Handmade... Is this really a postcard?

I actually really like receiving handmade postcards - I have received some that are truly works of art (I received a hand-painted watercolor card of a bride that I have in my wedding album - it was that beautiful), and just this week I received a card that was literally lots of different washi tapes and stickers - that took a lot of time to make, and I love it. That being said, I know that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and as I have absolutely no talent, I try to send cards from their “wish list” of topics and will sometimes make a drawing on the back, if requested. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I must say, I like handmade postcards :heart: And if someone have it in his/her description, that he/she like to receive a handmade postcard, then I look to make a unique and wonderful self created card like, this four here… =) And I think that postcards are postcards like other usual postcards, too :slight_smile: but more unique :wink:

22 Likes

I really love this card! Something about it brings to mind the Pantone color chips. And yes, you have an eye for composition!

I absolutely think that handmade cards count as postcards, and I enjoy receiving them. As others have said, the message on the back is what is meaningful to me, but I definitely notice when people take the time to pick out or make a card that fits my interests.

3 Likes

This is the part I like. The personal connections with this postcards. Sometimes, some sent a small part of themselves.

5 Likes

i would like to transform this teabox into a postcard that i will send to myself: the cardboard is not thin and i think it could survive to the trip.
i have never made a handmade postcard before.
any advice :question:

13 Likes

This teabox is beautiful! I wouldn’t change it too much. You might want to check if your postal system has any regulations in terms of maximum size/weight of postcards. If not, you could just write you message on the back, put a stamp on and send it of.

If it is too big and needs to be cut, then I would probably cut out the little pictures and assemble them in a collage.

I’m sure you’ll think of something and I’m looking forward to see a picture of the finished card! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

thank you :grinning:
the teabox is 13x21 cm and i already sent and received some postcards of that size :grinning:

1 Like

What a nice box!

Since you know the teabox is a size you can send, I would just do it!

I would be sure the edges look nice after I cut it (maybe round them, if possible) and then also decorate the back with coordinating washi tape or a design. Maybe there is another part of the box that can be cut out and used as an accent on the back, or washi tape with a coordinating design or color, so the back looks more interesting.

Also, with a thick cardboard package I often run a marker in a coordinating color around the edges. Makes it look a bit more “finished” than just having the raw cardboard on the sides.

5 Likes

@ColorfulCourtney
@wurzelsofie

i sent it to myself on the same day i cut it and i received it today safely :grinning: :mailbox_with_mail: :grinning:
i did nothing special, just some washitape, and i am glad it didn’t get damaged during the trip :grinning:

7 Likes

I make handmade cards but I haven’t sent one yet. Somehow I think of them as a completely seperate hobby. You can see my handmade cards here http://instagram.com/waxwing_shadow and judge for yourself. Some of them are not very good and some are better, I just enjoy making them for whatever reasons. I usually give them to people in my life who really like them but without posting, because I am always afraid they will deteriorate in posting and upset the recipient. But I received one handmade card from a postcrosser in Spain and it arrived whole and is very cute. So maybe I’ll send one of mine too some day, who knows, and see what happens.

10 Likes

I thought that was pretty!

1 Like

They are beyond awesome!

2 Likes

Selfmade postcards are lovely!!! They’re creative!!! I love them so much!!!

2 Likes

Thank you! Some people really like them, especially children. In fact, I started doing them after I bought a special cutting machine as a birthday present for my younger daughter :grinning: But are they really postcards? Especially when people expect something else completely. I am not sure myself.

They look amazing and so well-made! You shouldn’t hesitate send them if you want to. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! You are very kind. I came upon so many profiles that explicitly ask not to send them hand-made cards it made me doubt if anyone would really want them. Not many people know, perhaps, that art shops actually sell high-quality and quite expensive watercolour paper cut in the size of a regular postcard with printed address lines on the other side. Very convenient if you want to draw a card yourself.

2 Likes

I thought so at first, too, but the more cards I send the more postcrossers I meet who are actually quite fond of handmade cards and even send them out themselves! :slight_smile:

You might want to have look here where you’re very welcome to join! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Do they have a “blank” side to write on, attach the stamp + put the address? Then they’re postcards! And they are beautiful!

4 Likes

You are right. And I was just getting my rubber stamps out to decorate an envelope :blush:The truth is, I haven’t done a handmade postcard for a year. It seems that postcrossing will push me into it again​:blush:

3 Likes