Extremely long travel times

I sent a card to Chicago last month! It was card returned to me saying no such address! He’s active member and lucky for me I had it in an envelope so it was returned to me in Canada. The address was printed neat so I figured it was an mistake so I resent it in another larger envelope and it made it there after 10 days or so! If I sent it without an envelope it would be expiring after 365 days for sure!

Reminds me earlier this year when my daughter sent a post card to me from Jamaica in May. It was cancelled in the same town as she was staying at in September and it arrived from cancellation mark in under 2 weeks! Where was it during the in between time! She did take it the post office not the hotel mail box!

6 Likes

I can relate. I’m patiently waiting myself.

1 Like

:flushed::scream: 370?! that’s insane it took that long

2 Likes

@bunniejak I’m guessing it got caught up in the whole China Covid mail backlog that happened…and that they’re still in the process of clearing that all up. I’m just happy it finally got there!

The person had never communicated with me after I sent it…but I’m finding that’s not totally unusual in tagging :frowning:…so I didn’t realise that it had never arrived.

3 Likes

I have these two weird postcards

I have no idea what happened to them. I suppose they were lost at the post office where I sent them from, because they suspiciously arrived on the same day, so it’s definitely not the destination countries’ postal services. Well, and there is another evidence: the rest of the batch sent out on the same day never arrived.

I have some postcards that are travelling for 250-300 days now. And I am re-sending some of those. Even though the ids don’t match the country I am in now. They were initially sent from Poland to the USA, but something happened probably. So now, as I am in the USA and I think there is a bigger chance of them arriving, I decided to give them a second chance before they are gone for good.

I also have a postcard sent from Denmark to Australia in travel mode and it’s been travelling for 207 days now. That’s the one I am disappointed the most about. Postal services are extremely expensive in Denmark and I sent only one postcard. It’s sad to see it expired. I hope it finds its way to the destination though.

4 Likes

Sure? Poste Italiane can be as slow as Posta Rossija. Which country did you send them from? Ukraine?

This has happened twice recently for me. One was a postcard sent to me, to my correct address, where it was returned to the sender with a note saying no address exists. :woman_facepalming:t2: They resent it, and it arrived, ripped to shreds in a plastic bag with an apology from USPS.

Then I mailed a letter to a correct address (I double checked with my pen pal) and it was returned with a note saying no address exists.

I can’t figure out how this happens, but US mail is a hot mess lately.

6 Likes

Yes, from Ukraine. I tend to blame the local post office. Because many people have reported postcards being lost at this particular office. I suppose they just tossed the postcards into the closet and somebody found them several months later :smiley:

1 Like

to the Netherlands I send one postcard on October 1 and still didn’t arrive and the person is inactive for a month as well I also received another address to the Netherlands and it got registered in 8 days ( sending from Germany ) so I don’t know if the person decided not to register anymore or it got lost

2 Likes

In Finland, a teenage worker had done this, not delivered all mail, but hid in some large container, at her work place, affecting over 900 persons mail receiving during two years. (What made this interesting, there had not been more complaints than normally)

Another case was a person stealing others mails for many years, mainly not even opened, hoarding those in their home, along with other stolen items like trailers and bikes.

These will be now delivered if possible, after the police has documented those.

Sometimes, but luckily in rare case, something like this can be behind an extremely long travel time.

4 Likes

yeah have heard about stuff like this in Germany as well even when I worked in delivery our manager got in jail because he also stole packages

5 Likes

I fear this happened to me too, recently :sweat:
Meanwhile eight letters I sent between the end of September and 03/11 to recipients in Germany are lost. I put them all in the same mailbox.

One or two letters, different mailboxes, okay. Annoying, but happening. But not 8 letters in five weeks in the same box.

Well, I reported all to Deutsche Post and Bundesnetzagentur, let’s see what happens…

7 Likes

I mailed out a bunch of postcards from Nauru on July 28, 2023. The one I mailed to myself was the first to arrive and it was postmarked September 14 2023. It only took about 30 days to actually arrive, but spent nearly 2 months just sitting at the post office before it was postmarked.

6 Likes

USPS isn’t delivering to Russia, that may be why

1 Like

True - I ordered a catalog and it went to a random house in my neighborhood, not even the same house number, names, or street!

2 Likes

My “best” I guess you could called it experience with this was a card that expired sent to China from the USA. It was registered over 90 days later! I thought it was gone for good, but no! It did arrive! :smiley:

4 Likes

They really hurried up in Nauru to deliver your mail! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

But they did so for a short period in 2021, and that is when the posting, which you refer to, was posted.

As soon as the public postal service of country a publishes, that they do not send to country b, postcrossing inhibits, that a postcrosser in country a can pull an address in country b.

2 Likes

Something similar happened to me with lost cards. Over the summer I mailed out a group of postcards and cards that all went missing, over several weeks in different mail batches. Over 15 postcards and cards went missing (not remembering the exact number right now), but all from the same post office.
I was cat sitting for a friend, and mailed all the lost cards from the US post office in her neighborhood. Since I had successfully mailed there in the past, I thought it was a reliable location for mailing, but I learned otherwise. During the same time period, I was still mailing postcards from other USPS locations and those cards were registered as normal.
I track my sent PC cards in a notebook, writing where and when I mail my postcards, so I knew the exact details. Cards sent to personal friends and family were also lost, but I don’t write those down.
I waited until the cards expired, and gradually sent replacement cards as time and money allowed. Many of my recipients are in Germany, I knew the average time for cards is normally 2-3 weeks. All replacement cards to Germany (and other countries) arrived and were registered in the average time frame.
A frustrating experience. I even went inside to talk to a USPS staff person about the missing cards, showed them my notes, but she insisted they did not lose any, and it must have happened at the airport or something.

4 Likes

I strongly suggest filing a complaint with the Postal Inspectors. You can find out how on the USPS website. If they get enough complaints they WILL investigate. Sometimes it does not even take that many if it’s serious like checks getting stolen.

8 Likes