Giving away used postcards

I have bought a lot of cards recently, dating from ~1950 to today. Some are used and some are not. I have used the unwritten ones before for officials and in forum activities for people who like older cards.

Now I am asking myself if it is okay to offer the written cards to interested people (I just assume there are people who would want a card even if it’s used). There are personal messages and addresses after all…

The cards I have are bought from a family member of an old person who collected postcards and (I am quite sure) has passed away. So can it be assumed that by selling these cards, the previous owner doesn’t care anymore what happens with them? I am very unsure about it but the cards have pretty pictures and I’d love to give some away to people who appreciate them. But it doesn’t really feel right.

What are your thoughts?

4 Likes

I think it’s okay, I have seen people selling used postcards and if they sell them they probably don’t have problem about sharing the messages or the address. They’re yours now after all :grin:
That’s what I think about it

3 Likes

People often trade used cards on here. No problem!

2 Likes

Thanks!

Go for it if yo can swap them or if want to give away as part of a lottery, then great. I’m sure you’ll find people who are interested in the postcards. When I get used ones in a bundle of postcards, I often include one as part of a swap as a little extra item. Just to say thank you…

All the best

1 Like

I love old used cards ! It’s wonderful with story and a part of love of other people. I did some exchange and I was very happy! One Russian girl did exchange 100 used cards for 1 new , but I was late for that madly offer ) sure you can make lottery o exchange with other people . Usually I saw 10 used for 1 new , I think you will have many offer!

4 Likes

I asked the same question recently on a social media account and most of us felt like it wasn’t nice. I personally wouldn’t want cards I have sent to 1 person sold or given to another.
A lot of people do it. Some tippex the personal information out.

1 Like

It is all about ownership. There is probably nothing that says that you are not the owner at present time. So you can mostly do what you want. In collectors area all rights dissapears after a time. Anyway we present both advers and revers (front and backside) everywhere. If you display only front (motive) there is nothing to worry about. You can feel very right because used cards comes in circulation for more joy than left in a drawer or even burned as trash. My own collections are mostly used cards. Much to say and explain about that, so I don`t drag to long here.

2 Likes

I have purchased large numbers of postcards via auction and also private sale. Years ago, one member left PostCrossing and put up their entire collection of cards (3000+) on eBay. I won that auction, although she declined to sell me the lot when I offered to buy it. I would have paid her much more than my ultimate winning bid.

With Postcrossing lots I purchase, I keep many of the Stamped & written cards. Those that aren’t a fit, I either trade or resell. These latter cards, I always obscure the Official ID on the card with a black marker. As others have said there are individuals who collect mailed cards. I am always interested in purchasing MODERN postcards that are in good condition.

2 Likes

Used postcards are fascinating - the older, the better! :heart_eyes: Old cards turn up in second hand stores all the time, so I see nothing wrong with sending them to people who are interested. I love used postcards, and the glimpse of someone else’s life that I find on them is a little treasure for me. Besides, to see it from a different perspective, I would love to imagine my old cards turn up in some other people’s collection in the (hopefully distant) future, instead of being thrown away by my relatives after I’m gone :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well - you bought them… obviously you were not the initial receiver of the cards. So where is the difference between you or any other person getting those cards? None of you do have any personal relationship to the senders or the initial receiver of the cards. If you did not feel bad buying the cards that were not meant for you initially, why feel bad giving them away?

3 Likes

Maybe you’ll find the original senders’ descendants in the forum hahah. That’d be fun

6 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts on the topic.
@manuchka when I bought them I felt like I was saving them from the trash and giving them a good second life. Distributing them worldwide seemed like something more. Well I guess I am just a silly person, haha :sweat_smile:

Your answers have convinced me that indeed there is nothing to worry about. I have sent away 4 written cards today and I am happy that they will still be appreciated.

:slight_smile:

Hello… i like to collect the used postcards…my collection are given by friend and also bought from another collector…i think the used postcard has its own history…when i look trough my collecting, like reading the book…thanks for your sharing. :slightly_smiling_face::pray:

1 Like

Good morning BrokkoliKatze, I´m interested on old cards. If possible…

Hi,if you want to giveaway postcards,I’m interested.

@RadioGudi @bayankod
Sure, remember though that all those cards are from Germany only and they are all landscape/city views. If you still want to have some, send me your address in a private message :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good evening ! That would be nice ! If you don´t mind.

@BrokkoliKatze good afternoon I sent a message :hatched_chick: