Forum update (Discourse 3.0)

Thanks for the update and explanation!
It seems like it will take some time to get used to the new changes.
Is there something lost due to the updates mentioned by the members?
I’ll check it out now.
I think it’s fun to add that new little custom status :blush:
I added it too.
But I couldn’t add it.
The one I chose doesn’t seem to be an illustration.
Is it a problem on my mobile side? or are there some illustrations that are not supported?

Aaarrgghhh
Everytime I want to post something, this occurs:

Well, obviously not all of the time, but often :see_no_evil:

I have the impression that since the update the forum is responding quite a bit slower than before. Anyone else having this impression? At first I thought it was due to using my smartphone (alternating between LTE and WiFi from open access points), but it’s the same at home… so it’s not due to the internet speed :no_mouth:

And another thing I noticed is with the new notification system. It doesn’t work too well if one works with multiple open tabs. E.g. I tend to open a new tab for new notifications most of the times. Closing that tab after seeing what the notification was about, doesn’t dismiss it on the intial tab (even after refreshing) most of the times. I know there is a dismiss button, but I don’t want to dismiss all notifications (most often I still have unread PMs I want to read later).

13 Likes

It definitely is!

Whether at home or on mobile (btw. I have a real fast Internet connection, both at home and on mobile but now sometimes it feels that the forum is kicked back to UMTS times or even slower :sweat_smile:).

5 Likes

Agree!

I also always have several tabs open and have also noticed that the same notifications keep appearing in all tabs, even if I have already opened the topic in question in one tab.

And I miss in the sidebar menü "New"and “Unread” - while in the past you could get there immediately via the hamburger menu, you now have to take a detour e.g. via “Watched”, “Tracked” or “All Categories”.

And I noticed that there are small problems when you want to access “Latest”.

From a post or topic, you can normally reach it via “Everything”.
But if you have previously selected “Watched” or “Tracked”, for example, then “Everything” only takes you back to “Latest” when you refresh the page.

So my opinion is that “Latest” actually also belongs in the sidebar menu under “More”.

I don’t know if I have explained this clearly, but I hope so.

4 Likes

I definitely agree. It had been substantially slower to a frustrating degree.

4 Likes

I am so with you on that one! How is anyone’s experience improved by making us go in circles to get somewhere that was just a click away before? I just don’t get it.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed any changes in speed, neither on my desktop nor on my mobile. Forum works exactly as before.

And for once (I am usually not a fan of changes if something works well), the sidebar menu is an improvement for me :slight_smile: Since I have only ever used “Latest” and not “New” or “Unread”, I get there now with only one click :smiley:

But the problem of disappearing bookmarks has not been solved (the latest victim for me is this very topic :smiley:). Was that in the plan for this update or not yet?

I have an issue with notifications. I see a number but when I tap my icon, there is only a list of some weird old notifications and I can’t see what happened that triggered the notification.

So since the update I know that something happened but I don’t know what. Did someone mention me? Liked my post? Difficult to say… I guess it will be in one of the categories but naturally I don’t remember what notifications were there before!

2 Likes

You can dismiss the old ones, and then the new one appear under their own icon like now, but will be more clear, when the old ones aren’t there.

Edit. or this is how I got rid of the numbers, maybe there is better way to do it.

Edit. 2. So if I remembered :slight_smile: to reply to you with reply button, you should see one notification over the arrow, and my reply to you there.

The forum is definitely slower than before, but for me it only appears to be slower when using my laptop, and not my phone :sweat_smile: We have really fast internet connection in our home, but I find it so weird that it’s only slower on my laptop :woman_shrugging::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Omg, thank you! I dismissed every category (even those without a number, it behaved all weird like I dismissed likes and suddenly different category got a number…) and all the notifications reorganized even inside the categories! It looks much better now! :pray: Now I see even the notification for actions I randomly found in the threads (like mentions, replies) that didn’t show in my notifications before. If anyone is having this issue, the dismiss of every category seems to be the fix!

I had a look at the server load and I’m not seeing anything substantially different from before. Not to say some of you are not experiencing ocasional hiccups: just that I don’t think it’s due to the new navigation.

While the navigation change was done within this topic (“Forum update”), the actual Discourse update was already done back in March: we are still running the same Discourse version/installation: the new navigation was just a switch of a setting.

It could be that that the new notifications could be somewhat slower, but as I mentioned, I’m not seeing more load on the server. There are some load spikes throughout the day (when some period background tasks run) which may slow down things sometimes, but those were already happening before; they are more noticeable at the hours more people are on the forum. Either way, I’ll keep a eye on the load/speed.

The next update for Discourse (3.1) has been out for a while now and brings some optimizations, including some polishing to the Sidebar menu that should address some of the issues. I plan to start looking into that soon, but it’s unlikely we’ll actually make the update before the Oct. 1st.

6 Likes

I have another question - can someone help me find the Unread topics page please? :pleading_face: It used to be in the hamburger menu next to my profile page together with Latest topics but I only see some random categories there now. :see_no_evil: I am using the mobile version…

I have it in german, but I think the how to is understandable

There’s a drop-down-menue at top, where you can filter to the unread and so on.

Thank you!

1 Like

I’m totally confused now. The Forum main page is different from it was before. I can’t find the threads which are new (that I have not read yet). I can’t find the updated threads which were in my list of favorites before. I use only my table computer, not a phone.

2 Likes

I miss the hamburger menu on top right. I now have to open this sidebar and scroll through a lot of stuff I don’t want to read to find what I’m looking for. Please could we have the old hamburger menu back?

1 Like

A pattern that I think may be confusing some is that the old Hamburger menu add entries for New and Unread which are not on the sidebar, but they are still available.

On desktop, they continue to be at the top the categories:

On the case of desktop, the quickest way to reach them is to click on the logo at top and the New/Unread buttons are immediately there. These New/Unread buttons also allow to only show the New and Unread within a particular category as they act as Views for which topics are displayed.

On mobile, the New/Unread are within the menu at the top of the category which defaults to Latest but has other views.

Sorry @paulo , but your text is too difficult for my poor English skills. Google translator didn’t translate it clearly enough. I have to try to find the new things by searching and erring or searching and finding which is frustrating.

1 Like