General Meetup Discussions

Many have already chimed in with great suggestions. I just would like to suggest that, if you never been to a meetup yourself — and since you are in a country where a lot of meetups take place — would be best to first join 1-2 meetings to see how these events go.

To be clear, we don’t discourage that you organize your own without being to one, it’s just that taking part in one first (when that’s feasible of course) is the best way to see how they work.

3 Likes

It doesn’t need to: Postcrossing meetings have always been events in real life where people met in person (hence their name).

Postcrossing meetings started on the forum over a decade ago when people wanted to go beyond the online experience where they were already interacting “virtually” with others, but wanted to actually meet in real life and do something together like writing and signing each others postcards. Only more recently online chats started to appear during the time of physical distancing that the pandemic required.

To be clear, online chats can be great, specially during the pandemic and the fact that they can be done across borders is a great advantage. But online chats are still mostly an extension of interactions that are already taking place online (eg: in Postcrossing, on the forum, on social networks, etc) and do not replace real life interaction meetings which is what Postcrossing meetups have always been about, where e.g. people raid the town’s postcard shops :sweat_smile: and go write and sign postcards together instead of being at home in front of a screen. We hope that, slowly, as the situation with pandemic improves, these become common again — I surely miss traveling to new places to take part in meetups with other postcrossers, and I specially miss the bewildered look of innocent postcard shop owners not understanding what’s happening when a group of postcrossers flocks into their postcards stands. :smiley:

Sadly, we noticed several people were “creating” these online chats as a way to be able to print postcards with the logo (for trading postcards with it), without the event actually taking place at all with other people — it was just a way around the rules to get “permission” to use the logo. Since there’s no actual postcard signing or even group photos, it’s trivial to fake these events and just print postcards with the logo at will, for the sole purpose of swapping/collecting, which isn’t what Postcrossing is about.

4 Likes

@paulo , Thank you for explaining the reasoning behind the exclusion of virtual gatherings using the Postcrossing logo. I understand why the distinction is important.

2 Likes

Hello. I recently learned about the meetings. If I understand correctly, anyone can make a meeting but only if there is some kind of holiday in the city or you are skipping some events.
The organizer must make a special postcard himself and print it once forThe organizer must make a special postcard and print it for everyone? If someone has already given a meeting please tell me where and how you created such a card. And it can only be created by an adult or a minor too? I’ve heard that in meetings, post-crosers put stamps on cards. Please tell us about these points.

I moved your post here, you will find answers, I’m sure.

1 Like

I would like to create a meeting in a café in the city of Rzeszów with the signing of postcards. Half of the money collected from the sale of postcards I want to donate to Ukraine.
Please write your tips and how to create postcards for a meeting

@Yefrem There have been written a lot of tips already in this topic. Please have a look at these posts where there’s great information shared:

Post from July 2021 by @eta55:

Post from May 7 by @Norway_girl:

Post from May 7 by @Stevyy:

And of course the official FAQ for meetings!

It’s not a must, you could have a meeting without a special postcard and just sign regular cards. (And sometimes one of the participants offers to create a Meetup card.)

Concerning your question how to print a postcard: There are a lot of online shops where you can get photos printed, just as paper photos, or on all sorts of items, like shirts, mugs, jigsaw puzzles, or postcards. There’s always an editor to guide you through the process of creating the card. The Postcrossing logo can be downloaded from the website and inserted in the draft.

The more cards you order the cheaper they normally get, so it’s useful to ask participants how many cards they would like to order before ordering the postcard print.

You have to care about copy right when using pictures you find online, it’s not allowed to use other people’s photos without their permission. That’s why many Postcrossers use their own pictures and drawings. - But you can find websites with photos offered without fees / cost, like pixabay.

And there are rules for the logo usage too, you find them here.

4 Likes

Hi Yefrem! :wave:

Some of your questions are probably already covered by the links that @Cassisia shared, but allow me to answer a few of them more directly.

While some meetups sometimes match the date of local events so that participants can also take part of the event, that’s not a requirement! Meetups are primarily for postcrossers to meet and that’s enough excuse on its own! :slight_smile:

We don’t see a problem with a minor organizing a meetup. However, you should go to the meetup together with an adult you trust, perhaps a parent or a close friend.

