Receiving very few Postcards

Hi Madelen,

I’m new too and I’ve found this frustrating as well. I’m in a far less isolated place than you (USA) and I’ve still received far fewer postcards than I’ve sent out. Something that has helped me is joining Round Robins. There are some for every interest you could possibly imagine! With Round Robins I’m now sending and receiving cards every day. My mailbox hasn’t been empty in a few weeks.

If you want to do a postcard exchange, send me a PM. I know how hard the wait is!

1 Like

Sounds great!! I’ve seen the Round Robins posts but I don’t understand yet how it goes exactly, I need to read the rules :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I received a wonderful Postcard this morning from Prag!!! :partying_face:
Thanks so much to @Jitka-cz :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I used to live on an island too. Mail would not arrive daily and… some were missend to other islands first. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It took someone explaining the Round Robin rules to me, so just ask if you have questions! It’s easy once you get started, but I just couldn’t figure it out on my own. Happy to have you here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I was indeed going threw the topic but at the end couldn’t figure how it goes… :thinking: :woozy_face:
If you can explain me the rules that would be very nice!

1 Like

Yes! It’s like the old experience of chain letters, if you are aware of those.

The best way to learn is to lurk around the RR topics, but here’s an example: If you sign up for a RR that says they let five people join, you will send postcards to the other four people. Also, each of the other four people will send you a postcard. Each around Robin has different requirements, some have a theme, most have a timeframe in which you have to mail your outgoing postcards. It seems all have an expectation that you post a brief, thank you to each member when you receive postcards from your fellow Postcrossers who have signed up for that same RR.

I’ve only just done my first two, so I hope that’s right and somewhat clear! A post crossing friend helped me figure it out :slight_smile: The best way is to lurk and then jump in and try one! :smiley: GL!

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation!
Sounds good to me! I will try to find a groupwhere I can fit!!

1 Like

I have sent 6 and have another 6 traveling but have only received 3. I’m feeling discouraged on continuing.

1 Like

Don’t feel that way! Some places take time to get here. People have lives where they need more time to register cards after vacations and such.

1 Like

Welcome to Postcrossing and the forum @s_green :wave:

Your address normally goes out to other users when one of your sent cards is registered.
As all of your 6 cards were registered 4 weeks ago and later, cards have only been sent to you since then.
Depending on which country your cards come from, it may well take longer/much longer than 1 month for the cards to reach you.
That’s why you need a lot of patience at the beginning.

2 Likes

Welcome at Postcrossing. Please don’t feel discouraged, you will see the balance evens out when there is some more movement. It is just that some countries have long travel times, over 2 months is not uncommon. That means there might be multiple cards traveling to you as we speak.

I started only a couple of months ago and right now I have 2 more received than registered (but also some underway (both ways)).

During the wait I participate in Round Robins. I love the ‘solve a mystery RR’!

1 Like

Hi @s_green it’s ok and normal to feel discouraged, but do your best not to give up! It is slow when starting out on Postcrossing, and I see you just joined in March.
The travel times can be long, depending on which country the card is traveling from to reach you.
I consider 2 weeks to be fast, 4-6 weeks to be average, but even 8 weeks can normal from Russia or China, especially if they’re not traveling from a big city. It really varies! Hang in there!
Some members click the button so they can send and receive mail from their own country. You can update your account to do that too, if you want to receive card from US members, that will be a little faster too.
Editing to add: I see you are already receiving cards from US members, that’s probably why those arrived first. The other cards will arrive too!

1 Like

Thank you all for the encouragement. It took me a little bit to figure out how to get back to this thread so I’m sorry for the delayed reply. I appreciate the insight on timing to receive cards and will keep that in mind.

1 Like