How are you celebrating World Postcard Day? Share your pictures and experiences

Haha! It’s magic!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::partying_face:

I actually think I might have one already coming in a swap. I stopped keeping record of my incoming swaps expected…so I wouldn’t be disappointed if they didn’t arrive. But I think I made a swap for one back in Sept. When I sent the card out on my end I just wrote ‘WPD swap card’ in my ‘outgoing’ notes. So that’ll be a nice surprise when it does come!! :yum:

Thank you so much for your kind offer though! :heart:

2 Likes

@Izzy2018 and @doryfera This year was the first WPD where I actively participated. On top of that I’m very new to the forum, and I too got a bit unsure about sending WPD cards because of the “anti WPD thread”.

Still I was very excited about sending the cards I had printed with the winning design. I figured if people really really did not want to receive such a card they would go inactive around the day, or write a note in their profile. So I sent the WPD cards to people who wrote in their profile “all cards are welcome” “I’m happy about any card, the message counts” or similar, and chose other cards for people where I was unsure if they would like the card.

6 of the 8 WPD cards I sent arrived so far. 5 of the receivers were happy, and only one person told me that she had received the design four times including mine, and that she had the first one in her collection, and probably will give (sell?) the others to a postcard wholesaler. I don’t know how I feel about this because it was a personal card, and the ID is written on there and I can be looked up because of it, but on the other hand this could happen to any PC postcards, not only WPD ones. Usually you just don’t get told that your card will be given away (or even discarded), so that felt weird :sweat_smile:

Apart from this one incident I am very happy with my choice of sending my cards. Even the forum members in the “anti” thread said that people should go for sending their cards, and not let that thread spoil their excitement. The number of people who wrote in there was such a small fraction compared to the thousands of active PC members, and on top of that it specifically was a thread were people who are opposed to WPD could share their thoughts. It is important that they too get their space, but of course it would seem that “everybody” is against it if you just read that thread :sweat_smile: There were so many threads and posts about being excited about WPD, and PC meetings being organized to celebrate it, so I really figured that one thread couldn’t be taken to represent a whole community with hundreds of thousands of members, and am sad to hear that you let your enthusiasm get dampened by it.

I’m glad though that you came to the conclusion that you will participate the next time in a way that you really like :cherry_blossom: Hope you have fun on your next WPD, please enjoy it, and spread your joy! :smiley:

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing this, @backbeat! It’s reassuring to hear your thoughts and experience. And very kind of you, too :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I received and registered my first official WPD card today :partying_face:. This card travelled from Taiwan and included these beautiful postmarks on the back!

@backbeat I’m really happy that you continued with your plans for WPD, and have had a happy time! I’m sorry that you had cause to doubt. I saw the thread you mentioned once, and resolved to ignore it after that. I’m looking forward to more fun Postcrossing milestones now and am so excited to be waiting for the Secret Christmas RR addresses to be distributed.

Choosing my cards, writing and decorating a Christmas message and then waiting for them to reach their destination gave me so much joy last year. I can’t wait to start it again this year. :heart:

Happy Postcrossing! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

17 Likes

@Tinkatutu Thank you, and Secret Christmas RR sounds fun! :slight_smile:

I think you’re saying something very important here, regarding the forum in general: we can always choose to ignore threads when we notice they bring us down, anger us, etc. .

Of course this is a discussion forum promoting exchange, but none of us is obligated to read everything that is written here, let alone engage in discussion about it. Unlike in real life sometimes, here we have the liberty to just walk away if we notice something affects us negatively, and should always keep that in mind :blossom:

3 Likes

Finally the recipient had started to register another “wave” of postcards (he was still, I think, on August 20 :-/
so far he has registered thirty-three today…) and so my first “official” #WPD2022 @ Postcrossing appeared in #Belgium. :open_mouth:
Damas y caballeros, finally got the #WPD badge for the 2nd time :slight_smile:

( Ah!, as I read somewhere, for the '22 badge the site recognizes local time :wink: )

5 Likes

I went active again on WPD. I was owed 21 postcards, and so far, I’ve received 48. This week I’ve received a few from more far flung corners of the globe, so there could well be more on the way :blush:. Anyway, these are the specific WPD postcards I have received so far. (A couple of these were sent to my husband.)

17 Likes

These are the WPD postcards I’ve received so far this year.

19 Likes

I think it’s time to bring back this topic for this year’s edition of the World Postcard Day! :confetti_ball: How are you planning to celebrate the day?

Only 55 days to go!

9 Likes

I probably will be traveling but will mail a few postcards. I have my WPD postcards and such ready to travel. The same thing happened last year and I wasn’t sure about the time difference but I was lucky enough to pull addresses in the correct time zone (am I saying that correctly, time zone).

3 Likes

The issue with the timezones was fixed a couple of years ago, so you can rest assured that your timezone (whichever it is) will be the right timezone!

Now that the design is out, the day feels closer somehow! My first order of business will be to make a list of people that I plan to send a postcard to on October 1st! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just ordered the new Postcard Day 2023 thru vista print. Can’t wait to get them and send them out!

10 Likes

This is a wonderful tradition :heart: Is there a charity you work with to get the cards delivered?

2 Likes

Congratulations to the designer and fellow Postcrosser who created the World Postcard Day 2023 design.

However, I am surprised at the vitriol and disrespect of some of the comments expressing their dislike of the design. I already read one Postcrossing user’s profile who said not to send this design!

8 Likes

I am thinking the Europa stamp for this year could go well with this card, but I found maybe even better matching ones (Finnish)

I really like the colourful card this year <3
I try to think persons who don’t get mail, and send them cards for this day and at least one teacher friend who told how some young children don’t know how to write their address anymore, so maybe he could make a postcard writing day.

14 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. I will start now to not write a new card as soon as possible. My plan is to have around 8 open spots available.

Those stamps are great to go with the design.

Congratulations to the winner.

Over the last 2 days I have read through this entire thread! What a buzz! It read like the feeling of Christmas morning. I am so excited to participate in my first WPD this year!

12 Likes

Is there an organized way to swap WPD cards or do we have to do it ourselves?

Thank you. :blush:
I’ve sent you a pm with some details.

1 Like