Hard to Please?

I have just seen a profile which was so full of ‘I Don’t Like’ and ‘Don’t Send Me’ without any grace (such as the word please) that my jaw dropped. I don’t understand how these people can get away with it, when I was writing my profile the software continuously told me NOT to write specifics like that. :puzzled:

11 Likes

Speaking for myself, as someone with the collector gene, it’s more about mental space than physical space. The only type of postcards that I actively collect are UNESCO cards. I like a lot of other topics, am happy to receive them, will put them in an album. And all postcards are great anyway, for the message and the interaction.

But I only get granular about UNESCO. Because when you are seriously collecting something, you start thinking about checklists, and ways to find the rare things, and getting that last one on the list. You have to spend time keeping lists maintained and albums updated. And it can become obsessive. Think about LP collectors who have to find that rare Japanese bootleg live album with the error on the sleeve, they only printed 1000 of them, got to find it!!

Whereas, with other topics I like, it is more like gathering - send it to me, I’ll like it, appreciate it and keep it, but I’m not doing it in a systematic way.

For mental health, and in order to be a regular member of society, I need to only have one obsession!

Of course, it depends how you define a collector.

17 Likes

That is rude! :frowning:
I had pulled one or two of these profiles years ago and reported them to the staff so that they could turn to that member to ask it to make the profile more friendly and maybe keep an eye on them. Well, my cards were registered.
However, those rude profiles exist and they are a pain in the neck, but they are very rare and should not bother us too much! The next profile will be more friendly! :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I really don’t want to get into reporting profiles to staff, it’s not my style. That way lies doom, I think. :neutral_face:

Have you ever got a new address, and read the (very limited) profile over and over again, and even if you have a vivid imagination :white_check_mark:, couldn’t think of a single thing to say to that person, nor which card to send them?

19 Likes

[quote=“SailingBy, post:45, topic:9724, full:true”]
I really don’t want to get into reporting profiles to staff, it’s not my style. That way lies doom, I think. :neutral_face:[/quote]
I was so upset, that I reported them. But, of course, you are not oblieged to cope with it like me.

Honestly no, for I think, in these cases I would not have a vivid imagination. Profiles with just very few text about the addressee are a bit difficult to me. In these cases I may just write “Happy Postcrossing!” because I do not want to bother too much.

2 Likes

As for me less information - more freedom choosing a postcard.
When it is an empty profile without favorites, I just choose a card which I like and write something about the card and a few words about myself :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

I have no problem with that. It doesn’t matter even if there isn’t much information. Then I usually send a view card or something from a local artist. And I always write the cards full. I just tell them about myself or the weather or something about what is on the picture of the card or the book I’m reading… oh the list is endless. I never send cards just saying happy postcrossing because I’m very dissapointed when I get those. Of course sometimes people just don’t know what to write or they don’t know English so well, so then it’s easier for them just send a card like that.

18 Likes

Same. I mostly talk about the card or of where I live. Of course if the profile is very chatty there is a lot more that I can say, but if there is not a lot of info, I just let the card inspire me. I have occasionally felt a bit uninspired seeing a profile with only info about cards they like and not the person, that doesn’t stop me from writing a lot but it makes it less natural and pleasant for me. Empty profiles are easier because you are not bogged down by requests.

6 Likes

378/5000

The most important thing here is to keep the postcrossing process going and so, bring joy to everyone. Always the best choise is to send a card :slight_smile: . I think, a longer experience will make people play with their profile and find ways to get the cards they want. Something what happens is this: If someone only wanted a flower card, and I will go shopping for it, I would definitely buy more than one I like. And so this shopping adds cards, that are not in my wish list, to the sending album and will be sent away some time.

6 Likes

“Send joy” <–I like that.

10 Likes

I did yesterday, the person only wanted children’s characters or cartoons, and all they said about themselves is that they are the proud parent of (details about their child). Their “received” album is solely that type of cards, so I suspect they don’t register certain cards, or delete cards they don’t like. I’m sending a comic strip of a cat, wrote about my in-laws’ cats, and really hope they register it :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

Not registering cards is very much against the rules and very disrespectful to the senders and to the spirit of Postcrossing, if you allow me this expression. Deleting cards from the wall is fine as there are no rules about it, though some people take offence. It is easy to see, if their wall has X number of cards but their received are a lot more, then it’s just a case of not all pictures being recorded. A lot of people have incomplete walls, it’s personal preference.

16 Likes

I am SO happy this topic exists. When I receive one of these “hard to please” profiles, it takes all the wind out of my happy sails. I’m so excited to read the profile and get started on finding the perfect card and then poof - I’m hammered with a long list of dos and don’ts (apologies for the mixed metaphor), sometimes even down to the number of stamps I should use. Sometimes I’m sorely tempted not to send a card at all, but ultimately I do. Because that’s all part of the game! Just glad to have folks I can complain about it with --I was starting to wonder if I was the only one! Happy posting all! KareninMaine

24 Likes

You’re welcome in any way!

1 Like

I am quite new to Postcrossing. I am a bit surprised at times. I have come to the conclusion that some people like to collect postcards and some like to learn about people. I have only gotten one postcard so far that just said, “Happy Postcrossing”. I was so disappointed. For me finding a postcard in my mailbox makes me happy. For a couple of minutes I learn about someone in another Country. I can pretend I am there for a moment. Due to the Pandemic I am unable to travel. So Postcrossing lets me feel like I am traveling for a moment :blush: I am pretty simple–I just like touristy postcards and a nice message from the sender. :mailbox_closed:

27 Likes

Oh Lordy. I’ve got to send a card to someone who only wants cards of fairies, pixies, gnomes, elves, magical creatures, mermaids and so on. I don’t have any cards like that. In the end I picked a card of a woman on a boat in a river and made up a story about her. I hope that will do. The rest of the space I filled with stickers. :slightly_smiling_face:

22 Likes

Now that fairy/mermaid request I could have satisfied, but at times my collection just does not ‘fit’ and I end up choosing something quite random but hopefully nice. At the moment it’s easy to blame it on not being able to shop for cards in person as well.
Anyway most people who do have specific requests also include much wider preferences which helps a lot.
But on the opposite end of the spectrum, what do you do with empty profiles? I tell myself that the person probably struggles with English or is not interested and so I stick to a short greeting and choose a local view card. If they’re a relative newbie I mention that a profile entry would help.

6 Likes

They used to upset me, inasmuch as I get upset about anything to do with this hobby. Now I send any card, probably one I want to get rid of, and write about the card. I used to mention that writing something on their profile would help, too, but now I’m afraid I don’t bother after getting a brush-off from the last time I did that. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

I have started to write on card “I didn’t have anything that matches your profile, so I did a random selection from the card pile and this is the one you won!” if I don’t have anything from the wishlist. So far nobody has got upset about that, and I think it might be kind of gentle way to hint that the wishlist was bit too detailed.

41 Likes

Wow @Kompis-Ninna, I really love that idea! :clap:
In these cases I usually pick something nice in my opinion and explain why I sent that card to them. :blush:

3 Likes