Do you read the profile of those you are sending a postcard to? Did you read something interesting?

Send them whatever means something to you!

1 Like

I read every profile. I love the information I find out about the person Iā€™ll be sending a postcard to. I try to see if I have any postcards or stickers in their interests. Sometimes I find we have the same interests - I make sure to comment on similarities. I love when I receive postcards where the sender talks about things I have on my profile.

11 Likes

I always read the profile. If people think that Iā€™m not reading their profile because Iā€™m not following their requests, itā€™s because I donā€™t have the specific postcards/stamps they want, I ran out of envelopes, and/or Iā€™m traveling and I donā€™t have access to a scanner. And if my message isnā€™t as detailed as theyā€™d like, itā€™s either because I donā€™t really know much (or have an opinion) on the topic they like or theyā€™re requesting information Iā€™d rather not share with a stranger.

9 Likes

Gā€™day LĆ©opold!

Iā€™m sad to read you are having such difficulties in receiving your mail. That must not be fun for you at all.

I do read the profile for every addressee that I draw. I like to try and find them a card that I hope they will enjoy. On one or two occasions Iā€™ve had to send a random card as I simply couldnā€™t meet their expectations, but thatā€™s to be expected.

I also take photos (with my phone) of the front and back of every card that I send (which, being a relative newbie here, with limited sending capability, is not very time-consuming to do)ā€¦so if I ever draw your name, know that I will be able to supply you with a photo! Not that that is much help to you now. Iā€™m sorry.

I hope that maybe one day you will receive a big stack of mail, that has been hiding somewhere safe!! :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::blush:

8 Likes

I absolutely always read the profile.
I also am now in the practice of photographing the text side so I can reference to it once it has arrived. It has made me run out of storage so now in have a private (viewable only to me) album online to save space.
Iā€™m sorry so many cards yours are getting lost. Iā€™d be happy to try a swap with you if you would like.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty new to post Crossing, Iā€™ve sent eight post Crossing postcards plus a couple cards and postcards from the forum requests. I always read through the requests or the profile so I can pick out a card that I hope theyā€™ll like and also so I can think of something to write on the postcard.

The problem really gets to be when the person Iā€™m sending a card to and I seem to have a lot in common because then I tend to write an awful lot and I end up putting the postcard into an envelope with a letter. When I do that I wonder if the person Iā€™m sending it to gets excited about having a letter or shakes their head and says oh my god this woman sheā€™s crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face::kissing_closed_eyes:!

2 Likes

I always read the profile, to take inspiration of which card to send, which stamp to use and what to write on the card. For this reason I prefer long profiles over super short / blank ones. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I always read profiles very carefully :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I always read the profile, sometimes also twice. But I donā€™t necessarily do what they tell me to do. It depends on if I can do it or want do it (for example if it costs me much more I wonā€™t do it). If itā€™s clearly stated why I should take a picture of the text side I have no problem to do so. But it could be happen that I forget it nevertheless. Because I concentrate on what I write and after finishing I control a last time if I put the ID, address and stamp on. After about 10 years, these last steps are an automatic process and therefore it can happen that I forget the image of the text side. And if I take a picture, I would not necessarily be able to find it again whenever the recipient told me that they wanted that picture.
I wonā€™t create a new folder called ā€œtext side picture just in caseā€ or some like that - sorry.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had a couple of official transactions that included letters, along with a card. Honestly, not exactly what I wanted, however ā€¦ if theyā€™d written more about a mutual interest it wouldā€™ve been different.

I always read it. Part of the fun of PostCrossing is learning about people all over the world. I also try hard to pick something that theyā€™d enjoy - both in a card and in the postage.

8 Likes

I used to, but then I stopped when I realized they probably didnā€™t bother reading mine.

Yes, I always do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I feel the same as @Borborhick , I always read the profile because to me thatā€™s part of the fun of Post-crossing. Plus I want to make sure I give them something they want if I can.

6 Likes

but Iā€™m allergic to people who are picky and demanding.

Thatā€™s great! My allergy also includes - ā€œplease check my gallery to avoid duplicates and the gallery has thousands of images.ā€ Iā€™ll check a page or two but not all zillion.

That being said, I do read everyoneā€™s profile, I really enjoy looking through peopleā€™s favorites if itā€™s used a wishlist in hopes I have something they really want. Itā€™s a fun little scavenger hunt.

If a few people like the same topic or style, Iā€™ll buy cards to send them. As far as taking the pic of the card, I donā€™t have any issue with the request, but Iā€™ll probably forget to actually do it.

10 Likes

I am sorry that you are not receiving the intended cards. I think it is very kind when people read and send a card according to profile, and I always greately appreciate that. I always read and send a card based on profile. I do not have a big stock of cards but I try my best. I have met some people on forum games or official postcrossing who do not bother reading profile. It is frustrating for me.

When a profile has long paragraphs, it is more challenging to read. I will be more attentive to profile in point forms.

As I enjoying drawing on the back of postcards, I always take a photo before mailing the cards. I hope the intended cards will reach you soon. Probably they are just taking longer to reach.

2 Likes

I would love that! Itā€™s kind of you to take your time to connect with a stranger. And if someone thinks thatā€™s crazy, then hmm, maybe a little crazy is what we have in common?

3 Likes

I always read the profile before sending a postcard. And when I receive the Hurray! message, I try to comment on things that the sender has written. Just part of connecting, in my opinion.

Regards,

Larry

4 Likes

Totally agree with everything @TwasBrillig says, and she offers a wise solution as well.

I detect two issues at play in your question - one is whether people read the profile initially to look for opportunities to forge connection with the card - which it seems most people do - and the other is what happens in the final stage when the sender is on their way to the mailbox. Lots of steps in between! Sometimes Iā€™m so rushed to get my pile of cards to the mailbox before it closes that I forget to take photos (even of the front)ā€¦

Here is hoping you are able to start receiving your cards, and if not, some photos!

3 Likes

I am sorry you have such experience. What makes you think that? Isnā€™t it a pity to give up own joy because of a few people and join their dissappointing club, spreading what you donā€™t like?

8 Likes