Do you purchase postcards based on requests?

Of course you should take good pictures, not accidentally blurres ones etc.

1 Like

I usually take cards from my small stach at home and that consists only of cards that I like. Luckily the addresses also like my cards.

Short answer: itā€™s complicated :rofl: :innocent: :rofl: After six years of shopping, local and (non-bigriver) online, I have two boxes full of cards, so usually I find a card that should fit. But if the profile is super-duper friendly and I know the place where there is a perfect card (Olympics, traditions, ā€¦), which I donā€™t have in stock that very moment, I might go out to get it, or buy it on my way to work (I even did wrote a few cards from there already).

I did search for a card a whole afternoon once - buying cards is always a better use of time than stuff like emptying the dishwasher :upside_down_face:

I def. buy cards in advance, because you can always meet a user who will exactly like that topic.

But, of course, just to assure you: you donā€™t have to fulfill wishes. Any additional effort is completly up to you. Itā€™s absolutely find to send the nice card lying next to you ā€¦

8 Likes

You petty human! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But I shouldnā€™t speak up, Iā€™m guilty of sending a very ugly (in my opinion) multiview to someone who had a long list of strict wishes, yet sent hundreds of the same (ugly) postcard design.

To answer OP question - I use postcards from my stash and try to find one that is aligned with the wishes. And when Iā€™m shopping for postcards to replenish my stash I buy not only designs I like but also these that will be ā€œusefulā€ postcrossing-wise. I donā€™t really have time to go shopping (offline or online) everytime I draw new address.

7 Likes

When I first started, I felt like there werenā€™t that many good cards to buy where I lived - this was true for traditional ā€œviewcardsā€, but then I realised about museums etc., and also it really depended on the city as I was living kind of between two places.
So my first instinct was to print my own cards, which I did even if I had noticed I could buy lots of cards. To be sure, I only sent them to those who DONā€™T have the ā€œno handmadeā€ warning. Whether they consider a quality-printed photo to be handmade I donā€™t know and it probably depends on the person. But even so, I only sent a few through Postcrossing and sent the others to friends. Though I often think of doing it again, if you use a professional service (thereā€™s lots of websites doing that) it is no problem, I was super happy with the quality of mine.

2 Likes

First thing Iā€™ll do is looking in my own stash, especially with COVID around. I have a ton of cards that may have been pre-purchased, but are brand new and cover a lot of interests.
If not, then it depends on their wish. If itā€™s a card that I know is sold by a nearby shop, Iā€™ll probably purchase it. But if itā€™s very specific and Iā€™ll probably have to visit more than my usual shops, Iā€™ll just do my best to match their wish as close as possible. Luckily, I find that the majority of people have very broad wishes that are easily fulfilled.

But after all, the code for postcard wishes:

8 Likes

I always send postcards from my stash too but Iā€™ll buy postcards of different themes now and then to make them diverse. When Iā€™m purchasing postcards, Iā€™m constantly calculating the profiles I once read to try to get some cards that are in demand but I donā€™t have.

1 Like

I have a stash of postcards at home that I use and add to often. I try my best to send a postcard that fits wish lists and I can only recall a few instances where people havenā€™t sent a hooray message and only once in an RR did someone complain and I simply sent them a U2U explaining that due to COVID I wasnā€™t able to match their wish list as my card choices were limited. They never replied but thatā€™s ok.

I usually go for the stash too, which nowadays is quite diverse and I canā€™t afford to buy more solo postcards for everyone as much as I wanted to.

I do try to purchase stamps related to themes the person has mentioned in the profile, though. Itā€™s money I will have to spend either way, so if I can do it then I will do it. :slightly_smiling_face:

I do both. First I try to pick one from my quite large stash ( to which I regularly add when I come around interesting postcards). But sometimes I simply donā€™t have a matching card. The then following action is dependant on the recipientā€™s profile. If itā€™s an active member with a friendly profile that brings me joy I will go and by a special card. Or I will paint/draw one if they accept handmade ones. If the the opposite is the case I will simply send a neutral Germany themed card.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I do but many times the wishes for that theme dry up immediately after I buy them. I bought dinosaurs after request went up after Jurassic Park, same for Alice in Wonderland. Iā€™m still managing to clear my Harry Potter cards though.

1 Like

You can send all your dinosaurs to me :innocent:

But seriously, I know this phenomenon so well! I have a few Jetoy and Alice in Wonderland postcards and nowadays no one seems to want them. :scream:

1 Like

I just started postcrossing about a month ago, so I donā€™t have a large stash right now to fulfill specific wishes. I am mostly using cards that I bought on trips to museums. I am also in a small town, so finding local postcards is a challenge. I have a friend that lives in a super touristy town, so I called in a favor for him to bring me a bunch of postcards during visits.

As I keep going, I think I will try to find postcards that fit popular demands. I donā€™t necessarily like the idea of going out of my way to cater to a very specific request because I feel like that sucks the fun out of postcrossing. I would rather be surprised by the picture. I also think taking the time to write a thoughtful message is more important than worrying about if you are sending the right type of postcard.

2 Likes

I just make sure I have different type of cards at home. I try to fulfill all wishes but if I donā€™t have it then I send a card that I think suits most. As for favourite tags on the forum I try to buy the touristic cards that are listed when I go to the city. Right now everything is closed so I have to do with what I have or order online.

I try to fullfil wishes, but not always I am succesful. I have a stash in drawer, but if I donā€™t have it, I go and buy it, order online (nowadays) or just pick card which seems closest to the wish. I even once sent card which wasnā€™t in the wishlist and he/she actually loved it!

I rather ā€œhateā€ when I bought a pack of flower postcards, or wild animals and now it seems that nobody wants them.

1 Like

Send them to people who have open wishlists ā€¦ once youā€™ve sent them all out, youā€™re guaranteed to see endless requests for them. At least thatā€™s the way itā€™s always worked for me! :laughing:

8 Likes

@nyassa @Axolotl_
There is an Alice In Wonderland - Something from wishlist tag - Alice in Wonderland tag in case you have too many cardsā€¦
On the other hand, I am sure you will stumble over Alice wishes again eventually.
I have a Ghibli box and not many requests but I am in no hurry to get rid off the cards, I like them :innocent:

2 Likes

I have built up a stash over the years to meet most requirements and I find choosing a nice card and anticipating their pleasure when they receive it is as good as receiving a card myself.
But I have received some really rubbish cards, particularly in the early days, and this has driven me to the forum - in particular the round robins where you can choose your subject.
Everyone is different and everyone has their own approachā€¦

1 Like

I only send cards that are in my existing stash. I havenā€™t bought postcards in a while cause I already have so many already.

1 Like

I tried to stopp buying cards, but failed :sweat_smile: And I have not that much, whem I read what others write here and in other topics.

Mostly I buy cards I like myself and I am happy to send them. I go not on the hunt for a perfect card for that user, but in pre-covid times, I enjoyed to get through the cards in the shops and search for cards that would fit to a profile I got the adress. I did this only when I know that I have time for such a shopping tour, selecting cards is fun :smiley:

Otherwise my stash is the source.

1 Like