Expired Postcards

But in the end you cannot be sure if this user really received your mail.

Sadly, a lot of mails gets lost also at Deutsche Post which was always known for its reliability in earlier years.

If you have a good reason to think someone must have already received your card but for whatever reason is not registering it contact the support. But as long as you have no clear evidence you sent the card I think you have to let it go.

I know it can be frustrating. So this is why I stopped thinking too much about expired cards.

1 Like

Yes, when a postcard to you expires your address goes back in the pool, and another postcard will be sent to you. Unless you’re inactive.

2 Likes

I am wondering if there is a thread for those expired cards which will drop out of the list after traveling 365 days?
One of my cards to a Russian member has traveled 350+ days and the member rarely signs up. In the past one year she only registered fewer than 3 cards. I believe that my postcard won’t be registered and is there a thread for me to memorize it?

This one

2 Likes

Thank you!

There might be some slight differences: I never took photos before sending my postcards. I am not so sad about the loss of my postcard; after sending it, usually I even forgot how did it look like unless the receiver was so kind to upload the image of it or mention it in the hurray message.

But I still want to farewell the Post ID, which will disappear forever, and the member that I probably won’t meet anymore.

3 Likes

Traveling for 64 days now. Hope, it will arrive soon! :persevere::blush::+1:

Hello everyone,

I’m wondering how long your postcards travel to Russia?

Some of mine were registered between 32-37 days…some expire.

Does it make a difference in which city of Russia?

Thanks for your experience.

1 Like

The person replied to my message today! Unfortunately, they still haven’t got my postcard. I hope that it’ll reach them soon and that it didn’t get lost somewhere along the way😓

I have several expired postcards with great stamps but never bothered to write to the recipients to ask about them. Should I? Is it often that a person could have just forgotten to register it?

As a short answer I would just say: no. Let the cards go, and if they are meant to arrive, they will arrive. The rules state that we have to send a card, but not that we have to run after it once we sent it.

The long answer, if you really want to make sure: I think it depends- if the members are not sending and registering other cards, then I don’t think it’s worth the hassle to ask. Your card most likely was not the only one travelling to them, especially if they have more sent than received, or if it’s past 60 days and their address was released again to another person. If they are not active at all, chances are slim that they just forgot about yours, and more likely they abandoned their account.

Some people have just weird registering patterns- you could check if you detect this. If so, chances are high that the card still will be registered some day even without asking. For example I currently have a card travelling >60 days to a person who had half a year between their last registering sessions (June and then December), and cards were accumulated in the meantime. Not sure if asking would help with such a behaviour. I personally don’t bother and just hope that some day it gets registered.

I think the only case where asking might make sense is if the member is very active, sending and registering cards all the time. First I would check the average travel time from your country in their stats though, and maybe add a waiting time of another month to the one that took the longest, just to give it appropriate time.

2 Likes

The recipients are active and cards have been traveling for 200+ days, if two of them are to Australia and Brazil which are far away, one is to Finland, so it should have arrived long ago (not for almost a year). I think they are lost as well as one card I have sent to Canada to the forum user. It is a pity because I used beautiful stamps. Nothing can be done though. But I used to get one of my card registered after 235 days. Who knows.

Thank you for your long answer!

2 Likes

I had the exact same experience with someone from Germany who I assume is the same person. I sent a second card and that one was registered, but the first one seemingly got missed.

2 Likes

I have stopped sending a message to the receiver of expired postcards. I usually do not get an answer, or I get an answer that the postcard has not yet arrived (which I have to belive).

Today a postcard I sent to Italy arrived and was registered after 304 days.

So, there is still hope for those expired postcards (even though there will always be those who end their days somewhere in the mail system, or it has arrived but the receiver has stopped postcrossing and does not do their “duty” to register received postcards anymore. Annoying, yes, but there is nothing the sender of the postcard can do except wondering where the postcard is/what happend).

3 Likes

I just need a place to cry a bit. I sent my cards for a RR a month ago. Two to the USA and one to Canada. Only one to USA has arrived so far and I haven’t received anything yet although the cards to me have been travelling for a month too. One from the USA two months even. I also haven’t received a letter from my US penpal. She resent it, hopefully it will arrive… I don’t know what the issue could be. Has the Atlantic Ocen grown or something?

3 Likes

Months ago a member in Poland sent me a postcard of forum games. She took a photo of it before sending. TBH I have almost forgotten it, but last week I accidentally recalled the photo showing that it was quite a lovely card. I hope it is just stuck somewhere now and it could arrive at last.

1 Like

You know, icecaps are indeed melting, so perhaps larger oceans is adding to the increased travel times!

3 Likes

Sidenote - one of the biggest bummers is when you draw a profile and have the precisely perfect card, stamp(s) and words for the person, only to see the count for days traveled increase with the anxiety of twice what should be felt by anyone on Earth, ever. Sorry martians…

Yes I’m being hyperbolic. And yes, swapping with you lovely folks does seem to help squelch such anxiety!

4 Likes

I also have an expired card I sent to Russia. It was entirely pleasant and neutral, but I wasnt surprised it was not received. Cards are now dead expensive to post from UK. I would prefer if someone mailed me a postcard now rather than I had the dubious privilege of being able to post an extra one. I have already cut down ones I send because of the increased costs.

3 Likes

I’m pretty new to Postcrossing, and I just had my first expired card. I’m sad. It is to Ukraine so I am hoping it will still arrive there.:blue_heart::yellow_heart:

2 Likes

This is my recent horror story of expired postcards. I currently have 18 expired cards, but look at what’s been/ will continue to happen this week, next week:

Fortunately, every postcrosser in the UK has a similar problem. Since the Royal Mail cyber incident in early January, UK-Russia mail has stopped (though not officially. RM insists that there is just a slight delay.).

4 Likes