Expensive postcards in your country?

The most expensive postcard I have found here in Canberra, Australia so far cost me $5 AUD (for a very thick, recycled cardboard). And when I send it to Europe, it’ll cost another $3.50 AUD in postage. So a total of 720 yen :grimacing:. I won’t be sending that kind very often…

The same designer also sells wooden postcards for $19 AUD :grimacing:…I won’t be sending any of those…

2 Likes

I found a chocolate postcard for $20.
Looked delicious, but way too expensive for me to send. Just think if it was delivered to the desert in the summertime. One big melted mess. :frowning:.

6 Likes

Wow…I didn’t know that postcards are expensive there in Finland. One of it is equal to a Gotochi postcard here in Japan.
And it cost us 3-4x more expensive to send a Gotochi to any country in the world.
For example, the last time I sent a Gotochi was to Germany, and it cost me 260 yen. A standard postcard will only cost 70 yen worldwide.

Thank you @S_Tuulia for this information. I will keep it in mind. I will offer 2 postcards or put more nice stamps (if the recipient loves stamp) the next time I swap with someone from Finland. :blush:

2 Likes

Most postcards are only 20.00 - 30.00 LKR here in Sri Lanka, but this series is 350.00 LKR each. For the comparison with popular international series cards, FOTW card is only 141.98 LKR.
(After the high inflation, normal postcards are 50.00 now, and FOTW card is about 224/-)

6 Likes

Lenticular cards start at 3.99 and up.

Etsy artists that start at 3 dollars and up.

1 Like

Oh My God, cards around the world are so costly compared to India or maybe our cards are very cheap. But probably costs are in line with our economic prosperity. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: .

I bought a very nice card set, in which every card cost Rs 4 (0.05 Euro). Cards issued by postal zones of India Post are generally in this price range. Sadly, they don’t publish anything on the website so you need someone to tell you about the release and then get them to deliver somehow from the said postal office.

But, cards bought in online shops or trades usually cost around Rs 8 to Rs 15 ( around 0.15 Euro) and they provide free or minimal shipping :grin: :grin:. The most costly cards that I bought are Maxicards, which are around Rs25 (around 0.30 Euro). The same cost for shaped cards, but there are only 2-3 designs in one online shop and I am yet to see any 3D cards.

All sorts of cards are allowed to be sent and postage is the same. God Bless India Post, even if they are slow and not very modern :laughing: :laughing:

8 Likes

You’ll never beat Moldova! While a usual postcard costs about 3 MDL ($0.16), Moldova Post sells sets of 10 postcards printed in 1992 for 0.6 MDL ($0.031) the entire set. All 10 postcards have a pre-printed 0.25 stamp on them, so basically the cost of each postcard comes to -0.0098$, meaning that when you buy the set you actually get the set for free plus a net value of 10 US cents. :person_shrugging: Ain’t that a bargain!

14 Likes

In China, most card between ¥1 to ¥5 (20 yen to 100 yen). Some 3D card need ¥10 ( 200 yen ) or more .

1 Like

Edit: for reference - 1 euro = 12 hk$ ; 1 usd = 7.8 hkd

In Hong Kong, I think $20 is a common price for cards by independent artists at smal boutique shops, and $15-25 for the illustration cards on Pinkoi (asian equivalent of Etsy) (from hk, tw and jp artists)

Usually cards you find in 誠品書店 (a popular bookstore chain) and Hallmark can range from $30-40 or even $45… but they are really nice!! But I only buy them for birthdays or special occasions

and if you can find these boxes of touristy cards from bookshops in dimly lit malls they might be cheaper. Or small bookshops cards might be $10 each

I think $10 is the limit… it’s hard to find anything here in hk below $10.

As for buying touristy cards in actual tourist attractions…. Idk about that actually. Maybe other hk postcrosser can shred some light on this?

3 Likes

Now us$1 = €0.98.

The cards I’ve seen are commonly from ¥0.5 ($0.07) to ¥10 ($1.5). The cheapest cards are at Taobao, which usually have low quality and no copyright. They may be produced for students to write to each other. The highest price I’ve seen was ¥25 ($3.7), a wooden card.

P.S.I’d love to get some cards from 誠品書店, but the only branch in China is in Suzhou. Quite far from my city.

1 Like

I found some very excellent lenticular cards at the souvenir shop at a breath taking AU$4.50 each. I bought three. To compare, the normal postcards were 10 for AU$6

2 Likes

This is a fascinating topic! :face_with_peeking_eye:

Pricing is all over the place in my part of Canada. I live in a city very popular with tourists, so typical tourist-style cards are abundant and relatively cheap: 50 cents each is quite typical, even 3 for a dollar sometimes.

