Greece Postmarks

Hey! I’m taking a trip to Greece later this year and love when there’s new postmarks (or is it hand cancellations? Still new to all of this) depending on where you are in the country. I’ll be visiting Athens, Meteora, and Santorini. If I were to send from each of these places, would it look any different? Or am I better off just sending from one of these places?

Hello!
I have visited both Meteora and Athens, and mailed postcards from Athens, Thessaloniki, Chalkidiki, Rhodes, Paros, Syros, and Mykonos. Some mailed at the post office counter and others mailed from the yellow post boxes. All of the cards arrived with a hand-stamped postmark. Some of them were not particularly easy to read due to being smudged but they were hand stamped.
I haven’t personally seen any mail sent from Greece with a machine postmark on it so I don’t know how to get one or if they exist.
At the post office counters where I got some of my cards hand-stamped, they only had a standard round date postmark available, no special pictorial ones.
The international postcard stamps from the Hellenic Post are beautiful, and larger than American commemorative stamps so you can enjoy the beautiful images on a larger space.

2 Likes

oh gotcha. thanks for all this info!

1 Like