Experiences as a newbie

For you to use in some years: And this, my kids, was the foundation of our huge postcard empire. :relaxed: :laughing: :star_struck:

2 Likes

@Inez001
That was rather uncharitable of her, but this is a large community so I imagine there will always be people like that. From my. admittedly, short stay here I’d say that vast majority of people seem very nice and friendly. Just look at this thread! I expected perhaps a handful of replies. :slight_smile:
And thanks for your offer to answer any questions I have, I appreciate it.

@Stevyy
Indeed. Take this as a lesson in unrestrained capitalism. I trick someone else to fund my hobby and then turn it into a lucrative empire.

Actually, my boss and I have talked about the viewcard situation over the years, and when I told him about my idea today, he honestly thought it was a nice idea. I’m not a great photographer by any means, but hopefully decent enough for this.
I also suspect he is fairly amused by my sudden interest in postcrossing and happy to indulge me. There’s just the two of us, so we’re more good friends than boss and underling.

3 Likes

A good, preferably local, copyshop might produce decent cards for ~0,1 Eurocents - so it’s not that much of a risk. And you would have the connections already for the perfect placement. So only customers/tourists are missing - but as we all know: Covid-cussword will be defeated in the end.

But we digress, so back to original topic: have fun exploring the wonderful world of postcrossing, all you wonderful newbies.

1 Like

No cheap copyshop around here, so we’ll go on-line. Still while it won’t be very expensive, I doubt we’ll get our money back anytime soon. We just think there should be postcards for sale in town.

Yay! Received my first card today. One more should be on its way.

12 Likes

Actually, I am surprised that a Swedish adress took six days to be drawn …

Congratulations - now the fun will be another notch better

1 Like

Hello from Napa, California. I used local tourist style postcards to begin but now I am finding some really interesting ones on line. When I pick out cards that touch me in some way, I feel as though others will see a reflection of who I am. I love art cards, comics, funny cards and old postcards found in second hand stores. All cards I receive as good, I love opening my mailbox and finding a postcard from some place in the world. Enjoy!

3 Likes

When you pull a new address, will the country of your last received card be excluded? e.g, I sent a card to Germany, when the recipient next draws a card would a Swedish address not be possible? Hmm. That would prevent us getting into a ‘loop’ of constantly pulling each other’s address I suppose.

Already enjoying this :smiley:
But I’m prepared for a long wait now, China, Russia, US, Taiwan are among the five I last sent.

I’ve also begun shopping online for cards now.

Hello Vicky! I see that you have received your first card. How was it?
I am waiting for mine.

I had a hard time finding good cards but I found that our local Fred Meyer grocery store had postcards. Maybe a store near you does? They were randomly placed near the shampoo. I don’t know though! Just a thought In case

I enjoyed sending my first ever card to a lady in Germany, a top ten Postcrosser in Germany with a friendly profile, a week ago.

I didn’t draw all five profiles at once. I did it one by one. Thinking about each person, looking them up on a map, reading about the place gave me an idea what card and stamps I wanted to use and what message I wanted to write. Only when the card was completed I would draw another profile.

The last profile was of a lady that had only sent two cards and received one in three months, a new member. I could see the cards in her gallery, all I knew was her name and address, there was no other information in her profile. However by that time (having written four cards already) I was not intimidated by the fact. I wrote about her town and mentioned a few similarities it had with my town, I wrote a little about me and encouraged her to do the same. I enjoyed it, too. I even thought to myself that it was probably more pleasant than if I had drawn one of the profiles that I had seen, which were written with a very demanding and restricting tone, like “please, don’t send me any other animals than the ones I mentioned!”, followed by another twenty don’ts.

I am trying to learn how Postcrossing works quickly. It turns out I have spent eight hours reading posts in the Forum this week. Thank you all for being so helpful here!

10 Likes

No, there is no exclusion of countries - you can easily receive a card from there after sending there.

Given the dynamic of non-repeated- and non-home-country-sending, there is still a slightly higher demand for ‘exotic’ adresses like yours in SE. That’s why I was surprised it took some time to be drawn.

1 Like

Ahh, but the 1st card received by @Jarulf doesn’t have to be the 1st time his address has been drawn.

This “actual” first card might still be on the way from China, Russia, USA, some other far away country or even Europe, a country where the post is a bit slower. Some European cards to me have been taking over a month recently.

2 Likes

True - still there is six days difference between the known second arrival and the so-far-known adress given out.

Unless this was one of those (in)famous one-arrivals-triggers-three-cards-to-be-sent-events.

All in all - don’t take me too serious. Surfing the forum is my way to avoid the dishes and the news. And to forget the waiting time for another hurray of course :hugs:

1 Like

I should get started on cooking dinner. And there is still some cleaning left to be done :laughing:

2 Likes

So far, 8 postcards have reached the destination, and I have received 8 postcards! One of my cards arrived the 25th of November. You should think that a couple of days later, my address would be drawn. But it was 32 days later :rofl:
Could there also be a connection with visiting profiles and later getting cards from those persons? It happened to me 5 times already. Visiting profiles and weeks later that person send me a card :thinking:

The cards to you weren’t sent in the order in which you received them. By looking at your profile it is obvious that there was a card sent to you on November 25. NL-4806185.

But that one could also have been send because of a card that I have send before, and that my address was drawn later, right?

It could also be the “answer” to your card which was registered November 24.

1 Like