Hand-drawn Map instead of Address

Oh bless! I hope you still got them! :slight_smile:

So this seems more like “A Nightmare on Elm Street” for the mailmen :scream:

3 Likes

For the mailmen, yes; but the dogs think they’re at a picnic.

1 Like

That is not entirely true, Scottish historian and television personality Neil Oliver gets lots of mail without an full address, he posts pictures of the letters on his social media accounts.

I once visited Mount Pleasant Sorting Office and there I met the dead letter office, they try to figure out where the mail should go if there isn’t a full address, but perhaps that doesn’t exists anymore.

2 Likes

I run a used stamp appeal for Bone Cancer Research Trust and without my road name or my name these used stamps got to me! Our postmen and postladies are terrific and know me as The Stamp Lady! I have had similar addressed envelopes before even just using my name Terri Bush, Benfleet.

6 Likes

Hi well, I stand corrected. Often I’ve found Royal Mail complain if there’s no postcode. I admit it can take longer if certain information is missing, a name, first line of address, City or Postcode. It’s nice that some post does get through like in the post below mentioned by @StampLady :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My ex’s hometown address is along the rural national highway and when I ask her for her address, she wrote it as … Highway, (beside store name). No house number. It did arrived but it took long like many months. I sent it from Manila.

2 Likes

Royal Mail various times has proven to deliver such mail :slight_smile:
There are at least two postal heroes (that is, I think them heroes :slight_smile: ) who challenged Royal Mail successfully.
In the comments the book ‘Envelopes’ by Harriet Russell already has been mentioned. She has puzzled Royal Mail many times, and still the postmen delivered most of her mail correctly.
If you search on the internet using “Harriet Russell” and “envelopes” you can find various examples. For example on this blog:
https://onemorepage.blog/2012/02/20/envelopes-a-puzzling-journey-through-the-royal-mail-harriet-russell-2005 ,
and this newspaper article: www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/return-to-sender-artist-puts-royal-mail-to-the-test-955499.html .
And for this envelope the mail carrier must not be colour blind: https://laughingsquid.com/illustrator-harriet-russell-goes-postal.

The other person who challenged Royal Mail did so about 120 years ago: W. Reginald Bray.
Apart from postcards he addressed to, for example, ‘the lighthouse keeper’ (of the lighthouse shown on the postcard), or as a puzzle (like this: index ), also he sent curious objects. Even himself! See www.ladywell-live.org/2021/04/19/reginald-bray-the-human-letter-and-postal-prankster-who-amassed-the-worlds-largest-collection-of-autographs/ , and the website of John Tingey who collects W. Reginald Bray’s mail, http://www.wrbray.org.uk/.

5 Likes

Hi thank you! This is amazing, often it’s not until some tells you about these things, that you then discover them, thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi ALL! Well it came back not as I sent it but thanks to the amazing Royal Mail who opened the envelope, read my letter and then sent back the one with my map on! :slight_smile: PLEASE! This was a one off and I strongly don’t recommend you try it! I know it might be fun, but let us think of the Postal Service first… Thank you…

11 Likes

Thanks for letting us know the outcome of your experiment!
Yes, fun. No, probably not the best use of dwindling human resources.
Interesting experiment, nevertheless.

1 Like

How great that your map mail arrived home!

How about your second mail, the three word location grid addressed one? It would be great (and amazing) if that one would arrive, too.

I agree that we must not experience too much with the mail system. However, according to what I understood from Harriet Russell’s and W. Reginald Bray’s experiences, and also from the article mentioned here, Christmas card addressed to 'England' reaches right person - BBC News , Royal Mail detective-postmen do accept challenges like these, and I’m sure they must be very proud of every successful delivery :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here the postwoman knows me well. The wheelchair User man with dog behimd the church or castle and town Name works. Its often funny what i get. My Name is Jens. But Jenny some times people write ans i get the Post too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In Canada, we have postal codes but I have gotten many pieces of mail where it has been left off over the years. Sometimes a postal worker writes it in and sometimes it remains blank. I have also recieved mail with my house number missing.

3 Likes

Thank you.

Sadly none of the three word location postcards made it. One day, who knows the postal system might allow it here or in other countries.

Yes, sometimes it’s nice to try things and see where we get, and we must all appreciate the postal service where we are. :slight_smile:

All the best

Ed

3 Likes