How do you send/receive mail?

Do you have to walk to a postbox to send?

• I can leave outgoing mail in my home mailbox, put it in the outgoing mail at work, or drive to the post office or a mailbox.

Do you have to visit a post office?

• Sometimes, because I have a P.O. box for packages and most mail

Do you have to leave your house?mail

• My home mailbox is across the street from my house.

How does mail arrive to you?

• The letter carrier drives a small truck up to the boxes for the houses in my neighborhood. For my P.O. box, the clerk puts the mail in it, or a card asking me to go to the counter if there’s something big.

How often is it delivered?

• 6 days a week

How do you purchase stamps?

• At the post office, when I pick up my mail.

• No. I reach my hand outside the door and place a
    folder with my postcards on top of the mailbox.

• No. Unless I’ve run short on stamps.

Do you have to leave your house?

• No.

• Mail carrier on foot with a shoulder bag. She parks her
    van down the street then walks everywhere.

• Six days a week, excluding holidays.

• Normally online. Wider selection then local post office,
    also at Stamp shows.
1 Like

Yes. The nearest postbox (they’re blue) and post office are a 5 minutes walk from my house.

Not necessarily. Postboxes are outside post offices, they have a mail collection schedule written on them (daily at night). Although I can give postcards to the operator for sending, but they say that it will be a bit slower. At the post office I only send(&receive) registered (trackable) mail.

To send postcards - yes.

I live in an apartment building, on the ground floor we have mailboxes that the mail carrier puts mail in.

6 days a week (every day except Sunday)

Mostly online from the JSC “Marka”, the official issuer of stamps because my post office has only standard stamps.

2 Likes

Luckily there are post boxes on my way to work so I can drop them off easily

Occasionally I buy the stamps and send the cards at the same time.

Yes we only receive post in our post boxes.

Our postmen have a fleet of electric vans. They make a cute wirring noise when they drive.

Monday to Friday, sometimes post is delivered on a Saturday during the Christmas period.

Sometimes I visit the post office but we also sell stamps at the shop I work in.

Yes. It’s 1 meter away and it takes me about 12 minutes to get there. During the pandemy I use other post boxes on my way to the forest.

No unless I need to ship bigger parcel.

yes

Into the mailbox outside my house.

5 days a week + 1 Saturday a month

Since March only online. Previously in post office or philatelistic shop in Warsaw

So interesting to read all of this! Here are my replies, I’m from the Netherlands:

Yes. I can put mail in a mailbox or bring it to a post office. There are 3 mail boxes that I regularly use, these are about 5 minutes walking from my house. One of them will be emptied at 18:00 and the other 2 at 17:00 so if it’s after 17:00 I have to go to the 18:00 mail box.

No. I only visit the post office when I have to send packages. When I happen to have a postcard as well, I drop it in the mail box inside the post office. It will not be processed faster than when I drop it in one of the street mail boxes.
One exception: around New Years Eve they close the street mail boxes to prevent people from putting fireworks inside. So Dec 31 is the only day in the year that I have to bring postcards to the post office.

Yes.

I live in Amsterdam in a typical 1900 house, we live at 2nd floor. There is just one letter box in the front door downstairs that we share with the neighbors from 1st and 3rd floor. When the post arrives, the first neighbor who comes home sorts it and puts it on the stairs. I guess they all share the joy when I receive another great postcard from far-away countries.

5 days per week. Not on Sunday nor Monday.

Always online. There’s a great online shop that sells old but unused stamps, usually in great variety, where I buy most of my stamps. I have to use about 3 to 5 different stamps to get the amount that is needed, but I really like the stamps more than the standard ones.

1 Like

I live in a flat and when I go about my daily business I have 5 or 6 mailboxes where I can send my mail from (at the supermarket, on the way to the gym or the bus stop, etc). I either walk or cycle to it.

I purchase my stamps online

Mail is delivered 5 times a week,. At the entrance of my apartment building everyone has their own small mailbox with a key.

Fun fact: in true Dutchie style, mail (with the exception of packages) is delivered on bicycles here! And they carry a lot sometimes…

I have to drive to the nearest postbox, since there are none within a reasonable walking distance, and the roads are unsafe to bicycle.
Usually, yes. Before the pandemic I would drop the mail off in one of two collection boxes on my drive to work each day. Now I drive to one of two post offices about once a week.
Yes, unless I’m very lucky and see my postman in time, and can run out and hand him the outgoing mail.
The postman delivers to the row of mailboxes across the street from my house.
Mail arrives Monday through Saturday (except for holidays),
Before the pandemic, I bought stamps at the post office on my drive to work. Now I mostly buy them online at USPS.com

Yes, the next one is just 200 m away from my apartment building. And another one I regularly use is just next to the door of the bulding where I work.

