July 15, 2023, Washington DC Meetup

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Washington DC, USA
:pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: Postal Museum, 2 Massachusetts Ave NE, Washington, DC 20002
:calendar: DATE: July 15, 2023
:alarm_clock: TIME: 10AM EST
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN:
Edit 06/12/2023: Looks like we have interest so calling this a go! Edited below wording so that its not tentative, reflecting what we discussed below, and also including an updating list of attendees!

I’ve moved to the DC area but never got a chance to meet up - I’m sure there are lots of postcrossers in the region!

Proposed plan is to meet up and sign postcards at or close to the Postal Museum 10AM EST, July 15, 2023, which have its own USPS office (as well as other collectible stamps and merc of interest). Then we go for a late lunch (~1PM EST) either in the Chinatown direction (5 blocks west) or H street direction (5 blocks east). I have ideas for food places, but will depend on size of our party and reservation capabilities.

Since we are going small, we won’t do custom meetup cards, but will look to design one for World Postcard Day meetup. If you have any ideas on this, feel free to ping me!

Attendees so far:
Fat_Slytherin
KoreWrites
Peonynote
breeze2902
Nayomi
billliuyc
kawaiiWRX
miss_fortune_666
stunclock

Expressed interest but TBD:
evbirch
Nickoleeh
logicoverflow
LovelyLindaPost
superpta67

Here is what the NPM cancellation looks like!
NPM Cancellation

9 Likes

I added it to my calendar, but I have chronic pain issues so I hope I’m actually able to make it!

1 Like

Interested! I’d prefer an outdoor dining location if possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love to come! I vote for a place to eat outside too after visiting the Postal Museum. Thank you so much for organizing!

1 Like

May I be sent a card please? I am unable to get there but would love to receive one.

Yes, I am interested. Thanks you for organizing.

1 Like

I will be out of town at that time, but thank you for organizing and I hope I can come to the next one! Maybe we can do a DC meetup in the fall for World Postcard Day.

5 Likes

I live in the area and have always wanted to go to a meetup! Unfortunately I’ll be out of the country for the month of July, but I absolutely agree we should do one for World Postcard Day as well!

1 Like

I strongly support meeting up for World Postcard Day too! Thank you for the suggestion.

This is fabulous, I’ve been wanting to do a DC meetup for a long time!

I do think it might be better to have a little more lead time, but that is certainly up to you and I will try to attend either way.

Also, and someone please say if they know, but I’m not 100% sure that there is a post office at the Postal Museum. It is run by the Smithsonian, not the USPS. I haven’t been there in years and I remember a USPS sales window and probably mailboxes, but we should check on this.

1 Like

Can confirm that there is a post office at the Postal Museum! There is a stamps store that carries new releases and bags of vintage stamps. The post office clerk can take all of our cards and get it postmarked! There is also a nice seating area by the entrance of the museum for us to put together the cards.

2 Likes

What we can do is just a more casual 2-3 person meet up for July (like a small postcard trade? instead of designing and printing meetup-dedicated postcards), and plan something for World Postcard Day? Looks like the interest for that is around 5, which is a good number to start with. I’m just happy and down for anything.

5 Likes

Yet to call the museum, but I’m curious if they have any special or location-specific cancellations.

Sounds like a plan! Looking forward to it

I’m interested. I’ll have to see if I can get time off but I’m definitely interested in a DC meetup. I’m a few hours away in VA.

1 Like

I’d definitely be interested to learn more as everything gets finalized. I can always do a fun trip to DC and check out some more museums in between. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would love to attend! I went to a meetup a few years ago at the Postal Musuem and it went great. Very convenient to have the post office there to send cards right away.

1 Like

Put me down as an attendee.

1 Like

I’ve took out the “tentative” wording and updated attendee list! If your plan changes, I would appreciate a heads up. Otherwise, hope to see you there!

2 Likes

I’m interested for WPD if you do a meetup. I attended one in Baltimore last year and DC is closer for me.

I can’t make this one due to vacation, but hope you have the best time! And if anyone wants to send a card, I’d love to receive one. :smiley: