People who haven't logged in for a long time

Today my last traveling card from 2020 was deleted by the system.
I have 2 lost cards from 2020. One to ghostcrosser, one to someone who rarely logs in.
In 2019 I also lose 2 cards to ghostcrossers.

What about 2021?
I have 4 expired cards to ghostcrossers. I believe they will not comeback. Let’s say goodbye to these cards.
I have 1 expired card to someone who rarely logs in with weird registration pattern. Well, there is still hope :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately when people cannot talk face to face the meaning of what someone writes here can be misinterpreted and then the person who wrote the original message is ganged up on or told they basically have no right to their opinion.
I have to admit it is sad to see some people try to “pychoanalyze” others on here. You might not agree with everyone, but it would be nice to see some charity and openess towards others.
And please no rude comments. ( sad I have to write that)

5 Likes

Speaking of expired postcards, I have a question about the stats on Postcrossing’s homepage: At the moment there are “441,344 postcards traveling”. Do these include expired postcards, that is, those having traveled for more than 60 days to expire but less than a year to remain in the system? In either case, curious about the breakdown though.

1 Like

The number on the frontpage is only the non-expired postcards, so sent less than 60 days ago and not yet registered.

8 Likes

@meiadeleite
The same thing as @varn asked, could be asked with the ‘member statistics’. Right now we are at a bit more than 800,000.
Is the statistic also counting in people, who had been seen e.g. 5 years ago. (because there are possibilities that these people could come back one day.)?
That woule be interesting to know. :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance

We count all Postcrossing accounts, even if the members have not logged in for a long time. Usage of the site varies a lot, and it’s common for people to go away for a few years and return to active later (you can see examples here), when life allows or they have more time to dedicate to this hobby.

However, bringing it back to the topic here, Postcrossing does not give out addresses of members who have not logged into the site recently. :slight_smile:

These are my expired postcards, 3 of them to :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :grimacing:

This year I have sent around 50 official postcards.
Let’s see if they come back to life!
:crazy_face:

Good morning.
Yesterday a postcard of mine arrived, so I asker for a new one to send, but I received the address of a postcrosser who isn’t very active. She joined in 2011, sent and received few postcards from 2011 to 2012, then almost ten years of gap, and in February she sent another one. Last postcard she registered was almost eleven months after it was sent. Not sure if she registered it very lately or it took a lot of time to be delivered… last time she was on the site was about a month ago… I sent the postcard this morning, but I’m quite sure it will expire and never been registered. :frowning:
Do you have any experience like mine? Do you think there should be any kind of filter for potentially inactive postcrossers?

Thank you.

Bye!

2 Likes

I received an address from someone who took a 4 year hiatus, they registered it no problem. If they have recently sent a postcard they know they are going to receive one. I wouldn’t be too concerned until it’s been 3 weeks since sent depending on where it’s going.

3 Likes

I know if I haven’t logged into the site for awhile, l’ll receive an email from Postcrossing saying they’ll set my account to inactive automatically if I don’t log in soon. I have been Postcrossing for over 10 years but am sometimes more active than others. I always register the cards I receive though.

5 Likes

I sometimes have long periods of inactivity due to work or personal commitments. However, I always register a postcard even if it arrives after I become inactive. I had one postcard that arrived apparently many months after I became inactive and after it was sent, and I logged in and registered it immediately, though it had expired for the sender.

7 Likes

There are filters already. If people have been away too long, their account is set to inactive, and their address isn’t given out. And remiders are sent to them.

It’s totally OK to be absent, and it’s fine to send postcards sporadically. Doing so doesn’t mean that they won’t register the postcards they receive.

15 Likes

Well, as a new Postcrossing member, and so with few slots, I must remark that ist is frustrating to have
3 cards traveling to people, who have not been active for as long or even longer as that my card is traveling.
So I will shortly have at least 2 cards expired, but I am only here since 28.12.2021.
I like writing and sending cards, am always happy to draw a new adress, so it is a bit frustrating. Sorry to say so.

I don’t know how to edit, so I will continue here: I drew addresses, sent postcards, and three of them are traveling for 81, 45, 39 days now. Not to countries who have problems with delivery, but countries, to where other postcards of mine arrived within 15 to 21 days. But the members didn’t log in for a long time.
Of course there’s always a chance for a good reason for it. And I understand. But still I feel frustrated

1 Like

Hi
I fully understand …
I have 26 expired cards at the moment, and another 40 travelling … So many of the expired cards are to people, who haven’t logged in for months … This is even more frsutrating with my cards from South Georgia … 5 of these cards go to people who are rather new to PC and haven’t logged in for weeks :frowning:
I wonder if there has ever been a discussion abut a postcrossing account after 6 months of inactivity …
What are your thoughts about that, community?

1 Like

It’s discussed in this topic. Accounts are automatically made inactive after a month absence and their addresses are not given out.

3 Likes

In 1 Oct 2020 I received an address and sent the card to her. On 17 Aug 2021, I noticed that her account had been inactive for 8months. So I msged admin asking why the account not being closed after being inactive for 8 months as she might have received my card but didnt register it, being inactive. However the admin said nothing’s wrong with the account so no reason to close the account :woman_shrugging: Luckily it got automatically registered on 16 Sept 2021 as the account being closed (finally), just 2 weeks before it’s deleted from the system *phew

Hi, I’m new to Postcrossing :slight_smile:
I have a card traveling to a member who didn’t logged in for about 3 weeks (I got the adress of the member on her first day of not logged in :sweat_smile:)
Should I wait for a little bit longer? Or should I try to send her a message?

I have a postcard that has been travelling since late January and the user hasn’t been logging in since April… I think she may have received it but not registered it for some reason… :confused:

Three weeks is an extremely short time. For some countries, that’s the bare minimum. Even for fast ones, sometimes things take longer. Or maybe the person is taking some time to register, which is not great but still not a huge amount of time. Not logging in for 3 weeks is not so weird if the person has nothing to register, and if life is busy.

You don’t have to message people about this, at all. You can if you want but I personally think it’s a waste of time. And if you decide to do it, I would wait 2-3 months minimum. I’m sure there’s a lot on this topic in the rest of this thread and others :wink:

5 Likes