Not necessarily. Only when I had ran out of stamps and couldn’t frank my mail in advance or when I want to send my mail registered. Or when I want to sent parcels.

For sending mail I have to leave my apartment building. For receiving mail I only have to leave my apartment as my mailbox is in the hallway on the ground floor.

Regular letter mail gets delivered directly into my mailbox either by a mail carrier who comes by foot pushing a trolley or by another one riding a cargo bike. Parcels get delivered seperately by car and every provider comes individually.

Usually six times a week. From Monday to Saturday. However sometimes I don’t get mail on Mondays.

Online at Deutsche Post as they tend to have the biggest selection there. Sometimes I also use the stamp vending machine when I want to get rid of my small change.

I have to ride a motorcycle to nearly postbox,one of them is install at doorway of post office ( Fortunately, the big post office is just 400 meters away from my home),If by walk,the way is a little too long for my foot.

[image]

If you only send postcards and general letters, you can do it without going to the post office

[image]

Yes.

Our apartment has an administrator who is responsible for putting each resident’s letter into everyone’s mailbox.

I don’t know,haha

There is a philatelic service center attached to the big post office in the city center, which provides a very diverse selection. Of course, every post office and even convenience stores also sell stamps of basic denominations. The online shop of the postal system is also quite convenient, and the delivery service even only costs 0.7 USD.

There are just 2 postboxes in my town. One near the post office (2,5 km from me), another- fahrter. I’m not a car driver and have some difficulties to walk (because of problems with my knees). But must go, when needed, nothing to do.
I can just put the cards in the box near the post office, if not need anything else.
Definitely.
The postman or postwoman brings it to my letterbox (with is
tied to an oak in my yard and I can see it through my window).
Monday to Friday.
Go to post office.

I have to walk or ride a half of a mile to a blue post office mailbox to mail them. I can receive mail right inside my apartment building. It’s a very small metal box with a key inside our building.

• Yes. The postbox I often drop my cards into is really close though. I usually drop by on Monday on my way to the subway station.

• Sometimes I do if I want to send an envelope and make sure the stamps I put are of the correct value. I don’t have a scale with me. :sweat_smile:

• Yes.

• The postman/postwoman will deliver my mail to my home. Back in my home where we have postboxes in our apartment building so all mail would be put there. Here in Beijing I just ask the postman to put it outside my door.

• Not quite sure about this. Usually on the day when the mail arrives at the local post office.

• Online from individual stamp dealers. They offer nice stamps with discounts. In post offices, they mostly only have boring definitives.

I think I still never replied to this, very chatty topic :slight_smile:

• Do you have to walk to a postbox to send?
    Yes. I cannot imagine any other way nor have ever experienced any other way…
  • Do you have to visit a post office?
    Not necessarily, but I can if I want to. I tend to trust postboxes next to post offices more…
  • Do you have to leave your house?
    Er…yes, see above :slight_smile:
  • How does mail arrive to you?
    In a postbox in the entrance of the building where I live. Again that is the only way I’ve ever had it, even across a few countries and cities. If I lived in a single house, instead of a block of flats, it was still delivered to the house.
  • How often is it delivered?
    Every working day (Mon-Sat), but I don’t know if sometimes they skip us
  • How do you purchase stamps?
    Either at the post office, or online via the local post website (or a different website when I was in the UK), or a machine located near the post office, and there are also some available at other locations like transport stations (they are labels rather than stamps but they are good enough for me).

• Yes, just a short distance away.

• Only if I get stamps. But the post office only offers limited stamp designs, so I usually head to the philatelic store to get more designs.

• Yes, for every purpose.

• I live in an apartment unit in a high-rise building, and we each have a mailbox on the ground floor which we retrieve our mail from.

• Every weekday around late afternoon.

• Either at the post office or the philatelic store. I use stamps of various designs from the philatelic store for Postcrossers who collect stamps, and generic definitives for Postcrossers who are not so particular or if the postcard is smaller (some stamps are too big).