Meetups vary in the activities that take place, but what’s most common is for people to write postcards together to send greetings to their friends, and very often, people sign each other cards. So, yes, in that case stamps are put on postcards — like it’s usually done with postcards I guess. :slight_smile:

This is a nice idea and I think people would be happy to help. However, in this case please don’t use the Postcrossing logo on the postcard design since meetup postcards with the logo shouldn’t be sold for more than it costed to print them — even if the money goes to a good cause as it is this one. If we would open exceptions to this rule, we would have all sorts meetups with fundraising campaigns using postcards with the logo and we can’t always verify the trustworthiness of the cause or what happens with the money collected in the end. Even if it wouldn’t be an issue here, we have to have same the rule for everyone.

That said, if you create a meetup postcards without the logo and people are not forced to buy them at the event (although I suspect everyone will be happy to help), then we don’t see any problem with it.

If you still doubts, feel free to post them here and me or someone will help.

4 Likes

If postcards with a logo cannot be sold more expensively I think that I can make one design of a postcard for a meeting with a logo (after all, it is cool to have a postcard on which it is written that such a meeting was and you were also there) and make two or three designs for donation. Thanks for the reply! And I wanted to ask myself whether I need to photoshop the postcard with the postcard postcard postcard and the date of the meeting or is someone specially engaged in this on the forum?

Should people immediately pay for postcards or at a meeting?

1 Like

Depends if the guests receive the cards before the meeting and if you trust them.

With cards I create, usually I hand them out directly at the meeting and collect the money directly. With some regular guests (or if I get asked) I send cards some days before the meeting, but they still can pay me directly when we meet in person.
Usually, there are not that many bad postcrossers out there who want to betray you for some free cards, so I’d risk paying later always. But of course you could ask for the money in advance too

2 Likes

I am sure there are cultural differences associated with meetups that I know nothing about. I have attended a number of meetups in the United States, and for each of those meetups the host had cards printed up. At none of those meetups did the host charge for cards or solicit any funds for their efforts, either in printing cards or for the time and effort organizing the meeting. Often times attendees wold offer to donate some cash; more often then not the host refused to take it.

I want to be clear that I am not passing judgement here, or suggesting what should or should not occur. Just offering up some facts fro my experience. My experiences may or may not be the norm, and i am sure it differs from place to place.

As a point of reference so you can better understand the costs associated, I just had 500 cards printed for an upcoming event using an online printing house whose services I have used in the past. In this case, I also purchased the rights to a photo from iStock to use for the card. The photo rights cost about $12.00, and the cards cost about $75.00, including shipping (funds in U.S. dollars as indicated).

Additionally, as I believe others may have mentioned, copyright issues and attribution are important in this case. This is especially important if you are going to sell the items (postcards in this case) that you make with the photo. The easiest path to avoid any issues here is to use your own work.

1 Like

Hey! Is it allowed to use the word “Postcrossing” on an online meet-up postcard? Not the LOGO, but the words. As well as the use of the word postcrossing as part of a phrase?

Yes, there are. For German meetups everyone pays for the number of cards they’d like to get (and order them with the person creating them) + postage (as most would like to receive them beforehand to prepare everything). Sometimes the host will have goodie bags for all participants (mostly for weekend meetups, not for regular ones), asking publishers if they want to donate some cards to put into these goodie bags. In The Netherlands these goodie bags are even a lot more common.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s very different!

If it’s just you, it’s not really a meeting… is it? :sweat_smile: The goal is to meet other postcrossers, make friends and do things together.

1 Like

Definition of meetup based on Merriam Webster

• an informal meeting or get-together
  • a social event for people with shared interests organized through the Meetup Internet service

Definition of meetup based on Cambridge

Definition of meetup based on Oxford

• come into the presence or company of someone, especially by arrangement

Conclusion: a meetup involving more than 1 person :smiley:

2 Likes

I just had my first meetup and to be honest it was quite intens with all the impressions!

Postcrossers to meet, postcards signing, decorating Meeting books…beside where the meeting took place (a touristic spot), having lunch together and all the interaction.

I only bought 10 postcards, but some had 50 postcards or more - in total over 500 postcards to sign…For me a lot, because I didn’t had a name stamp or name sticker…

So, I think attending meetings before organising a meeting is crucial. The host of the meeting I attended gave me a good clear explanation what to expect that day. I enjoyed the meeting a lot…but next time I bring a name stamp and/or name stickers! I will try to bring goodie bags - an unexpected surprise, but really nice to receive!

2 Likes

Hi everyone!
Please help me to find a lines about “postcards from meetups are for meetup attenders only”. I mean if one from our city can’t present on a meetup at exact day but wants to get meetup postcards, does he break any rule?
Thank you.

And if I live in Poland, can I take money for printing a postcard?