Does any one know what a wooden postcard is?

Hi, does any one know what a wooden postcard is? And how much would it cost to send one?

This thread would be a good place to ask:

1 Like

They are literally postcards made of a piece of wood: some about as thin as a normal paper postcard, some a little thicker. (See photos).

In USA they should cost normal Non-Machineable Surcharge (butterfly stamp, 75-cents), but some post office clerks are confused by them and want to charge package rates. There was a lively discussion thread somewhere a while back; I’ll try to find it.

I’ve always had good luck affixing both a first class stamp and butterfly stamp on them, and dropping them in a mail box.

4 Likes

I recently mailed a few domestically and they all arrived slowly and without cancellations, which leads me to believe they are not compatible with the machines. I put $1 postage as overkill but I think the non-machinable rate would suffice (75 cents).

2 Likes

I have sent two wooden postcards so far, one in envelope and one without it. They are made of wood. And the wooden postcards are sold about 1$.
In Turkey, it is a bit more expensive to post them than common postcards but not a big deal. It costs about 8-10Turkish Liras to send, which means about 1$.

4 Likes

I have seen such postcards. They are made on thin veneer (1 layer of plywood). They reach the addressees by post, like a regular postcard.

1 Like

I bought these wooden postcards in Florida in March. They were very pricey, probably $4–$5 of each. I think I would just collect them :expressionless:

2 Likes

I was sent a wooden postcard in the mail. I hung it on the wall. It’s pretty thick but it does have a place for a stamp and address on the back. They mailed it to me in a mailer and it was wrapped up for protection

5 Likes

I sent a wooden postcard from Mt.Fuji to me in 2013 or so, they just treat it as a normal postcard and the cost from Japan to China was 140JPY,(I don’t know the standard price).
But they just accepted it, and normally sent.

4 Likes