Do you purchase postcards based on requests?

I collect postcards which I like and which are different, and not based on requests. I just hoard all the post cards and select and send based on the profile that I get. If I am not able to choose a proper postcard, then I will send something generic to them.

3 Likes

I donā€™t go to the store to buy a requested card, simple because I donā€™t know where to go. There are very few shops that sell postcards, when they do, they are touristic. So I simply buy what I like, when I have the chance. I know there are online stores, but that is often too expensive for just one or two cards.

I used to live in an area with very limited options, so there was a variaty of tourist cards and that was it.

1 Like

I pick up the card thatā€™s closest to the personā€™s wishes in my stash. I have tons of tourist cards, and some Harry Potter, and Disney. I donā€™t mind people having wishes on their profiles, but sometimes meeting them is not possible, and in those cases I choose some pretty, basic card.

I have seen many people having Inge Lƶƶk on their wish lists. I donā€™t like them myself, so I have never bought them in Finland.

2 Likes

I have zero interest in anything Disney or Harry Potter, so wouldnā€™t buy any of those wildly popular items; nor castles or UNESCO sites.

Closest I get to themes that arenā€™t necessarily my thing would be a package of wild animal cards out for delivery at the moment.

Early on, I ran across an extensive wish list, none of which I could match precisely, so I did the best I could with a card I felt was at least somewhat related. Received a nice Hurray message that he liked the card after all. Iā€™ve also had a couple where I felt I did an above-average job pleasing them, getting back a not-so-enthusuastic message.

4 Likes

I would say if itā€™s fun for the sender to start hunting for a matching postcard once they draw the profile, then of course they should go and do that! For me it just would be stressful. Nowadays I prefer drawing an address only when Iā€™m in the mood to write a card, and I put the card in the postbox the next morning at latest. I donā€™t deal well with having addresses lying around for days, because sending the card then starts to feel like an obligation to me and I want to avoid that :sweat_smile:

In the beginning it was a bit hard and indeed I went shopping for the profiles I drew (e.g. I drew addresses only when I knew I could go shopping later that day). In the meantime I built up a small stash, and just pick the closest to what I think the recipient might like based on his profile. I have my cards sorted by themes, but I do not care about series at all and would never order online just to fulfill requests for those. I sometimes buy cards of popular themes that donā€™t interest me personally (e.g. cats or dogs), but through trial and error I noticed itā€™s important to me that in that case itā€™s still a card that I personally think is nice (funny, beautiful, etc.) and fits my aesthetics.

Reading the forum helped me a lot in understanding that wishlists are just that: wishes, and that we have no obligation at all to fulfill those. Of course itā€™s nice and I prefer if I have something fitting, but if I donā€™t, then I donā€™t stress about it anymore like I used to in my beginnings :slight_smile:

1 Like