Hand-writing Chinese Addresses: The Cheater's Way 😜

You are just amazing! The effort you put into it… WOW! :star_struck:

1 Like

If you try Traditional Chinese.You will find it is the most hardest word to write.Like 中国 and 中國,龟and 龜(Turtle).Chinese is a hieroglyph.
@PinkNoodle

1 Like

Oh yessssss. If you thought Simplified Chinese was hard to write, you thought wrong. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

@aegisW, I just had to zoom in about a dozen times and put my face super close to my screen to see all the little details! :sweat_smile: Maybe I will write to someone living on Turtle Street sometime!

2 Likes

Yea,lots of traditional chinese character are much complex than simplified chinese.
You can see the Turtle from oracle bone script to simplified chinese,You can find out the claw,head,shell and tail on it.The Chinese is much harder than other language to write is because it’s two dimension(consider as painting),not like Arab, Cyrillic, Latīn or Devanagari they all in one dimension.

@PinkNoodle

13 Likes

Yes. I NEVER wrote the address in English if I wrote it in characters or Cyrillic. Things arrived and the USPS can get over it.

2 Likes

I’m glad that you posted that picture, because I thought I was crazy for imagining that 龜 actually looks like a little turtle. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :turtle:

1 Like

Yea.Chinese much like Ancient Egypt hieroglyph.But we are the only hieroglyph language still using now days.
Like fish

Moon

River

You can find Chinese are much interesing in word language.
@PinkNoodle

13 Likes

WOW. That is really, really cool. :star_struck: Maybe I’m imagining things, but these two characters for “fish”…

fish

…also remind me of this cormorant…

…who eats fish himself! :grin:

4 Likes

Here is the Bird eat fish.@PinkNoodle :rofl:

Also some thing interesting in Chinese.
Sky(The circle on it means the thing above a man)

Water

Fire

Tree

9 Likes

Which brings me to my favorite thing in Chinese!:

14 Likes

No differences in the use of ß between Austria and Germany. We had the same emperors for centuries, remember :stuck_out_tongue: (and the same monster too (with all his loud and silent enablers) :-1: :-1: :-1:).

Those superunique Swiss, on the other side …

1 Like

WOW :laughing: @PinkNoodle Watching the images of your process is even more tiring than reading it before. I showed your card to my friends and told them what you did for it. They were all shocked. :smile: Thanks again for your beautiful card and perfect handwriting.

I understand that people who don’t know Chinese might be afraid of making mistakes which will change the destination. And Chinese is quite difficult to write cause you may not even know where to shart. But if you’re interested, just have a try, like drawing.

I shared my concern of losing cards with English address with other postcrossingers before. They kindly tried to write Chinese and did a pretty good job! :partying_face: I really appreciate all the efforts they made. :heart: And the handwritings are actually very clear! Like people from other countries, every Chinese have their own “fonts” growing up so the postmen can easily recognize addresses written by people who don’t know Chinese and write addresses very carefully. :wink:

Here’s a tip for sending cards to China no matter with Chinese address or English address: highlight the POSTCODE. Postcode in China has 6 digits and it can narrow down the destination to a few blocks. Just highlight the postcode and your card shall arrive soon! :ok_hand:

18 Likes

It reminds me of a card I received from Japan. The sender wrote my address with font that looked like something printed out from a computer.

I think it’s lucky that you can write addresses in English when you send cards to Hong Kong, as the Hong Kong Post is so used to English, or else you’ll have to write in traditional Chinese and it’s more difficult :joy: But writing in Chinese when you send them to China is necessary, as sometimes the Post doesn’t really recognize the addresses well and fails to deliver them.

And that’s really interesting to know how people who don’t speak Chinese languages can still write address in Chinese. I appreciate that you like writing in Chinese and put effort in doing that :wink:

2 Likes

I really do! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Well, at least tracing Chinese…for now. Someday, I will actually try writing the addresses, probably on a larger postcard or a package, because my letters will probably be massive. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

haha yeah in switzerland we just go with double S. We learn it like that in school :slight_smile: As we have 4 official languages, we had to simplifie at least a few things I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

I just love writing adresses in Chinese, it’s so exotic to me haha!
Started with writing both English and Chinese, but got bored and now I only write in Chinese although I have no clue. I enlarge the adress on my phone, so I am sure not to miss a line. As for the break in the middle of a meaning, I bet they can get over it! When I look at the terrible handwriting my boyfriend has I am always surprised the cards get delivered even within Germany. So, it seems a lot can be guessed, I am hoping this for my Chinese handwriting too, and I never had any problems. Plus, the Chinese recipients seem to be quite happy about it. I got a lot if positive feedback.

3 Likes

WOW! Thank you. I really want to understand address formats for other countries and this is a big help. I need to be more patient and practice kanji (not sure if Chinese word is same … I studied Japanese a long time ago and that’s what the characters are called) so I can write the addresses as they should be. And then, Cyrillic. I don’t think I could ever get the hang of Arabic or Thai or Hindi. They are sooooooo flowy and I’m not that artistic :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I don’t even try. I am grateful for the German appreciation for abbreviations. It was YEARS before I realized other English speaking countries don’t use abbreviations for “road”, “street”, “avenue”, etc, like we do in the States

Thank you @PinkNoodle for this very interesting, enjoyable and thoroughly educational post. Imagine what the world would be like if everyone in the world was as curious and interested in written language as everyone in this thread has been.

2 Likes