Etiquette for uploading to albums?

I am relatively new to Postcrossing, but I have been having so much fun sending and receiving cards, buying new cards to send, participating in RRs, and even some direct swaps. Now I have a folder of photos on my computer that I want to start uploading to the internet. (Either starting an Instagram, or using Google drive.)

My question is, what is the proper etiquette for uploading your outgoing cards? Obviously someone isn’t going to know you’re sending a card with an ID until they get it, but what about cards for direct swaps, forum games etc.? I would hate to ruin the surprise if the recipient were to view my albums, so should I wait to upload outgoing cards until they have been delivered? Or is sharing a card to your personal album okay to do anytime?

Thank you for your help and guidance.

I have read your comments a few times. I think I understand what you are trying to do. With Official
Postcrossing cards, I upload the cards from my hard drive. When the cards are registered, the photos of the card pop up.

Concerning swaps and other Forum activities, I always want to see what I am trading for. With that in mind, I use an online site for photos (Zonerama) which displays my cards in an attractive way and is easy to navigate for traders. On occasion, I will share a link to a specific album so other traders can select from it. An example: I sent a link to another member in the “3 Map cards in an Envelope” tag. The other member selected the map cards they wanted, rather than me selecting them. Of course, this is strictly optional. Hope I have given you some ideas…

1 Like

For direct swap, I think most people want to see the card first unless you are doing blind swap.

If you use flickr or zonerama, you can set the picture as private view, only you can see. When the card arrives you can set as public view.
I only use flickr and zonerama so I don’t know about other online albums.
My suggestion is to put the traveling cards under special folder. Maybe you can name it “Traveling Cards”. If people want to see they can see. If they want surprise they will not open the folder.

That’s a great idea! I will do that in the future. Thank you for all of your advice.

1 Like

Thank you for all of your help. I really like your idea of labeling an album as “traveling cards”. I think that could help me keep track of my traveling cards too.