How do you send/receive mail?

I live in a densely populated urban area, so the post office is nearby, plus there are plenty of drop boxes every few street corners.

Mail comes directly to my home, usually in the afternoon, six days a week.

I usually buy stamps online, as it’s easier, the selection is better and I’m not taking up anyone’s time at the post office (there are usually lots of people waiting with packages and I don’t like to make them wait for me to figure out what I want). There are two clerks at my local post office, one is an angel :innocent: and the other is the devil :smiling_imp:, so I don’t like to take my chances.

I live in a small town in Sweden

• Do you have to walk to a postbox to send?

There is one very close to where I live, but I usually bring it to work with me. The I take it with me when I go the postal service point to send the work mail.

• Do you have to visit a post office?

We don’t have those anymore.

• Do you have to leave your house?

Yes.
When I lived in the countryside, you could leave outgoing mail in your mailbox (including cash if you didn’t have any stamps - this was a few decades ago though)

*How does mail arrive to you?

Delivered to my mailbox, just outside the door to my flat.

• How often is it delivered?

Every Monday to Friday. So far…

• How do you purchase stamps?

Rarely over the counter at a service point, usually on-line at Postnord’s site. I have been known to ‘borrow’ at work if I’m in a hurry, lazy or feeling morally challenged.

Do you have to walk to a postbox to send?

Yes, I am quite fortunate that I have two postbox at either end of my road both about 200m from the front door.

**Do you have to visit a post office? **

No, only if I am posting a work document that requires proof of postage receipt, or if I am desperate for stamps.

Do you have to leave your house?

Yes, Royal Mail does not offer collection from front door, only for domestic parcels.

How does the mail arrive to you?

Delivered to the front door of home address

How often does it get delivered?

We where getting six day deliveries (Monday to Saturday), but as of 1st January this is reduced to five days (Monday to Friday) our Postman/Woman walks by around 11am.
I don’t receive post everyday,

**How do you purchase stamps? **

Mixture of online and in the post office, I usually us RM special stamps website, Philatelink and occasionally EBAY.
I started bulk buying once or twice a year, to reduce postage costs and unnecessary trips to the post office.

1 Like

Hey there! This is my experience from India!

There are two types of postboxes. In India, you can’t place outgoing mail into the same postbox. The postbox outside homes is only meant for incoming mail. To send outgoing mail, you can either go to a post office where they have a red postbox or go to a nearby postbox. The outgoing mail postbox is about a kilometer away so I usually have to drive there. The incoming mail postbox is just a floor below (since I live in an apartment; apartment living is common in India and kinda preferred)

Do you have to visit a post office?
To send mail, yes since its the closest post box to send.

To send mail, yes!

How does mail arrive to you?
Yes, in the hands of a kind Postman! At times when there are more postcards or letters, he hand delivers it home! Sometimes, he leaves it in the mailbox. He usually delivers it in the afternoon.

How often is it delivered?
I think whenever there is mail. They deliver it on all days except sundays.

How do you purchase stamps?
By going to the Post Office! They sell is loose too! I prefer not buying too many at once maybe enough for 20 postcards and so buying a whole sheet online feels like a waste

Also did you know that India has 154,725 post offices and has the largest postal network?

1 Like

Yes or bike or drive. There are a couple of mailboxes on my way to work depending on which mode of transportation I use. Some take a little detour, which I gladly take to be able to send the day of/after drawing addressees. Sadly more and more postboxes get removed all the time :pensive:
No, it’s optional for mail. Packages have to be sent trough the post-office though. And there is always a box inside to drop off mail too.
Yep
We have a mailbox right next to the front door instead of the end of the driveway (it’s pretty silly, but we have a security door and it has no mail slot for that reason)
5 days a week (not sunday or monday)
I buy online, because I can get more variety. But even the grocery store has simple ‘world’ stamps.

Hi Doreen, I’m also from Ottawa and I’ve been super curious to find out more about how our postal system works.

So all mail from Ottawa gets sent to the Montreal processing plant? What happens at the Alta Vista plant then?

So no international mail leaves from Ottawa then correct?

Do you know any of the routing beyond Montreal? I’ve been told several times it all goes to the UK for sorting first and then onto Europe, but I’m not sure that’s true given my experience say with cards going to Germany which tend to arrive & be received quite quickly.

I’ve also been curious if any of the routing has changed since Brexit.

