Hand-drawn Map instead of Address

30 Likes

Yes, for that piece of mail, but I wouldnā€™t assume itā€™s going to work all the time.

5 Likes

More the exception than the rule, I would assume. But the exception went viral five years ago.

5 Likes

Royal Mail (U.K) would never deliver it without a full address or postcode, sometimes post gets to you without a postcode, but you at least need the street name and city, I wonder if a map would work, I so want to try this now! Iā€™ll let you know how I get onā€¦ lol

Ed

4 Likes

Yes in germany with my Adress it worked too. Town map and the wheelchair diver with dog and i got the letter one year ago

10 Likes

So here it is, I shall post it to myself, so I donā€™t mind if I never get it backā€¦

As a safety on the back, Iā€™m giving permission to Royal Mail to open, inside is a letter saying why Iā€™ve tried this and my full postal address, letā€™s see if the map works or they have to open it!

Ed

49 Likes

Ed, your experiment reminds me of the original 1840 postcard sent by Theodore Hook, London (1840); thatā€™s one of the reasons I chose @HookedonPostcards for my username. :wink:
Please update us in this chat regarding the outcome of your experiment. Iā€™m quite curious ā€¦
Cheers!

5 Likes

I love this experiment. Please keep us updated!

4 Likes

I am curious if it will work. I feel there is a significant difference between a place in a town and a remote farm. It the first case you need a postcode so that the letter gets to the mailman who delivers in your area. At least in CZ. The farms, on the other hand, tend to be pretty remote. So I feel you can theoretically be more vague there because there will probably be only one mail route in that direction :thinking: :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I may try that as wellā€¦

2 Likes

I wonder why the stamp on the envelope was from Iceland, as was the destination, yet it was written in English? Also the stamp bears a postmark which does not appear to extend to the envelope, making it look like a used one which had been glued on . So in answer to the question ā€œIs this true?ā€ I would say ā€œProbably notā€.

3 Likes

Someone visited Iceland on a holiday, and visited this specific farm. Later on their trip, while still on Iceland, they wanted to send a letter to the couple living on the farm.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s an article from BBC about the letter:

11 Likes

Thanks for the link to the BBC report Norwaygirl.

On the subject of unusual posting methods, I once sent my girlfriend a postcard when I was around sixty kilometres off the east coast of Australia. I was on a passenger ship on a run from Sydney to Guam, and sealed the card in a plastic container and threw it overboard. I put in a note, asking the finder to send it, and a souvenir card of the ship as well. It took around nine days to reach her! Someone found it on a beach and sent it on to its destination.

24 Likes

Somewhat related - has anyone ever tried if the three word location grid works instead of a full adress when sending mail?

9 Likes

So romantic!!! :heart: :purple_heart:

2 Likes

All sorts of address related shenanigans!
Eight times Irish postmen amazingly delivered mail against all odds | The Irish Post

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing! Delightful! :slight_smile:

So inconceivable! You must familiar with the tides so it can reach the beach not in deep sea haha

3 Likes

Not quite the same but this was delivered by an Irish Postie in County Donegal to its correct recipient.

Iā€™m sure there have been other cases, but as for a map, I think the above may be the first documented in modern times.

8 Likes