General Meetup Discussions

Hello! The link is INCOMPLETE - Meet up at the Newcastle Stamp and Coin Expo, May 2022?

Additional information still needed. I have asked in that topic.

Hello! I just created 2 new topics in the meetup forums for 2 meetups here in Oslo. I put the correct info in the calendar part but it shows up wrong. I can open them to edit it but after I click on the Done button, nothing changes. The time is correct in the other places in the topics, but not in the calendar part. What’s up, why can’t I edit this? Can someone help me?

These are the two most recent topics in the Norway meetup section. The April 28th one should be 4pm-6:30pm and the May 18th one should be 6pm-9pm.

I’ve managed to change the time by clicking the boxes below time and then choosing the correct times there. And I changed the timezone to UTC (+00:00) as well. I know that’s the wrong time zone, but changing it to UTC did make the times show up correctly

If I’ve understood it, there are issues related to daylight saving time and the fact that we’ll change from winter time to summer time between now and the time of the meetups.

You can read about that problem :arrow_right: Meetup Event time zone factoring in Daylight Saving (Summer) Time (DST)

2 Likes

Those boxes are exactly where I’ve been trying to edit the times and can’t get it to work, so that’s not the solution :frowning_face: Don’t know where else it can be edited?

I will try to change the time zone and see if that works. Thanks!

EDIT: No I won’t, because somehow it has updated itself to the correct times now. I guess I was too impatient :upside_down_face:

I couldn’t see any other way to change it. Not very helpful, I guess.

Maybe the page just needed to be refreshed

Virtual meetups are not permitted to use the official postcrossing logo on postcards created for events:

" Hello

Please be aware that the Postcrossing Logo is NOT allowed on online/virtual meeting postcards when you are designing the postcard.

regards
Vicki
Postcrossing Team"

So perhaps there is not any direct invalidation in the proposed Meetup Guidelines, but direct discouragement clearly resides in the logo usage guidelines.

When creating a meetup on the meetup page one has to choose between the country from which it will be hosted, or “other.” A virtual box on that page would make it easier.

When looking at the calendar, unless the host has designated the meetup as virtual in the title, the end user has to go through every listing to see if they are face-to-face or virtual meetups. Some easy visual designation on the calendar, or a separate calendar of virtual meetups would be extremely helpful.

While I acknowledge that virtual meetups are a small part of the overall meetup community, for some who can’t get out they are indispensable, and they are very popular amongst the attendees. You get the chance to meet postcrossers you’d otherwise never meet. Our last one had 67 attendees from 16 countries on 4 continents. We even had a group of postcrossers at a face to face meeting join us! The attendance at any of the 7 virtual meetups I have hosted has far exceeded the attendance at any of the face to face meetups I have hosted. The most recent one I went to as an attendee on St. Patrick’s Day, hosted from Ireland, had over 20 attendees. They may not be the right thing for everybody, but it would be nice to feel included. Exclusion from the guidelines, exclusion from logo usage, greater difficulty in finding them on the calendar, all of these send a message, intended or not. Postcrossing is (or should be) about inclusion, not exclusion.

1 Like

Hello Everyone!

I am pretty new to the world of meetups and have been reading the rules & guidelines posted on these forums to get myself acquainted with. I have to say the topics are very well sorted, organized and easy to find. Thanks so much for doing that!

I live in Los Angeles, California, USA and have been planning to host my first ever meetup since last year but thought was a bad idea due to the pandemic and postponed it to well, this year! I was thinking of having it sometime around the World Postcard Day 2022 :)) But before finalizing important things like the venue, time, plan and also our meetup postcard design, I just wanted to gauge the audience feedback first so I wasn’t sure which is the correct thread/place here to post this. Please do correct me if I am wrong and maybe direct me to the correct place as well.

I will be posting a general post on my Instagram (geetikasinha7) account as well to see how many would be interested to be willing to attend a Post crossing meetup here in Los Angeles! I am pretty excited about it since I haven’t come across many meetup events being hosted in the SoCal Area especially LA so I am very much looking forward to it <3

Let me know your views on it and Hope we all can connect :slight_smile: Feel Free to ping me here for suggestions/discussions or through social media.

Thanks,
Geetika Nayak

2 Likes

Thank you @eta55! I know this is an old post, but it is still very helpful. I am considering hosting a virtual meet-up this summer.

@meiadeleite @paulo @mundoo Is this still true? If so, what is the reasoning?

To me a virtual meet-up is more accessible to all interested Postcrossers than an in-person meet-up is.

The Postcrossing Logo User Manual (August 2021, version 2) and the website both say nothing about virtual meet-up cards having different rules.

Thanks for reconsidering this.

A few days ago, I made my first Meetup announcement. I put it in its own thread instead of this one. Titled: MEETUP, United States, Ocean Springs, MS, Sat, Aug 27, 2022
Should I have done that here on this thread, instead? Just checking that I did it right - would hate to be accidentally “hiding” it from a moderator who would have added it to the calendar.
Thanks!

I am thinking about organizing a Meet-Up but have never done it before. Is it OK to limit the Number of People who can attend? Is it OK to do it in a outdoor museum, possibly combined with a Guided Tour through the Place? How much work is it(how many hours of Preparation are roughly needed)? And probably most important: Are there Postcrossers out there who have Experience with this Sort of Thing and who would be willing to help me out with their Counsel?
Each and every Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Cheerio,
German Oyinbo

1 Like

Recommend you read my post from July of 2021 in this thread.

1 Like

This thread is only for general discussions about meetings. So meetings should not be announced in this thread.
The correct thing to do is what you did; creating a thread in the right subforo each meeting.

Yes, as long as the spots on the list are available for everyone to join on a first-come-first-served basis.

Absolutely. Do whatever you want. If you look through the meetup threads you’ll see that the meeting have taken place in various locations, included museums. And some have included guided tours.

That depends. You might need to book a guided tour in advance. And you might need to reserve a table in a cafĂ© or similar. Maybe you’ll create a postcard for the event.
In other cases the only preparation is to create the meetup thread and keep an eye on it.

2 Likes

My first advice: just do it :wink:

About your plans:

• keep in mind that it also takes time to sit and chat and sign cards and exchange important postcrossing-experiences. So if you have a tour befor and then maybe lunch, the whole meeting might go over several hours. Some might be interested in that, for others it might be too much. Of course, in the end it’s your decision.

(I had a guided tour/card shopping - lunch - coffee&cake at my first meeting - did work out well, still it was a long day)

• think about that some guests might use public transport, that might influence starting and ending time

• location, in my experience, should have some degree of separation from the other guests. Also it’s nice not to be forced to order every 20 minutes.

• do you plan to offer meeting cards? Designed by you? Other guests? Who?

• a sheet for every guest to check cards already signed can be very useful

You can contact me for further questions (about my! experiences - others may have different ones) or ask here, then you’d get some more different input.

Have fun, and yes, again: just do it!

3 Likes

Is it possible to organize a meeting without branded postcards? I have watched many meetings in my country, but they all had their own postcards

1 Like

In my opinion: yes, of course it is.

Meeting cards can be fun, but all other cards, esp. when from your meeting town/region, are great fun too.

An alternative way to still show it’s a meeting is a small sticker to use on the backside, something like this one I’ve used in March.

But even that is only an option, no obligation.

3 Likes