Help understanding postal restrictions in Malaysia

In the past week or so, we’ve received a couple of reports from Malaysian postcrossers, letting us know that it was now possible to send mail from Malaysia to all countries… but it seems that this information is not confirmed anywhere on Pos Malaysia website. :weary:

Could someone there help us in this search? Maybe they’ve mentioned it somewhere on social media, or was it perhaps reported on newspapers?

We’d love to open up Postcrossing to Malaysian postcrossers again, but we need some reassurance that mail is working again, so that we avoid postcards going nowhere. Any help would be appreciated!

1 Like

@eacy What you have shared is a March 2020 Pos Malaysia announcement. There is later August 2020 Pos Malaysia announcement that all international mail is suspended except to Singapore.

@meiadeleite
There has been no further announcement from Pos Malaysia. I am still receiving postcards from international destinations but I can only mail postcards within Malaysia and to Singapore only.

1 Like

@meiadeleite

To date there seems to be no new notification on the resumption of normal outbound international mail & parcels service by Pos Malaysia (national postal service, issues postage stamps).

Pos Malaysia did however inform about an alternative courier service for international mails & parcels delivery, called Asiaxpress (their subsidiary, see link below) at selected post offices. But the latter’s rates are costly since it is a courier service company/provides premium service.

So technically, it is possible to send international mail to more countries than Singapore alone but I doubt that many would use this more expensive courier service just for mailing postcards internationally. :point_down:

I personally am waiting for the normal mailing services to resume, as I have stamp sheets galore :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @GreenTeaGal and @SLLiew, I appreciate your help! :slight_smile:

I concur. Well said of current Malaysia situation.

We received a World Postcard Day postcard from Malaysia this week, dated 1 October 2020. On one hand, it’s a little bit sad that it took so long… but on the other hand, it gives me hope that perhaps they’re taking care of the backlog and will reopen services soon!

Have you heard of any other postcards sent from Malaysia arriving recently?

4 Likes

I miss postcards from Malaysia! Hope everyone stays allright and that you can sent out wordwide soon again.

1 Like

@meiadeleite

Any news here? Does Postcrossing has had contact with Malaysia Post?

1 Like

Only through postcrossers who got in touch with them. Sadly, no change in the situation so far, though we hear sporadic reports of mail arriving to other countries now and then.

1 Like

Really miss postcrossing with far away countries via the official Postcrossing site. Still waiting for normal mailing service (non-EMS) to resume. :disappointed:

1 Like

I’ve recently sent out a bunch of cards a few months ago. Although a lot of them are probably lost, a few of them actually arrived! According to the Postcrossing community on Instagram, many of them attempted to send mail, here are the successful destinations:
Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, USA, India, Spain, Australia, Germany, China, France, Estonia, Brunei, Macau, Netherlands, Greece, Turkey, Russia and Mexico.
The time that took differs from 1 month to nearly half a year, although it is possible to send out mail, its also quite risky as well!

Also we recently switched over to a new CEO. According to him (the lad named Charles Brewer), he said there is a chance mail will open in October. Although I sort of have doubt, I really hope what Charles say is real!

1 Like

Hi @Taufiq553, welcome to the forum and thank you for reporting on your experiences. We’ll wait for the official confirmation from Pos Malaysia that mail can be sent abroad, but this seems like encouraging! Fingers crossed that there will be good news for all our Malaysian postcrossers very soon!

It’s baccccckkkkk!!! The outbound service is back today!!! (22nd September 2021) Horray!!!

Dear Valued Customers,

Good news as our international outbound services for mail and parcel (International Air Mail, International Small Packet, Flexipack International and International Air Parcel) will resume effective 22nd September, 2021 to selected 56 destination countries!

The outbound services, in addition to the Express Mail Service (EMS) which resumed in March 2021, would further allow you to connect with your loved ones, friends, families and grow your business overseas. Send a letter, business document and parcel, and make the last mile worth the smile.

The selected 56 destination countries are Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Maldives, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and United Kingdom.

Source : https://www.pos.com.my/faq/#category-container-71

@meiadeleite @Taufiq553 @GreenTeaGal @HM

10 Likes

This is such good news — and just in time for World Postcard Day!!! :tada::tada::tada:

I’ve resumed mail to all these destinations, and everyone can go ahead and start sending postcards again. Make sure to save a couple of slots for World Postcard Day though. :slight_smile:

Welcome back, Malaysia! :malaysia:

7 Likes

Glad we are back! Hope more destinations will be added later, especially USA :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’re back in business, boys! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This is wonderful news! TQ! Glad that we can resume postcrossing with the listed countries!
:partying_face:

1 Like

I have yet to visit my local post office or GPO in Penang.

Anyone can confirm from their inquiry at Post Office that postage of regular size postcard is still 90 sen to all the 56 destinations - without any surchage?

Thanks.