Do you read the profile of those you are sending a postcard to? Did you read something interesting?

Maybe here some idea :smile: (it’s not me of course):

Sometimes if a profile has a video of their home place, I end up looking that, then the next one what YT suggests, and after a while I totally forgot that I was supposed to write a card, not plan a holiday :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I read the profiles beforehand because I try to send out postcards that are what people are interested in, or so that I can avoid sending them postcards of things that they don’t like.

Plus I like checking out the favorites on the wal and the cards they recived from other from my country.
to avoid the same card.

5 Likes

I think I will add a sentence on my profile to clarify that people can write a letter in addition to the postcard if they have too many questions to ask or things to share!
Many times they told me they had too many questions to ask me :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I always read the all bio, and check their favorites and received postcards.
They always the people who love city/country view lovers so sent them Türkiye view postcards mostly. I have a ton of illustrations postcards which are waiting… I’m so excited to meet illustrator lover profiles for the next :heart:

6 Likes

Yes, I always read the profile of the recipient. I always try to find something that matches their wishes or favorite subjects even distantly and accordingly want to avoid sending anything that might upset them. In addition, I always check what languages do they speak and if they match the ones I speak myself. Profile texts also offer inspiration for writing the message. Sometimes I notice we share the same hobbies, other times I see they live in a city I have visited before and every now and then someone might have such an adorable profile picture I can’t help but admire it in my message. Of course, in case they have some suggestions of what to write to them, I like to utilize them as well :slight_smile:

I also like to check out the profiles of the people who have sent postcards to me. After registering the postcard, I always go to their profile to learn more about who is the person behind the card. Occasionally I’ve realized I had come across to their profile before and had thought, that it would be so nice to send a postcard to this particular member :smile:

7 Likes

Yes I always read them and atleast look at the received cards from my own country to try and avoid duplicates. I’m more reluctant to spend considerable time on collections especially if the profile is all list and no information on the individual.

5 Likes

I read most of the profiles, but I must admit that if all I see is a list of “wishes” or expired postcards or something totally irrelevant, I don’t read it.

I’m also a bit disappointed when I see profiles where there’s only one or two sentences about who they are as a person, and more about what kind of cards they like or don’t like. I feel that it’s much easier to connect and find something to write about when I know who I am writing to.

5 Likes

As someone always struggling with what to write on a postcard, I have to read the profile in the hopes that it’ll spark some ideas. And of course, also to guide me in card selection. If the profile is only 1 or 2 sentences, I use the favorites to help me chose a card, but on the back, I’ll write little more than “Greetings from Philadelphia. May your mailbox always be full. Happy Postcrossing, Trinch”

4 Likes

I always read the profile before picking a card to send. That being said I would consider it a burden to be asked to take a photo of the text of the card I send.

I do take a photo of the card - never the text.

Just one person opinion - best wishes to you.

4 Likes

Of course! It’s one of my favorite parts of the process! I love getting to know the person I am going to send a card to. The profile information provided can easily spark an idea for decorating the back of the card or what I will put in the message to the recipient. Just recently I came across a profile that represented the true spirit of Postcrossing: seeking a genuine connection, sharing a bit of the member’s part of the world, welcoming any card… I could not stop smiling while working on my card for that person. I really hope she likes it when it arrives.

6 Likes

P.S. Yes, I always read the profile. And, yes, I never consider it mandatory to do everything that is asked there.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer! But by curiosity, don’t you sometimes feel the “need” to reread a postcard which you sent previously?

1 Like

Never - I don’t look back once the card has been sent. I do sometimes communicate with the received after they get my card and I sometimes send an additional card.

3 Likes

I always read them, and really try to be as close as possible, with stamps and cards!

5 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Taking Pictures / Scanning and Uploading of received and sent cards

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s your postcard-writing “ritual”?

I do not justify for what I send! I send neat postcards and that is what I owe.

Yes, I always read the profile. This helps me choose a card, and helps me get to know the recipient, depending on what they have written. I might forget one of their requests if I get distracted while searching for a card for them, writing it, and getting it ready to mail. Sometimes I get excited having what I think is the ‘perfect’ card for them, so I forget to only choose a certain size card(this is a challenge for me, I admit), or put it in an envelope, or not use the round US international stamp, or whatever special request they’ve made. I do my best :woman_shrugging:t2: but I always read the profile.

3 Likes

Yes i do read the profile, the whole profile, because i try to match my card and decorations as good as i can to the persons profile.
A profile without anything personal in it, is the hardest for me.

About reading something interesting. I have come across a few people, which i had a lot in common with. But not any extraordinary things.

2 Likes

Another factor is that Postcrossing has rules about taking pictures of the back of official post crossing postcards. I think this rule is designed to protect addresses and privacy, but for some people, they honor this rule in every case no matter what.

I always read profiles!

1 Like