Fun news item about a 70 year old postcard reunited with correspondent's family

I saw this fascinating postcard-related story in my news feed this morning. A woman browsing in a thrift store in Los Angeles found a postcard written during World War II from a soldier thanking some people in England for donating cigarettes to him and his fellow soldiers. The woman spent a year tracking down the man and, though he died since then, she found other members of his family and then travelled to England to meet them and give them their brother’s postcard. They were so touched to see his handwriting once again … How cool is that???

22 Likes

Emencly cool. In fact this is a hobby with some collectors of used cards in Norway. Mostly back in time where receivers are not alive today. The thing is to do research with all the good tools of today (digitized sourses). Who is this person, when married, the exact location of adress (building) importance and place in society with more. Then your topic pin points the next step. Find relatives of to day and survey interest of getting hold of a card where ansestors was involved in something. I wish for this sort of inquiry.

5 Likes

Wow, I just came here to share the same story which I just found on my Google updates!
This is my recent hobby of collecting old written postcards and finding the sender or receiver (mainly receiver due to the full name and address written). Most of these cards are received from a thrift store in USA where my friend works hence all are sent on USA address. it’s easier to find details of person living in USA thanks to countless sites. It’s amazing to see even the house given in the address by using Google maps !

4 Likes

I came across a similar story yesterday about postcards being reunited many years later.

A postcard sent from a pen pal in the USA took 66 years to be delivered to the recipient in the UK. It was sent in 1955 and was never seen again until it turned up in a charity shop in Dorset, England. Someone had donated the postcard and one of the volunteers looked the addressee up on Facebook. They found the person it was originally meant to be delivered to and sent the postcard back to him!

I’d love to know why it never got delivered to all those years ago and how it ended up with whoever took it to the charity shop. How many people are likely to keep a postcard that isn’t addressed to them for 66 years?

5 Likes

Reminds me of this article (Italian version - Google translated version), of a collector who - by chance! - bought a card written by his mother almost 50 years before. This type of articles never fails to put a smile on my face :blush:

4 Likes

amazing really :grin:

1 Like

This reminds me of the movie “Letters to Juliet”, by the way I recommend the book that talks about the inspiration of the movie. 💁:heart::herb:

1 Like