, 2012, to the Netherlands and it was registered on August 19, 2012.

My first received card was sent to me August 20, 2012, from Japan, and I received it August 25, 2012.

2 Likes

Yes, your first sent card need to be received & registered before your address is given out and the travel time from there will depend on which country the cards are coming from plus youā€™re starting this in December which is one of the busiest mail months in the entire year. The pandemic will also slow things down as well given the reduced mail services because of COVID-19 precautions in the postal systems and a lot less airline flights.

Just be patient, the cards will come. You could also do some swaps on here, especially within the US to receive cards sooner.

If you do a search on the main site and look up USA & Virginia, you can look at other Virginiansā€™ profile pages & see how long cards are taking to travel to your state right now from other countries.
https://www.postcrossing.com/search/users

Hereā€™s some other replies on the same question.

4 Likes

Thanks for this kind advice to both of you. That other man complaining is also from my home state! Iā€™m unable to initiate direct swaps now.

3 Likes