I’m a Hong Kong postcrosser. Since Hong Kong is a small place, I can easily get to post office :smile:
I never walk to a postbox (on street) to send. Indeed I can’t even locate one nearby my house :joy:
Yes. The post office is inside a small shopping centre. It only takes me 5 min to get to there. Outside there’s a postbox and I put the cards inside.
Yes. I’ve never heard of somebody who doesn’t leave their house and can send the mails out. Or maybe it is not a Hong Kong thing because we live in small apartments instead of large houses.
The mail will be delivered to the mailbox of my apartment. I live in a “House”, where there are a lot of apartments and the mailboxes are all located at the ground floor. I check my mailbox more frequently after I’ve joined Postcrossing.
It depends. It takes about 10 to 50 days. When it is from nearby places like Japan, Taiwan or even Australia, it’ll be only one to two weeks. For European countries and the US, it’s usually 20 - 30 days. I haven’t received any from South America or Africa, so no comments on them.
Before 2020 you could buy stamps from the vending machines nearby the office, but now they want things to be more convenient (and unfortunately more boring), so they replace stamps with postage labels. If you want to buy stamps, you can go to the convenient stores or directly tell the staff in the office that you want stamps (though I don’t think they’ll be happy to sell you stamps). Another way is to order them online and it takes about 2-3 weeks to deliver the stamps to your house. I just bought some recently for collections and I think it’s fine.

I recently moved to Canada from the USA and am getting used to the different postal system here in Vancouver.

I have to walk to the street box across the street from my apartment building, there is another one I use from time to time a few blocks away, but along my route to the local stores. There is no outgoing mail in our apartment building.

Yes, every time I get a package. Canada Post doesn’t seem to deliver packages to our apartments, just delivery slips. The closest one is about a kilometer away.

Yes

We have mailboxes in our apartment building entrance.

Supposedly 5 days a week, but it seems like only twice a week or so. I’ll go days without getting a single piece of mail and then have a day when my mailbox is stuffed full. I don’t know if this is a temporary issue because of the pandemic, or if this is normal.

Online and at the postal retail outlet if I have to pick up a package. There is more selection online, but it can take a week or two to arrive.

No. As I live on an small island I´m going with my rowing boat to the mainland,
and I have to go before the postman comes and put my cards in my postbox,
he will then take them, there is no extra charge but this works only in rural areas.
Then I go again when I see that he has visited my postbox.
It´s only about 100 meters to the mainland but if there is a very strong wind or
ice that is too thin (in the autumn/early winter) or too fragile (in the spring) this
gets more difficult. If there is no way of me getting to mainland then I ask my
brother who lives nearby (in the mainland) to empty my box, but I can´t send any.
This can take a week a week or two like in last winter.
And yes. When there is enough ice I will go by walking. For the first time in my
life not once last winter (climate change).

Not necessarily anymore. When there still was a main post office in the nearest
town I went with my postcrossing cards to ask the personnel to do the cancellation
by hand. This was a wonderful service that didn´t make a mess on the stamps, not available
anymore.

Yes!

In my own postbox in the mainland by the delivery man who obviously comes with small van.

Only 3 days a week, Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. However, my box is the last
stop on the route and if there is nothing coming to me the postman turns back earlier and
my possible sent cards are not moving anywhere that day.

From a online-seller who has a stock of almost all Finnish stamps issued in the Euro era
and also from the time we had our own currency the Markka, I use those as extra decoration.
The newer ones from the online shop of the Finnish post.

4 Likes

Do you have to walk to a postbox to send? NOT ALWAYS. IT’S OPTIONAL.
Do you have to visit a post office? NOT ALWAYS. IT’S OPTIONAL.
Do you have to leave your house? YES. ON OCCASION IF I CATCH THE POSTMAN/WOMAN, I CAN GIVE THEM OUTGOING MAIL.
How does mail arrive to you? IN MY MAILBOX. PACKAGES TO THE DOOR. PACKAGES THAT FIT IN THE MAILBOX GET PUT IN THE MAIL BOX.
How often is it delivered? EVERYDAY EXCEPT SUNDAY.
How do you purchase stamps? USPS.COM OR THROUGH USPS OFFICIAL EBAY ACCOUNT. STAMP DEALERS ONLINE ON EBAY. ALSO IN PERSON AT THE POST OFFICE.

• Do you have to walk to a postbox to send? Do you have to visit a post office?
    Both ways are possible but I usually walk to a nearby postbox.

• Do you have to leave your house?
    Yes.

• How does mail arrive to you?
    It gets delivered by a post officer. He usually puts the mail in my mailbox but sometimes he also rings the bell at the door and give it to me.

• How often is it delivered?
    6 days a week (Monday-Saturday), usually around noon.

• How do you purchase stamps?
    Online (Deutsche Post website) and sometimes at a philatelic store.