Help Translating German Cursive on Old Postcards (Anneliese and Helmut)

Card 3 dated 31.10.1939 sent from Radibor - postmark 01.11.1939 - to Schönebeck / Elbe

Card 2 dated 21.11.1940 sent from Magdeburg - postmark 22.11.1940 - to Elbingerode / Harz - a “Marthaheim” is a nursing home for elderly people. Maybe she worked there?

Card 1 dated 15.07.1941 sent from Dresden - postmark 15.07.1942 - to to Schönebeck / Elbe @Wynnie could please you post the address and postmark, too?

@Kaydee she has a new name on card 1 - I did not see the address and name above, the others are Fräulein Roth.

1 Like

@Hamburg127 we are discussing postal history specifics here- do you mind to come slong snd help?

Nov 1, 1939 is the date on the stamp, Kaydee.

Manuchka - per your request to show the postmark, etc, of the first card… I was uneasy about it having the stamp that it does, but seeing the date and postmark will better help unlock her history, as you say…

1 Like

@manuchka i cannot find the adress and new nsme on the first card…

Here is the house Sonnenck in Elbingerode where the 2nd card went to:

8 Likes

Oh wow!

Thank you @Wynnie. My guess is there is a mistake in the date. The writer always sent the card the next day after writing. For the 1st card the days of writing and postmark correspond, so I guess either he wrote the wrong year by accident or the postmark is wrong?

1 Like

it says it is a Diakonissen home on the card you posted @ manuchka. They are still having s house in Elbingerode…

Ein Diakonissenhaus, auch Diakonissenmutterhaus oder Diakonissenanstalt , ist eine Einrichtung der evangelischen Diakonie …, in dem Diakonissen leben, … von dem sie ausgesandt … und in dem sie zur Diakonisse und den damit verbundenen Tätigkeiten ausgebildet werden. Die Vereine (als Institution) sind oft bedeutende Arbeitgeber durch die von ihnen betriebenen Krankenhäuser, Kinder- oder Altenheime. (Wikipedia)

A deaconesses’ house, also a deaconesses’ mother house or a deaconesses’ institution, is an establishment of the evangelical diaconate… in which deaconesses live… from which they are sent… and in which they are trained as deaconesses and the activities associated with it. The associations (as an institution) are often important employers through the hospitals, children’s or old people’s homes they operate.

So Anneliese spent some time there in this deaconesses’ house. Maybe she was trained as a nurse? She was not a nun or deaconess as she got married. Her maiden name was Roth, on the first card (the one written last) the name is Kleischner or something like this.

2 Likes

Were you able to make out Anneliese’ new name (from Card 1)? That would be Helmut’s last name. And I was curious if I could locate any record of him.

As for the text of card 3:

Radibor, 31.10.1939

Mein lieber Zwerg!
Wieder auf deutschem Boden sende ich dir die herzlichsten Grüße. Hurra. Wir sind wieder heim. Habe heute deine Zeitungen Nr. 20. u. 21. erhalten. Herzl. Dank. Auf deinen Brief freue ich mich ganz besonders. Für die Zeit, die wir hier sind, vorübergehend neue Anschrift: H.L. Radibor, Menzelstr. 65, Gasthof z.Goldenem Adler. Wie geht es dir sonst? Hoffentlich gut.
Herzl. Gruß, Helmut.
(umgedreht unter dem Datum: Die Arbeitsaussichten sind günstig.)

So he was her husband? How lovely…

Translation:

My dear dwarf!
Back on German soil, I send you my warmest regards. Hooray. We’re home again. Received your newspapers Nos. 20 and 21 today. heart Thanks to. I am particularly looking forward to your letter. Temporarily new address for the time we are here: H.L. Radibor, Menzelstr. 65, Hotel Golden Eagle. How are you otherwise? Hopefully good.
Heartfelt regards Helmut.
(and when you turn the card under the date you see: Job prospects are good.)

EDIT: The address is not Menzelstr. - it’s Meuselstr. or similar.

2 Likes

Maybe i could help you with a German card

1 Like

It’s Ratibor - it’s a “t” (my grandma, born in 1901, wrote the “t” the same way).

But I guess it is a typo because it was mixed up with the Polish town.

No no, you are right @Angelthecat until 1945 it was a part of Germany, Schlesien.

Im Jahr 1945 gehörte die Stadt Ratibor zum Regierungsbezirk Oppeln in der preußischen Provinz Schlesien des Deutschen Reichs. (source)

2 Likes

Ah okay, I first thought it was really meant “RaDibor”, the town in Saxony and the d/t thing was maybe a typo.

1 Like

Psst - the name is Anneliese, not Annaliese. :wink:

1 Like

If we can decipher the last name of Helmut- then there might be the possibilty to research in archives for him because he was a soldier…

1 Like

Yes - the postcard was sent by Helmuth about 7 weeks after Germany assumed control of Ratibor. I found another photo online, taken at about the same time, and it’s a dead ringer for the church in the postcard…
It was difficult nailing it down, just to title and save the scan, because that town is a border town and has moved between Polish, German and other jurisdiction. The history of the town is a fascinating read.

1 Like

I cannot decipher it properly. It looks like Pleischner on Annelies’s address, but when he gave his temporary location in Ratibor, he wrote his own initials as H.L. - or is it H.P?

1 Like