BUT… they are mostly shots of various buildings, or our harbour (admittedly very pretty), or other standard scenes in my city … or photos of western Canadian wildlife (but only the same ones, over and over: black bear, moose, beaver, etc. — never a Vancouver Island marmot or the Kermode “spirit bear”, two very rare and beautiful animals that live only here in British Columbia!).

These standard tourist cards are not cards that most people request, for the most part :frowning:

For more interesting, truly unique local cards, I must search for “boutique” postcards that are often $2-3 each, or only available in sets… and again, these are invariably cards that are on no one’s wish list.

So for the most part I either go online to places like Etsy or Zazzle.ca to buy themed cards like “cats” and such, or I look for postcards at local thrift shops. And there, for some reason, I do extremely well. One charity shop in particular sells them at 15 cents each, often really curious and wonderful cards from who knows where! Most recently these included, for some reason, a dozen or so bald eagle photo postcards, each different from the others.

Lastly, I used to buy Canada Post’s prepaid scenic Canada postcards regularly, but most of their best ones are now discontinued :cry: and since they closed the main post office downtown, I can only order them online from Ontario. I am especially sorry that the SGang Gwaay cards are no longer produced, as that card depicted a beautiful and poignant UNESCO WHS right here in my province.

In short: I must hunt around for what I want, or go online and order from “bulk” sellers, which is not much fun.

3 Likes

I find many postcards printed here in Japan are made of very thin card stock and generally cost around ¥165. However, international postage is only ¥70 so it evens out overall.

I recently went back to the U.K. for 6 weeks where I stocked up on cheaper, better quality cards of the Royal Family, London, 3D, etc. But, I didn’t send any from the U.K. at £1.85 for an international stamp.

2 Likes

We have various types: I found at post offices cards which were complimentary to stamps for 4 hrn (around 0.11$), new ones with Mria, the ship and the tractor cost 10 hrn (around 0.27$). Ukrposhta doesn’t produce postcards, most of them are for maxicards, but simple ones are greeting cards. We usually by in the internet (though some can be found in shops): cost varies from 9 hrn (0.25$) to 31 hrn (0.85$), which doesn’t say much about their quality, because I bought thick good quality cards for 9-11 hrn, but thiner ones for a higher price. One needs to add carrier costs here as they are mostly avaliable online (depends, but around 1.5$).

As for stereocards: I haven’t seen much, but what I saw was 80 hrn (2.2 $).

Cost for sending postcards abroad: 1$, in envelopes: 1.5$.

Might look cheaper than some countries, but we can buy almost 3 kg of potatoes for 1$.

4 Likes

The most expensive cards I saw here are handmade cards that are gilded and calligraphy in the traditional way.

Their price is about five to six dollars. I don’t think anyone would risk sending these cards without an envelope.:smiley:

22 Likes

What a great thread. If I had take into account my personal cost to purchase watercolours, all that I require brushes , special markers, printing cost let’s say they are priceless. You really don’t want to know :wink:

2 Likes

Five to six dollars for such an artwork is really cheap! I took two courses in islamic design and I know from my own experience that it takes ages to draw and colour one of these designs! These cards are absolutely beautiful :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Here in the UK, you can buy tourist city view postcards for around 20p to 50p usually (33 to 82 yen) but £1 or more (163 yen) is what I would consider expensive here. In London, you can often find say 6 cards for £1 in souvenir shops!

For a more ‘greetings’ type postcard with a cute or funny message or picture, I’d say £1 is about average (163 yen).

With Royal Mail, a postcard costs £1.85 (302 yen) anywhere in the world

2 Likes

In Brazil, a tourist postcard usually costs around R$ 1.00 and R$ 2.50 (US$ 0.20-US$ 0.50/ 27 JPY-67 JPY), but these “Postal RJ” cards cost R$ 5.00 - R$ 6.00 (US$ 1-US$ 1.25/ 135 JPY-162 JPY) and they’re not sold online, just in a few specific places in Rio de Janeiro. They cost almost the same as a Gotochi.

I usually don’t like to simply convert postcard prices, though. I think we need to take into account a country’s minimum wage and living expenses to get an exact idea of what that amount of money represents in that country. A US$ 1 postcard may sound unexpensive to someone who gets paid in Dollar, but at the moment the minimun wage in Brazil is R$ 1,200 (US$ 240/32,500 JPY). So, US$ 1 plus travel costs, if you don’t live in Rio de Janeiro, and the price of admission to the museum where you can find these postcards is definitely expensive to someone who lives in Brazil and gets paid in Real.

6 Likes