Expensive postcards in your country?

I just found some BEAUTIFUL C.S. Lewis Narnia cards and whew the price got me ($$$)

I think it’s more sentimental to me and I’m not sure I would be able to part with them unless I knew someone would really love them.

3 Likes

In Malaysia the cost of postcards looks like this

Touristy postcards: RM 1-1.50 (31-46 JPY),

Illustrated postcards (Hornbill, Lokamade, sembangsembang): RM 2-3 (62-92 JPY)

Shaped postcards (Hornbill, Lokamade): RM 4 (124 JPY)

Usually I won’t spend over RM 2 on a postcard I will and buy in larger quantities together with friends online if possible (because there is usually a discount for bulk purchases :smile:)

The most expensive postcard I’d seen is this map card, which costs RM 8 each, which in some places costs more than breakfast!

5 Likes

Most generic cards cost between S$0.60 - S$1.50 (¥60-¥150)

The most expensive cards are from this series which are letterpress. S$4.80 (¥480)

4 Likes

I once saw some postcards in Beijing which is sold at 15CNY each

1 Like

this is beautiful!!!

1 Like

Hi everyone!
I just saw a very very expensive postcard and couldn’t help sharing with other postcrossers :open_mouth:

5 postcards JPY 14,800 (=about $99.24 or Euro 100.88)

When I first saw the image of the card, I thought wow they look very beautiful.
But the price :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:
Honestly, who can buy??? it’s from an art exhibition to be held in a department store.

2 Likes

Yesterday, I was at a local big bookstore where I usually buy touristic view postcards. One view card did cost 100 yen before, but now it costs 150 yen plus sales tax per card !! I was quite shocked when I had to pay for 29 view cards that I chose - I did not realise they raised its cost :frowning:

So, now one touristic card at a bookstore here can cost as much as the one made by a specific artist. Sigh… :frowning:

2 Likes

在中国,一张明信片最便宜只需要0.1人民币,最贵的只要20元人民币左右,很多盒装明信片一盒30张只需要不到10人民币。邮费非常便宜,寄明信片去全世界任意国家航空仅需4.5人民币。

:greece: In Athens International Airport, Greece, at WHSmith bookshop, you can find a limited selection of vanilla postcards at €2.50 each!

However, before security control, you may visit the shop ANAMNESIA, they sell a few artistic postcards of there own edition at €1.00 each. They are also available at their on-line shop: https://anamnesiagifts.com/

Sample ANAMNESIA postcard

1 Like

The most expensive cards are often single cards, so not a set. If they are very pretty, they can be € 2,50.

A regular tourist card is somewhere between € 1,00-1,50. In general that are pretty tourist cards, often a bit bigger dan 15x10cm. I have noticed that 15x10 postcards are most of the time less than € 1,00. Often around € 0,50. In Amsterdam you often pay less, but most areas in the Netherlands are not that touristic, so postcards are not easy to find.

I have a bunch of 3D cards, but those were not expensive as they were only € 0,50. But their greeting cards are just as expensive and I love those!

1 Like

True. I realized the same and shocked as well in late November :upside_down_face:.

1 Like

This is the international part of the forum - please use English as language :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Meg2020 san

So, now touristy cards cost as much as the ones made by specific artists in the big cities in Japan, I will choose to buy more of the artistic non-touristy ones from now on and will try to support the artists, although I used to think they are rather pricey…

2 Likes

En Chine, la carte postale la moins chère ne coûte que 0,1 RMB, la plus chère est d’environ 20 RMB, de nombreuses cartes postales en boîte ne coûtent que moins de 10 RMB. Les frais de port sont très bon marché, l’envoi d’une carte postale à n’importe quel pays du monde par avion ne coûte que 4,5 RMB.
Désolé, je ne peux pas bien utiliser l’anglais.

The most expensive postcard I acquired recently was a postcard featuring a Chinese watercolour bought at the gift shop of a local visitors’ attraction here in Vancouver, Canada. A beautiful design, but vastly overpriced at $4.00 CDN. (Tourist postcards can be $1.00 CDN; I recall seeing a special for three postcards at $1.25CDN.). The only positive rationale was the proceeds are helping this non-profit visitors’ attraction.

Do users find it difficult to rationalize sending out expensive postcards?

1 Like

I just sent a 3D card. It cost around $3.50 which is expensive for me, but I’ve had it for over a year just waiting to send. It perfectly fits their wish list and should make them happy!

1 Like

I visit my mother up north each summer. In the town where she lives there’s a shop that sells non-view, original artist cards. They’re absolutely beautiful, but USD $3 each is really steep! I’d consider getting a couple for just the right person, but we’ll see if I can go through with that this year …

2 Likes

At my work currently there are cool lenticular postcards for an anniversary event with a character I know many people would love but they are $4.95 and I just can’t, even with my discount it is still too much! I will wait and see if they go on sale when the event ends.

3 Likes

Vintage cards are the best. I have US ones from the 1900=1930s that I bought at a vintage shop and on ebay. This is interesting that you also send them.

1 Like

Two days ago I had to think of this thread. Until then the most expensive postcards I encountered were 3D ones, 3,50 Euro each (USD 3,70). But two days ago I saw really nice relief map postcards in a bookstore. Those looked really cool, like a mini version of a map that is used in geography class for education (e.g. of Europe or the World), and all parts that show mountains are elevated. They were 4 Euro each (USD 4,30) :dizzy_face: Unfortunately that’s a bit too much for my budget for sending through Postcrossing.

I did not even buy one for myself, like I did with the 3D postcards :sweat_smile:

1 Like