Hard to Please?

Postcrossing is a matter of interaction, you do not do it just on your own, that is the difference to jogging or to solving a crossword in less than 7 Minites.
In order to become the top sender of your country, you have to send many cards.
As long as you send postcards, that is okay. But we have already had people, who presumably did not send cards but just requests to register the IDs. I remember, that this was discussed on the old forum. And there are obviously people, who send masses of cheap cards, while themselves just asking for expensive ones. That is not against the rules, but from my point of view it is not really okay.

6 Likes

Oh yes, I see what you mean now. Thanks for the further explanation. :wave:

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this topic back on-topic, @RalfH

1 Like

Crossing my fingers when I get an address didnā€™t work today.

I got : ā€œI am a student and I donā€™t speak Englishā€.

That was IT.

Since I donā€™t speak/write that personā€™s language, I wondered what I could possibly write which might be understood. As Paulo said, this project/hobby is all about communication and connection, but I felt no connection and there was zero chance of communication. I really donā€™t like the phrase ā€œhappy postcrossingā€, itā€™s like a clichĆ© now that Iā€™ve seen it so many times, it seems so careless to me (as opposed, presumably to what was intended) that I wouldnā€™t write that to anyone.

In the end I carefully wrote in block capitals (for ease of translation?) that some more information on profile would help, and wished them well for Christmas. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I donā€™t understand how this fits this topic. Surely this person is not hard to please as they donā€™t have requests on their profile.

It is, indeed, about communication and connection. And, in my opinion, itā€™s also a lot about empathy, which the world needs a lot more of these days.

Itā€™s very possible the person is making an effort to expand their horizons by joining a website in a language they donā€™t understand well. Thatā€™s something I would probably think many times before doing it myself, for fear of embarrassing myself.

They will probably manage to translate what you wrote, so I see it as a good opportunity to show a young student that the world has many friendly and welcoming people.

Having said all this, I hope this topic doesnā€™t turn into a complaint corner about other people. Letā€™s try to keep the discussion productive or at least constructive, or else I donā€™t see the point of keeping this open. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to improve things?

36 Likes

If you had asked in the forum, Iā€™m sure someone could have helped you to translate a little message into the recipientā€™s language. Iā€™m offering my help for the future. Feel free to ask for translations into German, French or Italian.

12 Likes

I like this idea. Could we maybe have a thread somewhere here where members can offer card writing translations? Google translate is such a poor tool sometimes and this would give a great chance to communicate more.

11 Likes

Yes, yes, yes! That would be great. We have the ā€œtranslate this card for meā€, but it would be nice to have the reverse. :smile:

3 Likes

It could be calledā€¦ Translate me for this card

13 Likes

@Kompis-Ninna, @alter3ch0, is this ok?

7 Likes

I think, these people disappear after a short time, for they will not be satisfied with this non-communication. But you are now the unlucky one, who should try to please this person without knowing anything about her.
I suggest you send her a nice view card of your area and write a few short sentences about the card and then let it go.

2 Likes

As someone who teaches beginning English to adult immigrants, I often end up needing to communicate with people when we donā€™t have much shared language. Itā€™s still nice to say hello, even when itā€™s frustrating that you canā€™t say a lot to each other.

I find that people beginning to learn a language are most likely to understand short sentences about basic daily topics. ā€œI have two children,ā€ or ā€œI like to cook,ā€ or ā€œthe weather is cold here,ā€ or ā€œI live with my mother.ā€ Also, short direct sentences are likelier to make it through Google translate in one piece. The more clauses you have, the more problems you have.

Anyway, itā€™s still nice to say helloā€¦

21 Likes

It reminds me of a friend of mine who I recommended this site to said he liked this until professional collectors took over and it imbalanced things.

3 Likes

Professional collectors? :puzzled:
How did he come to that conclusion?

Possibly like the person you mentioned?

Those persons havenā€™t taken over anything, they are just very few and I doubt that they can earn any money from their behaviour.

3 Likes

Hello, fellow EAL teacher! :wave:

Thank you so much for this, @paulo :pray: I invited a student who doesnā€™t speak English fluently (yet), and have thought of showing Postcrossing to others, but I need to feel confident that people will show them empathy and make them feel welcome :slight_smile: if they receive a card telling them they did something wrong, theyā€™ll never send a postcard again.

14 Likes

That is kind of you! I enjoy seeing your kindness around.

1 Like

Iā€™d send one of my food sketches. I donā€™t put them in envelopes ever and Iā€™m going to at least write Hello from Hayward on it.

I would hate to see the thread shut down!

To me,sometimes one really just wants to vent, and there is nothing wrong with that (as long, of course, as whomever you are venting about cannot be identified)! And there are definitely some roll-your-eyes hard-to-please profiles on the Official site.

I agree that some posts in the thread seem to create problems where none exist ā€“ and I think that your answer in this case was spot on. But that also happened in the old Forum, and sometimes it also got a bit ā€œflame-yā€ although because fewer people participated, it was shut down sooner I think.

If I remember correctly, in the old Forum if someone started complaining about someone undeservedly or if a conversation got too personal it would be reported and the post(s) would be removed. Discourse also allows us to flag things if we think they are out of line. Maybe people should take more advantage of this.
I donā€™t know how much of a burden it would be, though, because of the increase in New-Forum activity.

Another solution could beā€¦if you are complaining about a ā€œpickyā€ profile, make a concrete suggestion about how to improve it! For example ā€œIf they would remove the huge ā€œnoā€ list at the end, I would be really happy to send something from their wishlist.ā€

10 Likes