Glue on stamps?

Hello,

I have come across some used stamps without a stamp on that might make collectors happy, but…if I re-use them I would have to glue them down. Would this ruin it for the collectors? Are there better ways?

Grateful for any answer,

Smileandgo

1 Like

Imo, i think i love more Stamps on covers or Postcards, so however you stick them , i am never gonna Soak them , because they are connected to memories, so just cherish it :slight_smile:
So you can use Glue to stick them

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

The best would be using a clue, which is based on gum arabic,

because this is water solutable.

In Germany there is such a clue available: Gutenberg-Kleber

4 Likes

Thank you! Will look out for some

We’re not talking about attaching a used stamp as valid postage…right?

If so, that’s very much illegal. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

And how could the postage stamps passed through the mail remain uncanceled, and with an adhesive layer? They must have traces of extinguishing with a stamp or, as I met by hand with a ballpoint pen or even a felt-tip pen.

1 Like

No, they are on postcards that have meant to be sent but have not been

1 Like

I am not sure I understand what you mean

Aha, No they didn’t go through the mail :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Okay, I think I know what you mean. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I would send the stamp(s) in a glassine envelope, like these…

…inside a larger envelope for mailing. You can tuck a piece of cardboard in the mailing envelope (not the glassine one) to ensure that the stamps are not bent in transit.

I bought my little glassine envelopes online; they are used by collectors and should be easy to find!

Good luck, and sorry to kill your enthusiasm previously. :laughing:

Edit: Wait…I’m an idiot. You want to use them on cards, since they have not been cancelled, right? In that case, go with @linos203’s suggestion of gum arabic!

@Robin67: Oof, it’s a felony here. The maximum penalty is a fine of $10,000 and/or 5 years in prison.

2 Likes

It isn’t illegal in Austria, as far as I know! (Unless things have changed!)

You can even cut out the uncancelled stamp and attach it to the new letter/card! You don’t even have to remove it from the original paper.

1 Like

Thank you. I actually didn’t know what those envelopes where called. I always get My postcards in those when I order from the postmuseum. I like them, so I might get some anyway thanks :slightly_smiling_face: No worries! Unsent cards looks like this:

2 Likes

:hushed:

It is illegal here to use stamps glued or taped as postage (it has to have its original adhesive, no matter if the stamp was cancelled or not, or has not been mailed), but if you have the right postage otherwise by valid stamps, I don’t see any problems with adding extra stamps for collectors. However, it feels much better idea to just send the extra stamps in envelope. Not all collectors like glue on stamps and some glue might mess up the stamps too.

If you end up adding extra stamps with glue, make sure to take a pic of the mail so you can prove it had the valid postage. PostNord is brutal and can’t count sometimes.

3 Likes

Tack! :slightly_smiling_face:

It happens all the time for my mail that goes through a super processing plant - people often tell me it arrives with no marks whatsoever which is great for those who love stamps!

1 Like

I can’t imagine that it’s allowed in Austria to use stamps twice if they’ve not been cancelled the first time. The sorting machines are able to identify used stamps and German Post imposes a 50€ penalty postage in such such cases…

It simply is fraud to use an already used stamp again. :slightly_frowning_face: As I said, I don’t believe that it’s different in Austria.

More information for German members:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that article, I used Deepl to translate it and I found it really interesting. Now I understand why German stamps have that QR code on them!

2 Likes