How do you start and end your postcards?

I mostly start with either Hi [name] or Hello [name]. When there is no name given on the profile or if I’m unsure about what the first name is, I might write Hello, greetings from Bremen! or something similar.

And end with All the best, Best wishes or (since the pandemic started) Stay safe and all the best.
I always sign with my name and my nickname rubber stamp and I only use first names (or nicknames when they are mentioned on the profile)

Once I pulled a profile that sounded VERY formal to me… there I chose Dear [name] and Regards :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

For official cards:

Postcard ID
Hi name,
Blurb about the postcard
-Enrique

For swaps:

Hey name or name,

In Spanish:
Name,

I always start with: Dear X, I hope my postcard finds you well.
And i usually end with: Take good care, Maria xxx

I just recently joined postcrossing. And I carefully read the received postcards. In my postcards, which I am happy to send to my recipients, I like to write “good afternoon” and address by name. And at the end of the letter, I wish you good luck and happy postcrossing. I hope that this is a pleasure for anyone to read.

1 Like

I usually start with “Hello [recipient name]” or “Hi [recipient name]”. If I know how to say “hello” in that person’s language then I might do so. Although I don’t tend to use “Dear [name]”, I get a lot of cards addressed that way and I don’t mind it at all.

I tend to end my postcards with “best regards”, “best wishes”, or something along those lines. The endings really depend on how much space is left on each card.

I always start mine with ‘dear’ as that is what I was taught at school to someone you do not know… however I end them with ‘lots of hugs’, which is much more modern and my English teacher would hate!!

So far I have only written out my first 5 but I am fond of starting with, “Hello name, my name is…” and then I’ll get into the message itself.
And I like to end with something like, “all the best” or “kindest regards”.

I saw some postcards from the onion that look kind of funny! Not everyone gets the humor though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I looooove The Onion, but yeah–the humor and cultural references don’t always translate well. :laughing:

1 Like

I start with:
Hi (name)! / Grüezi (name)!

end with:
Stay safe! :heart:
-(my name)-

I always try to greet people in their own language, if possible.

ending is always tricky for me, because I have a double name and it never seems to fit. Everybody calls me FM for this (online, not in real life). So, I often write; best wishes, FM
and I always wonder if this sounds not polite enough. Not sure.

One thing is strange: I never received a card with xox or just x or bisous or baci or whatever. Strange. Because in e-mails there is always a lot of xox.