Sorry for all the questions, but I’m delighted to be asking someone who might know, thanks, so much, Lynn

Yes, there’s a cluster mailbox at the end of our street (about a 5 minute walk)

No, I can send and recieve mail from the cluster box
I do, but the walk is short. Less than 5 minutes
A postal worker leaves mail in my assigned box. They’ll leave larger packages at my doorstep
6 days a week (Mon-Sat)
Usually online from usps.com

1 Like

Hi, Lynn! Alta Vista is still the main terminal for mail/parcels/admail coming in by truck from which it gets distributed to the various stations. Some priority items may be sent from the Ottawa airport, but most goes via Montreal – and I don’t know where the European mail goes from there. I do get the impression from my own mail that international gets handled about once a week (i.e. all my postcards come in a bunch;-) but this can’t be the case: do you have this experience? Sorry I can’t provide more info. Canada Post used to participate in Doors Open, but hasn’t for the last couple of years: I’d love to ask some of these things myself

1 Like

Post is not collected at your door in Sweden. Not in a town at least, when I lived in the country 20 years ago or so, you could leave the letter or card in your mailbox with money, and the mailman would take care of it for you. I don’t know if it’s the same these days.

These days I usually go a service point, these are usually shops that serve as Post Offices for basic services. I go to one ever weekday to drop off parcels from work (I work in a used books shop that also sell on-line), and I usually bring my own stuff to send then.

No. There are postboxes in town. as well as Service points. I did learn today though that the Post Office can cancel your cards manually with a nice stamp. I’ll take advantage of this occasionally from now on. It’s a little out of my way, but if I feel it’s warranted it’s a nice thing to do.

Yes.

Delivered to a mailbox outside my front door, it looks like a small wall of lockers.
It’s right outside my door, and I can open it without completely stepping outside my flat, if I stretch a bit :wink:

Every other weekday by a mailman. Week one they come Monday, Wednesday and Friday, the second week they come Tuesday and Thursday

I usually order on-line from the Swedish Post Office. Occasionally I may buy at the Service Point mentioned above or’ borrow’ one at work.

Thanks for replying Doreen. Sometimes I get bunches of cards but not most of the time.

Yes, not surprisingly, Canada Post is not super transparent about a lot of postal stuff that other postal systems are sadly. I don’t know why they wouldn’t publicize their processes more, it’s fascinating. But I’m stubborn type & want to know more! :blush:

Well I’ll happily share any info I find - I’m asking some CUPW friends and another source as well.

1 Like

very interesting!

Yes - it takes me 5 minutes to walk to the village box.

No - unless I’m sending a larger item that needs to be weighed. We have a post office counter inside the village shop.

Yes

Postman comes round on foot every day and drops the mail through the letterbox in front door.

Every day (except Sundays and public holidays). Due to COVID, mail delivery has been haphazard over the past year.

Either online or at local post office. Sometimes at the supermarket.

2 Likes

because of labor shortage my local post office no longer delivers mail to my home
in other words, we do not have mail carriers (postmen) any more

To get my mail I walk to my post office on my day off, wait in the line (there is always a lot of customers in the post office), I show the postal clerk my ID and receive my mail

I usually do it once a week

3 Likes

I live in a city of approximately 60,000 people. It’s considered rural because homes are spread out. There are no places to walk to in which you can mail a letter. The nearest mailbox is two miles away at the municipal building. I drive there on my way elsewhere. It is a 50mph road with no shoulders or sidewalks, so it would be very unsafe to walk.

Mail is delivered M-F via postal vehicle. My mailbox is at the end of my driveway. The postal worker drives from house to house. They do not pick up outgoing mail, but will accept items misdelivered or marked return to sender.

I rarely go to the post office. We have only one in my city and it is usually a long wait. I order my stamps online. The post office is 7 miles away.

1 Like

Interesting topic.
I live far out on land and due to health problems, I can not often leave my house.

I hand all my send-out-mail over to my husband and he puts them into a mailbox on his way to work.

No, I order all stamps online.

No.

As we live outside the village we have got a so-called Landbriefkasten (postbox is in the village, only we and the mailwoman have keys to it)
My husband collects our mail when he comes back from work

Every day safe for the sundays

Online.

What is a tobacconist?

I used a link someone posted to buy stamps. Philatelink? Pretty sure that’s wrong spelling. They have lovely stamps. So I bought them. But it’s isn’t for my country. Lol can I still use them. Anyone got a clue? I wanna say from Great Britain? I live in USA. If I can’t use them they are still pretty for collecting.

I bring all my outgoing mail directly to the post office and deposit it into the collection tanks INSIDE the post office, not outside. I do this partly to eliminate as many steps from the mail delivery process as possible, but also because there have been a number of cases of check theft and identity theft as a result of people stealing mail from the U.S. Post Office’s blue collection tanks. (Attached is an article about a recent incident involving exactly that type of theft). I don’t want to make people paranoid, because such cases rarely occur, but still, you should be careful with outgoing mail.

1 Like

usually it is a shop that sells cigarettes, newspapers and sometimes there is also a bar. They also sell stamps in this shop.

1 Like

Yes, Philatelink is in the UK, and only sells stamps to send from the UK. I buy most of my stamps from them. And you’re right, they have fabulous old ones that look really attractive on the postcards.