Experiences as a newbie

Welcome to Postcrossing! I hope you love this experience. Don’t feel intimidated by profiles with strict wishlists; most of them will be happy to get whatever you send, and you’ll get a happy, thankful message from them in the “Hurray” email.

This site is like anything else in this world: a few difficult people, and a majority of kind, easygoing people :slight_smile: a few times I’ve sent cards that perfectly matched the person’s profile, and didn’t even get a thank you (one of them even deleted it!). However, about 95% of the time, the recipient has been happy to get my card, and send a lovely thank you note, even when I’ve sent something that didn’t match their wishes.

13 Likes

So many replies and likes, I did not expect that. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Thank you everyone for the friendly welcomes and good advice.

I can definitely sense a common thread here, ‘just have fun with it, don’t stress out over the themes’.

I’ve taken your words to heart, and picked a card for the final recipient (remember I had one I was having trouble with), it wasn’t anything she had listed an interest in, not even close, but I liked the card. It’s ready to be sent tomorrow.

So from now on I will simply Keep Calm, and Carry a Postcard (to the letterbox)

15 Likes

You know what: many people will be excited to receive any card from SWEDEN… while they may just yawn at yet another card from Germany, no matter what picture is on :wink:

8 Likes

Ha, well I’ll try to make as many people happy as my wallet allows then. :smiley:

4 Likes

I love getting cards from Germany :blush: some of my favourite cards have come from there!

9 Likes

Welcome, Bo and other new Postcrossers! :partying_face: Thank you for joining us and adding more joy and wonder to the family! :sparkling_heart:

Obviously, you are already on the right track: enjoy writing to and hearing from lots of people around the world, don’t stress about exceeding expectations, and do it all at your own pace! I know that you are going to have a wonderful time already. :relaxed:

I second what @whitefroststreetboi said:

For just about every postcard, there is a person who will enjoy it–even if it’s ridiculous, ugly, bizarre, deadly boring, or fits an extremely specific niche. You never know when the right recipient will come along!

Absolutely true. I have yet to find fabulous postcards showing my current city specifically, but I can always write a fun fact or two about it, in the very unlikely case that someone is anxious to know more about eastern Washington. In your case, however, I found this treasure of Copenhagen’s cultural heritage for you! (…I’m so sorry. :joy: But it is a fun watch.)

Not true! Sure, there are tons of German Postcrossers, but every card is just as unique as its sender! :heart:

9 Likes

Am new too and only slowly learning all the different rules and requirements. My postcard collection is tiny so I will need to expand it and hope I get it right.

Am looking forward to receiving my first ever card…

14 Likes

If you send a postcard with correct postage, an address, a nice message, and the Postcrossing ID, you’re already “doing it right”! :wink:

4 Likes

yes absolutely. postcrossing is suppose to be a fun hobby, definitely not something you should stress about. and like @truenorth_49 said, even if you don’t have the perfect postcard for someone, most people will still appreciate the card and the message. some people don’t, but honestly that is more their problem.

and also. if you enjoy postcrossing and still love sending out cards in a few years, you will probably have a lot of cards to send, like most of us. suddenly everywhere you see postcards :grin:

5 Likes

I just saw people on Facebook complaining in the comments to the recent PC statistics for 2020 that there is way to much Germany (both on the “sent to” and “received from” side). That’s a bit sad as I am also new and got the feeling I just add to the bulk. That’s why I wrote my above comment. But I know that this is not the general opinion.

5 Likes

I have received over 5000 postcards and about 25% comes from Germany. Still loving each and every one of them :blush:

14 Likes

Hey welcome!
I find getting a new address exciting too! It’s just the thought of the search to find a postcard they’d like. I love it!!

2 Likes

Hello Jarulf and other new folks. Welcome to our little neck of Postcard Paradise. :stuck_out_tongue: I just launched a new January offer of **Free ** postcards in the Forum. I had this running for 10 years in the old Forum. Neat way to get some nice cards (again FREE) each and every month. Here is the link:
https://community.postcrossing.com/t/re-opened-january-2021-gratis-postcards-unwritten-postcards-for-you/42443

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Personally I’m relieved when I draw a German address, because I know that (1) it will arrive, and (2) it will take less than 3 weeks to arrive. Your postal mail system is outstanding.

24 Likes

@Jarulf @kampfetka @SiLV @MaWe @EdinburghLady

I recently picked up WASHI tape which is NEW to me! Thanks to Postcrossing I found out its use. For
decorating the written side of the postcards! Who knew? You’ll see what I mean when you receive a postcard where someone has done this. I’m so excited to try it too!!

8 Likes

Another newbie here and I felt the exact same. I admit with lockdown here I’ve spent some time looking and shopping online for new cards. But that part has been fun too! I’m a collector at heart (of stamps and now postcards) so there will be something of value in every card, the message, the card, the stamps or maybe all three! :slight_smile: It’s amazing what this hobby has done to encourage mail usage and all these small businesses across the globe selling cards, it’s truly wonderful. I put some sparkly stickers on a few cards I sent out recently and now I realize I need more stickers too! I loved stickers as a child so this is rejuvenating that interest as well, truly amazing.

14 Likes

I like it, too… from the very north of Germany to the very south where my sister lives in a small town at Lake Konstanz a letter takes ONE day, a parcel may take two (pre-Christmas 3 or 4) days, and in general, German post is very reliable I would say.

5 Likes

:heart:Welcome to the world of post crossing… I’m relatively new also but I’ve learned along the way a little effort goes a long way but I also know most people are genuinely happy just to be send a post card. I do my best to match who likes what but sometimes I struggle and I have over 400 to choose from​:joy: but sometimes I do over think as well. I think the majority of people are delighted just to get the card I know I am and I always love a surprise. Its the thought that counts. Happy post crossing :heart::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hello to the newbies! I’m a semi newbie compared to others as I started in January of 2019. I live in a tiny town with only one place that sold a few cards; so almost anytime I’ve driven anywhere new I look to see if they have a store that might sell cards. In the US I’ve found them at Hallmark stores, state tourist “rest stops”, gas stations (big ones where truckers go), antique stores, or any tourist type place-I just go to their gift shop. I’ve ordered online too.

I will say, patience is key. I personally felt PC was very slow to start. I’m at 17 cards traveling now, and I still think it’s a slow year, but here in the US it’s probably due to the Post Office/Covid/elections and worldwide due to Covid. I was anxious to send out more cards as I’m on the happier to send then receive side.

And I completely agree with those that stated…what doesn’t appeal to you might appeal to someone else. One of the cards I picked once to send was due to the person stating on their profile to choose a card you wanted to get rid of. It ended up being one of my more popular ones! So you just never know. :slightly_smiling_face:

This will hopefully be a lot of fun for you. From choosing a card to picking out stamps. Knowing you will make someone else happy is a good thing! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Don’t stress too much…the ideas given are just options but if you can’t match it then it’s not the end of the world. :grinning:

3 Likes