Have a yarn

Oh that’s so strange! It works fine for me. Let me know if I can help out with it.

I just bought a few Christmas Stamps for overseas. It will make a difference! The Christmas Maxi cards are ok - not a fan myself but hopefully people all over the world will like them.

1 Like

I’m just showing off some new fabric.

6 Likes

That’s a great design! What are you planning to make with it?

It’s going to be a snail shell.

Snail Mail. I’m very witty.

3 Likes

Would love to see the finished result :wink:

I’ll post it here, i’m planning to use it as a travelling toy depending on how tidy it ends up

3 Likes

Well let me complain about the weather! Australia has been undergoing extreme weather events for the last couple of years, specifically flooding of large areas of the Eastern States. Many of our AU members have been impacted.

Currently the Murray River is in flood from those states and it is working its way down towards the river mouth.

I live on a Hindmarsh Island in the estuary of the river mouth and the flood is coming!

I am also having a new house built there (we knocked down our existing house nearly two years ago and are living elsewhere). Construction finally started on our build in September this year.

I have a half built house currently.

We expect to be flooded early December through to February is the latest predictions.

This is from the 1956 floods.

Even if it stops raining in the Eastern States right now, that will not stop the flood already inundating communities, towns and lives.

It is like watching a slow-moving train wreck.

So how are things at your place?

For reference this is how Hindmarsh Island usually looks.

Wow! I knew it was bad and I guess we never know really how it is unless we are in it.
I just hope, mundoo, that you don’t lose what is already built. I wish you all the best!

1 Like

So much flooding in 2022. So devastating. As someone affected by the floods earlier this year recovery is long and hard road even if you are insured. I’m glad I’ve had Postcrossing to distract me at times.

1 Like

Oh gosh, wishing you the very best @mundoo! That is scary, and even more terrible when you know it’s coming but can’t do anything to prevent it.

Things are starting to dry up here in Albury-Wodonga but there’s still substantial flood water around. The most horrendous outcome is the mosquitos, who of course breed in the stagnant water. There are just obscene numbers of them everywhere. The council has been spraying in certain areas but who knows if it’s helping.

1 Like

Our council have been offering the DEV vaccinations here but you must be a resident or worker on the island or outside for 4 hours a day.

it is certainly crazy times
i live in the central west (nsw) and we have had so much rain we don’t go outside without gumboots on - and yes it’ll all eventually flow mundoo’s way

within 1.5/2 hours of me we’ve seen absolute devastation in small towns
forbes floods often
condobolin not as often
molong(35km) does flood but not as extensively as this last one
and the little town of eugowra is just about washed away - about 700 residents are affected - there is probably not a house there which has had water in it - some floated off their foundations down the road

absolutely devastating - other little towns canowindra and cudal have also been flood affected

if anyone has ever been through cowra - the big bridge there was under water too - something to see!

this time last week roads all over this area were cut by floodwaters so getting anywhere was either a nightmare of diversions (extra distance) or just staying put

givit dot org dot au is the place to donate goods or funds all over australia for whatever purpose, not just natural disasters

hope it all dries up, the water flows away soon

:wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for reminding me about givit @IndigoAngel!

Curse my honesty! Went to the PO today to stock up on stamps and with 10 $3.70 and 10 $2.90 she said “That’s $29” and I reminded her about the other ones.

I mean I’d have felt awful forever if I’d not said anything, but even so!

4 Likes

I know what you mean. Also at the end of their day when they were doing their balancing they would have been out and maybe it would be remembered that it was you as the amount was significant. Makes life difficult if you regularly use that PO to buy your stamps.

1 Like

Was strolling through Google street view in Tasmania yesterday and I spotted this :smiley:

7 Likes

Does anyone know if Australia Post is releasing a Chinese New Year postcard and stamp? If so when?

They are. You can read about it in the latest bulletin, but these come out on 17 Jan.

3 Likes