Do postcards go through customs?

This is how I received my postcard. The sticker was not removable. Where I managed to pull a part off, the card is now sticky.

Who wants to see the card, see BS-5969.

3 Likes

Thanks for the cleaning tip.
Leo

Maybe someone does it because he/she doesn’t like the picture?

Some stickers are easier to remove when you heat it with a hairdryer

3 Likes

Oh no, what a shame. :cry:

1 Like

I had exactly the same! Also from the Bahamas, even from the same postcrosser. I wonder whether this happens to all cards from the Bahamas…

I managed to peel the sticker off, very carefully.

2 Likes

To peel off the stickers you can use a hair dryer, blow hot air on top of the sticker for a few seconds and start peeling, the glue comes off with the sticker, try working in sections and peel slowly.

4 Likes

I have received card from Bahamas without this form.
But here, not “designated operator” is mentioned at all. (I think it usually says the country, like ours say “Posti Ltd, Finland”).
The BS in the code is still I suppose for Bahamas, so it’s glued there?

Can this have something to do with cards being of licenced product (Spiderman at least)?

I would ask the sender, did they glue it, or do they know this happens, and can they tell why this could happen?

I’ve once received this postcard from China, which had gone through Swiss customs and got a sticker there.

Is it possible that those cards with CN22 were sent with different kind of service? Like registered or maybe EMS

In my own experiences, I’ve only received those custom declaration if the card or mail is sent by registered service. Some (sender) countries are strict so they will put that kind of sticker and some aren’t

Sometimes they have the card to be sent inside plastic bag with the sticker put on the plastic

1 Like

There is this one from the same member, also with customs sticker. I have never seen this either.

I belive this is really the case, as the customs form is not filled in.

I recently received a single card from Mexico with a customs form attached.

In general, merchandise is subject to customs control, but documents are not. However, the rules may vary from one country to the next. In the Bahamas , for example, a photograph is considered a document (not subject to customs control), while in Argentina, photographs are considered merchandise and must pass through customs.

My guess would be that postcards entering the US don’t go through the part of Customs that checks for value but probably goes through the part with drug-sniffing dogs, if postcards go through customs at all. I’ve watched some TV shows where mail coming into other countries goes through customs. Letters - which probably includes postcards - are in large bins about the size of a household laundry basket and the drug sniffing dogs walk past and check each bin.

Packages are checked differently.

"In the Bahamas, customs declarations on postcards are mandatory when they are sent in international mail. This means that even for small postcards that you send or receive, you need to fill out the appropriate declaration.

Customs declarations allow customs authorities to control the movement of goods across the border. They contain information about the contents of the parcel, the cost of the goods and other details. This helps to establish what is being forwarded and may affect the taxes or duties that may be applied.

Thus, even if there is no commercial value on the postcard, it is still subject to customs control. Please make sure that you comply with the customs declaration requirements when sending or receiving postcards in the Bahamas."