Does your country has arrival postmarker?

I think @aegisW means a second cancellation mark made in the destination country. Is that correct? In this case, it would be the China Post cancellation at the bottom.

1 Like

Here in the Philippines, we sometimes get two markers. One when it arrived in the country, and the other when it arrived in your area’s central post office.

In Germany incoming mail doesn’t get stamped/marked.

1 Like

They don’t really mark them as with a stamped mark, but they do print a bar code on the mail, and sometimes also “PostNord” (name of the post office) next to it. The markings are really small and either light orange or light gray colour so it is not even easy to notice it.

I think it would be interesting to know whose neon orange barcode is printed on my card. Sometimes there is more than one.

@aegisW: I think you mean arrival postmarks with “landing postmarker”. :smiley: Foreign languages can be tricky, especially when it comes to specific names for things. You may want to change the thread title to make it more clear.

Germany, where I live, does no longer use arrival postmarks. In the far past (more than 100 years ago) they were used in Germany on all arriving mail, läter only on special mail (registered and express mail), and until about 15 years ago only on express mail. Now that special mail handling is fully digitalized, no arrival postmarks are used anymore, because for tracked mail (registered, priority, express, parcels) every step is scanned and available in the online tracking.

In most cases it will be the sorting code of Deutsche Post (or, to speak more generally, the sorting code of the recipient’s country). There are, hoewever, some countries that use outgoing sorting codes, e.g. the USA (black barcodes, sometimes on strips glued onto the front of the postcards). For mail from the Netherlands, you may find the sorting code of the private postal service MailWorX (or their affiliates) in addition to German Post’s sorting code, as Netherlands Post gives most mail to Germany to that (cheaper) company, and where they don’t offer service, they turn them over to German Post. I have some cards with that feature, I need to find and scan them…

5 Likes

@shugal, does Deutsche Post print more than one sorting code on one postcard? I recently received several postcards (from the US) with up to three sorting codes. The black US sorting code and one neon orange one on the back and another neon orange one of the front. The orange ones are definitely different.

Oh, and thank you for your enormous knowledge.

3 Likes

I change it.Thank u

1 Like

Normally, there is only one sorting code printed on the card by Deutsche Post, which is the neon-orange code on the writing side. The American postal service (USPS) is printing two codes on cards. The black one on the writing side is a unique ID tag and the neon-orange one on the back is another USPS sorting code. (If anything is wrong please correct me)

2 Likes

@aegisW Thank you! :+1:

@Oo_Hawkwind_oO: @duck2006 is correct. United States Postal Services (USPS) nowadays uses two sorting barcodes, a black one and a neon-orange one. I think they started with the black one alone, then on the back, and later added the neon-orange one and moved the black one to the front. I don’t know how they are used (never had a chance to talk to a knowlegeable person from USPS), but I have noticed that the black code seems to encode the postal code (called ZIP code in the USA), and for foreign countries that ZIP code is the international phone number for the country out of the NANP area (USA, Canada and a lot of Carribean countries), where unlike to most other countries the starting numbers for international calls are not 00 but 011, so the ZIP code for Germany is 01149. That’s what the numbers printed below the back barcode on postcards to me start with.

@Oo_Hawkwind_oO, the neon-orage barcode of Deutsche Post is actually two codes. I think nowadays the complete code is printed in the sending Briefzentrum (letter center), but initially the first half (right side, under the address) was printed in the sending Briefzentrum, encoding the postal code, and then the receiving part was printed in the receiving Briefzentrum, encoding the distribution center and which mailman’s bag the item belongs to. Sometimes you can see that the codes was printed in two parts because there can be a gap or a difference in position (one part higher than the other).

2 Likes

Thank you @duck2006 and @shugal.

Most, but not all, postcards I’ve received have a mark of one sort or another from Australia Post. This is the usual type of mark, in this case from Sydney West Letter Facility (SWLF):

Though today I received a postcard that had the automated postmark from SWLF upside-down across the bottom of the card, not just this processing mark. :roll_eyes:

Only if it is miss sent to Aruba! Aruba put a huge stamp with Miss sent to Aruba! On it :weary:

The Russian post office is still stamped with the arrival stamp.

My country doesn’t typically have it, but one time I received a postcard from South-Africa the stamp of which already had a cancellation from there, but apparently the machines here decided to gift it with another one. I’m not sure why though, it typically doesn’t do that, it was probably an accident.

Most postcards do get a barcode though, but those are more for delivery/sorting purposes than an arrival marker. The most annoying thing is when they put on a sticker for some reason or the other, even if the adddress is written correctly. Some stickers can be removed easily, but other leaves behind a sticky residue.

When I lived in Switzerland, I received my postcards as poste restante. These postcards got an arrival postmark at the pickup postoffice. But other than this I have never seen arrival postmarks.

Its rare, but in the U.S. normally no. But on occasion I have recieved a postmark from another place. Like a Spanish that was recieved in Miami and I got a Miami postmark.

A Baltimore postmark got a San Diego postmark on top of it.

Yesterday I got two postcards from Canada. One had beautiful stamps without cancellation, another was pre-paid, but had postmarks both from Ontario and Helsinki. Quite cool. Usually there is no arrival postmark. I have seen Finnish postmarks on international mail when envelope / package has been damaged in the mail (and placed in a plastic bag by Mail Services) or a letter has been missent inside Finland (kind of explaining the delay). This card was postmarked in Helsinki March 29th and delivered to me April the 1st.

The circle at the bottom is the landing marker.China Post makes it.

1 Like

Hey, @aegisW, I think you mean “postmark”, not “postmarker”! Yeah, English is weird like that, sometimes :wink:

I wanted to show you an arrival postmark from Kyrgyzstan. Many things here get done in the same way they get done in Russia, although there are some minor differences. For instance, postmarks, instead of being black, are actually blue! But even their design is similar to that of the Russian postal system.

The German stamp didn’t get postmarked (and such things are happening too often…). However there’s always a neat Kyrgyz postmark, showing the day (and the time) the card was delivered to the local post office. I live in the outskirts and, at the moment, the post office of our district is located at the police station (which is a super small wooden hut). The actual post office, which is next door, burnt down two months ago! The remnants of the building are still standing there.

2 Likes