Flag frustrations šŸ’”

@PinkNoodle, thank you so much for your empathy!
I do really appreciate every single word of support, especially from abroad. Iā€™ve never received so many sweet and meaningful messages at postcards before.
It makes me sure than the Postcrossing mission is accomplished and makes this project more than just about postcards swapping.

I also hope that US will rise safe and sound after such tough presidency transfer. Sending all my support to you! :fist:t3:

9 Likes

I hadnā€™t thought about the flags here being anything other than a way to indicate where the Postcrosser lives. In the rest of my life, I am not someone who flies an American flag or has its image plastered all over everything. Although my feelings about the flag probably are related to its association with right-wing politics and nationalism here (unfortunately), the truth is I probably would not fly the flag of any country. Itā€™s just not my thing and I donā€™t really see the point.

3 Likes

This is true, that is the purpose of those little flags here in the forum. But as you can see from the discussion, some have doubts to use a flag even for that purpose.

3 Likes

I do have one flag frustration and Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not alone in this situation !
I display the French flag because it is called Ā« national flag Ā» in the settings and wellā€¦ Iā€™m Frenchā€¦ But I live in Canada so I would have loved to be able to display two flags or three or four (. ā› į“— ā›.)

By the way, what do you think ? Should I displayā€¦

• :clipperton_island:
  • :canada:

0 voters

I suggest to show the United Nations flag.

1 Like

I voted Canada but my real vote depends on whether you see yourself as an immigrant to Canada or as a temporary resident. If this is just a short period that youā€™ll live in Canada then I would change my vote to France.

4 Likes

I use a flag because I want to quickly indicate my geographical position for other people. It doesnā€™t indicate my support for dictator who occupied my country. And, when I see other peopleā€™s flags, I donā€™t really think about their political views (partially because I donā€™t know that much about political situation in Canada, for instance). For me itā€™s just about whereā€™s this person lives.

22 Likes

Iā€™m English and live in England but donā€™t like the St Georgeā€™s flag as for me it has connotations of far right groups here. So Iā€™ve opted for the Union Jack as I like it and itā€™s still a good representation of where I am. I also like the European flag (I count myself as European even though weā€™ve left the EU) but felt the Union Jack helps people know where I am and represents my nationality.

4 Likes

I know the feeling.
I display the Venezuelan flag, because thatā€™s my homeland. But I live in Spain.
However, I donā€™t have the citizenship.
So, using Spaniard flag doensā€™t look right to me.

But I also understand can be confusing for people that contact you expecting a swap from Venezuela, and Iā€™m not thereā€¦

1 Like

I knew I was not alone in this situation ! I hope you enjoy your life in Spain, Arianne !

1 Like

or even Native American/First Nations tribal flag!

@CoralieR I voted Canada. But I donā€™t care which of the flags you choose. You can even choose the Inuit flag. You can change it as often you want. Allthough I have forgotten how to change flag.

If we can carry two flags then there are postcrossers who might need a third flagā€¦

1 Like

@kirankp, this topic is not about what happened at the US Capitol in Januaryā€“that was merely what made me consider whether using my countryā€™s flag would give a political impression or not. This topic is about the different reasons people do, or do not, use certain flags. Sorry for the confusion.

@HM, this is not about flagging posts; this topic is about using country flags. It doesnā€™t make much sense to me to recommend that someone use another nationā€™s flag without reason to do so, especially when it represents an indigenous people, like the flag of Nunavut.

@CoralieR, that is a tricky dilemma! I voted Canada, only because you currently live thereā€¦but no one can fault you for wishing to stay true to your roots! :fr:

4 Likes

I am originally from Finland, but decided on Swedish flag because I live here. However after some thinking I realized that I would have decided on Finnish flag if I would have been here only for a while (like for practice season or study semester) or I just recently moved in. It is quite big part of identity to decide on which flag/country you want to represent, even when it is just here on the forum :slight_smile: So follow your heart and take the one you feel fits you the best. You can always change the flag later if you notice it is the time to change.

3 Likes

Iā€™m also a Finn but I use the Union Flag. Why? Itā€™s where I live. Itā€™s where my address is and where my home is. I think it would be odd to go for any other flag!

Itā€™s a practical choice without any particular love or patriotism for the country.

9 Likes

You could also take a photo with you and both flags and use it as avatar. And then delete the flag besides the avatar. That might not be the best solution, but maybe you feel more comfortable showing both flags that way than showing just one of them besides the avatar.

4 Likes

I like this idea, Ralf !

1 Like

Just add a maple leaf to the French flagā€“done! :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

Disclaimer - The following are my views alone and not that of any other postcrosser

Without getting too Politicalā€¦

Iā€™m UK (England) born, and use the Union flag to help other postcrossers on the forum know where I am based.

As mentioned above, the English Flag and Union Flag have been hijacked by far right groups and every now and then, the ugly head of the Union flag and slavery and oppression of the British Empire comes upā€¦ Sigh

My mother is Malaysian and could use that flag, but its not really me (maybe use it when in travel mode).
I had a girlfriend from Hong Kong when at Uni and her parents had an old HK pre-1997 flag which had the Union flag in the corner. I found it interesting, but lately has become a political symbol again.

ā€¦ And I came close to living and working in Northern Ireland, and I wouldnā€™t dare to use any Flag, Ulster Banner, Union or Irish Tricolour Flag

As a joke, I would like the Jolly Roger :pirate_flag:, but I understand that the more flags, especially obscure flags such as states, provinces, counties, indigenous flags are added, it defeats the purpose they serve on the forum.

Personally, you need to have an open mind to be a postcrosser and learn to try and experience someone elseā€™s perspective who may have a different view to yourself. Iā€™ve learnt so much from my two years on postcrossing.

Itā€™s a shame, I actually like flags, just look at my favourites and youā€™ll see plenty of FOTW series postcards there.

1 Like

Exactlyā€“it could easily become very confusing at best. Having no flag displayed is always an option if someone is uncomfortable, unsure, or even opposed to associating with their nationā€™s flag, and thatā€™s probably a better way to go than adding a surplus of flags. (Although the Jolly Roger is a good choice!)

Others in this thread have convinced me to keep displaying the American flag despite prior misgivings. It is where Iā€™m from and currently live, after all. :thinking:

3 Likes