Hand-writing Chinese Addresses: The Cheater's Way šŸ˜œ

Iā€™ve received few cards with my Traditional Chinese address, I think these are cute, the first one Iā€™ve received was from a German and one of the characters was too hard to write I assume that he didnā€™t finish it, really cute haha

2 Likes

He got tired halfway through, maybe? :sweat_smile: Iā€™m always afraid of omitting parts of a character myself!

No, it was the second character, the rest of them he did well!! But Iā€™ve drew a postcrosser who only leave the Czech address and there was another one who only leave the Russian address, I thought I did them really bad

1 Like

Probably not! Iā€™m sure you did just fine. :relaxed: Even if letters look funny sometimes (mine do), postal services interpret all kinds of handwriting, and still manage to deliver the mail!

1 Like

Yes, I think that, too! Theyā€™re really good at recognize all kinds of handwriting!

2 Likes

that is smart for any asian country i am taking Japanese it is easy at some points but its hard righting the letters

I love it as well as the ā€œstolenā€ font! :joy:

Itā€™s a little impractical for me right now, though, mainly because it takes extra time and effort, haha. Iā€™d enjoy giving it a go one dayā€¦ I do have tracing paper on hand. :slight_smile: I just copy by eyeing it, but to be fair, I took some Chinese classes back in the day (wowā€¦ Iā€™m not as old as that made me sound) so itā€™s mainly just writing practice for me. My main issue is trying to get the address in English and Chinese to fit!

1 Like

Recently, for the first time, I tried copying a Chinese address by hand, without using a ruler or tracing paper!

I was terrified the entire time of messing up (especially the recipientā€™s nameā€“thatā€™s the last thing I want to look sloppy), but it turned out okay! :open_mouth:

Still, I was tempted to go back to tracing. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Yesā€¦ I get borderline nervous as well, haha. I donā€™t want to deal with white out/correction tape and make the address look all messy. Especially their name! :scream: I did use a fine nib and the address turned out well on my most recent attempt, so yay.

I think Iā€™ll try your method the next time Iā€™m given an address to a Chinese-speaking country, just for fun. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi everyone!
I think that China Post didnā€™t widely use machine to classify the mails now. So to a person, itā€™s easy to read addresses in Chinese break in anywhere, since Chinese addresses didnā€™t break at all.
For example, when we writeā€œå¹æäøœēœå¹æ州åø‚å¤©ę²³åŒŗā€(Tianhe District, Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province) , it is actually like ā€œguangdongprovinceguangzhoucitytianhedistrictā€. But everyone, who could read Chinese, can break it like ā€œå¹æäøœēœ å¹æ州åø‚ å¤©ę²³åŒŗā€ easily. So even if you break character and character in random places
(like
ā€œå¹æäøœ
ēœå¹æ州
åø‚天
ę²³åŒŗā€),
they can still recognize it easily.
When I send letters to friends in China, I always just write them in order and break to another line when this line is full.
But,donā€™t break a character!
If you write like
ā€œå¹æäøœēœå¹æ
州åø‚å¤©ę°µ
åÆåŒŗā€,
it will be confusing!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

Iā€™m actually afraid to write an address in Chinese as I understand that getting one single stroke wrong will ruin the whole thing. ā€œWhere is Great Pig Street?ā€ ā€œWhat are these ā€˜Mud Buildingā€™ apartments?ā€

There are addresses in ethnic minority autonomous regions, which are transliterations from non-Chinese languages and therefore fairly long. Even this cheaterā€™s way may become more laborious :laughing:

1 Like

WHY all the effort when in the end youā€™re using a sticker anyway? :astonished:
There are stickers you can print on directlyā€¦

Consider the old-fashioned method with a pencil.

1 Like

Same reason for me not to try to write Cyrillic addresses.:rofl:
By the way, the postmen donā€™t have the responsibility to deliver every postcard according to the present laws in China. So they could give up easily when recognizing a confusing address. So if you are not confident about your handwriting addresses, just print them.:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

First of all, this is all meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I never said it was low-effort; only that itā€™s cheating.

I now write Chinese addresses the normal way for a Westerner: by sketching the characters faintly in pencil, then tracing with a pen, being careful not to ruin them with my tears.

Second, not everyone has a printer or label printer at home. Whatever method you use to write your addresses is fine. I just figured someone could get a laugh out of my unnecessarily complicated process.

This made me laugh; thank you. :rofl: Also, thanks for the clarification about line breaks!

1 Like

Thank for you sharing that show me how hard the Chinese writing it is

After watch that , I very want receive your hand write postcard with my address ,but pity is deliver has been banned

1 Like

Oh, donā€™t be discouraged! I think that only parcel service from the US to China is suspended at the moment. I believe that regular letters and postcards can still arrive to most cities (except those under strict lockdowns).

I recently had a parcel returned to me as undeliverable after I sent it to a friend in China; I feel so sad to see my little box waiting to leave againā€¦:sob: But as far as I know, US-China mail is still functional for cards! (I hope!)

1 Like

Oh, I found this a day too late :slight_smile: Yesterday I got an adress in Taiwan and was a little confused, that the five rows of adress were going down to three in the native signs. I printed out this quite big, because it looked so small that I am feared, its not enough for the postworker there :slight_smile:
Next time I try handwriting it, cyrillic adresses are not such a big problem, one by one and not getting bigger :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing that they were traditional characters, too, which can be very complex!

I think that in general, recipients in any country are grateful for whatever method you use to address their postcard, whether you write it yourself, print it, trace it, lithograph it, etc. As long as the card arrives, youā€™ve made a happy connection with another Postcrosser. :blush:

1 Like