Help Translating German Cursive on Old Postcards (Anneliese and Helmut)

Makes sense. I have never heard the name Minna. Was it popular at that time? :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, it was very popular at this time. It’s short for “Wilhelmine”.

1 Like

For me it looks like “K”. The “M” in Magdeburg looks different. Kinna(s) looks like dialect and means children.

2 Likes

Yes, because it was written by another person :wink:

1 Like

I think it means Grüße für annelies seuten minna and rudi. Seute means sweetie in plattdeutsch. You also say mien seuten for my sweetie in english Greetings for Annelies’s sweet Minna and Rudi. Seems that Minna is Annelies Daughter. (Seuten is often used to address to children), in the context it seems to make sense and Rudi perhaps her husband?

1 Like

It‘s „Minna & Rudi“ and first word in third line is „senden“.

5 Likes

There is one more sentence: “Weiß noch nicht, was ich morgen erreichen werde.” meaning “Don’t know, what I will achieve tomorrow.”

1 Like

You all are so wonderful.

I’m glancing through the written cards now to answer the question about Anneliese being the person they were all sent to… and … no, but 11 or 12 of them are. There seem to be cards to 5 or 6 different folks in the box, as best as I can tell. But I will post all the “Postcards to Anneliese” first.

I was wrong about 52 cards needing translation - it’s closer to a couple dozen.

Box has: 48 loose postcards, 25 of which are “written”. The blank (unwritten) cards are from various places around Europe. One is a tiny postcard, only10.5 by 7.5 cm. Two other small cards appear to be of American movie stars of the 30s and 40s, that were saved out of a “YAGO” chocolate box. (Mexico? Seems out of place in the box, hmm) There is one letter dated 1944 on the postmark, with a red 12pf stamp and the image of Hitler. I was saving the letter for last. It’s so old I imagine it can’t handle a lot of handling and unfolding - and I don’t think it’s to Anneliese. Finally, there are 2 “souvenir packs” of cards [pictured], also unwritten.

6 Likes

Also doch ein d und kein t.okay, a d and not a t.- i learned sütterlin pretty long ago (with ten). Too long ago it seems…
@manuchka are you still training?

I should practice more… :disappointed:

Isn‘t it wonderful that Anneliese lives on through the postcards that were sent to her?

5 Likes

Yes it is. I already googelt Elbingerode and I think it is pretty interesting…

1 Like

This can not be her in the obitusry, i did some math. But the question arises: how old was she when receiving that card’ she is adressed as Fräulein. (Miss). And is she the niece?

1 Like

She is the niece of Minna and Rudi. And she must have gotten married as the writer of the card said he addressed her with her new name.

2 Likes

Guten Tag. I know it hasn’t been a week, but my whole family has become very interested in “Miss Anneliese”. So, since today is technically the first day of a new week, here is card #3.

By the way, I have been researching as much as I am able before posting. People are wonderful for translating, but I wanted to “pull my weight” in what ways I can. Using “Ratibor” from the writing on the front, and searching the names and locations of some of the businesses shown, this appears to be a shot of the city center of a town in modern day Poland, called Ratibor (or Racibórz). I found online a very good match to the church in the postcard, by way of confirmation.

My best translation of the writing on the front is “View of the circle with Town Center and Catholic Parish Church”.

On the bottom left of the back of the card is the printer’s designation from a card series, apparently, “Genuine Copper Printing”. If the card was printed with copper, that may help explain its reasonably good condition almost 85 years later.

It bears the green 6ph Hindenburg stamp, and is postmarked Nov 1, 1939 (one day after the message was written), and appears to have been posted from Ratibor itself. It is the same hand as the Helmut who wrote card 1.

Front, back and close-up of message:

(sorry about the punch marks - they were there when I got these - I can photo shop them on the front, but not the back)

1 Like

Seems like that. Was it possible to read the date of the stamp? I suspect “Kinderlandverschickung” during second world war. (Marthaheim doesnot seem to be a vilage but a (whatever is that called)???

2 Likes

@Wynnie you show the cards in wrong order - the first one you posted is dated 1941 (when the writer said Anneliese has a new name - married probably), the second 1940, this one 1939.

1 Like

Yes, I wish I had known when I started to put in order all the “Anneliese cards”. There are 13 written to her in the box. This morning, I looked at the dates and started back with the oldest one I could find. Once all her cards are sorted, I might see if PC would like to do a Blog post, in order, of her cards. It’s a neat peek into her life and the history around her.

3 Likes

But she is still adressed as Fräulein on the card. That cannot match, i think.

1 Like

Did you notice that on the first card, the date written and the postmark date are a full year apart? Someone pointed that out in a PM, and I can’t explain that, either.

The post and everything else did not work proprrly during war, perhaps that is the cause? We could ask somebody with postal knowledge…

1 Like