Do people answer your questions in your Hurray messages?

Any time I think there are too many “asks” in a profile, I send a generic card, with a generic stamp, and a generic message. Luckily, it doesn’t happen very often. I love to read profiles that tell me about the person and allow me to select a card that will make them feel happy! I especially like it when the person tells me in the hurray message how much they enjoyed the card I sent!

3 Likes

In the end I sent a maxicard in an envelope with some nice stamps and got a short thank you in return. Oh, well. I hated the demand that the postcard should be blank the most. It’s often the tone that upsets me.

In comparison, yesterday I went out of my way to buy a tractor postcard because I had drawn a profile of a woman whose grandchild likes tractors. And the whole experience made me quite happy. Go figure. It was a nice profile and the last time I went stamp shopping I noticed these tractor cards and tractor stamps and tractor envelopes and thought no one would need that on postcrossing :rofl: I think it’s my first time going out to buy a specific card for someone too. But it was such a coincidence. I thought I won’t need these tractors in million of years and literally the next day I got a profile asking for them. I actually laughed.

19 Likes

𝐼 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑗𝑢𝑡𝑠 𝑐𝑢𝑟𝑖𝑜𝑢𝑠 𝑎𝑠 𝑡𝑜 ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑚𝑎𝑛𝑦 𝑜𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑑𝑜 𝑜𝑟 𝑑𝑜𝑛’𝑡 𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑝𝑜𝑛𝑑 𝑏𝑎𝑐𝑘 𝑡𝑜 ℎ𝑢𝑟𝑟𝑎𝑦 𝑚𝑒𝑠𝑠𝑎𝑔𝑒𝑠 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑟𝑒𝑐𝑖𝑝𝑖𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 ℎ𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑟𝑒𝑐𝑒𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑝𝑜𝑠𝑡𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑑.

( 𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑎 𝑝𝑎𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑔ℎ𝑡 )

2 Likes

I respond back if they ask something.

3 Likes

If it’s only the thanks for the card. I assume your welcome is understood; however, I do respond to requests for addresses or other questions.

1 Like

Once the card was mailed, my part was complete.

2 Likes

never thought of replying back, will try if they ask something

2 Likes

Sometimes , if there is something more to say.

3 Likes

There is some discussion about it also here:

When I started postcrossing, the first Hurray messages I received were so friendly and nice, that I wondered if I should reply them. I asked a more experienced postcrosser about it. She said I can reply, if I want to, but it is not expected. She told me she herself writes back only if there are questions to answer. So that is what I do, too. If someone is curious or interested about something, I answer their questions, but otherwise I leave it there.

Once I got a very long and friendly Hurray message I planned to reply, but never came around to do it. That I still regret a bit. The message was in German and I wanted to write back in the same language, but it would have taken me quite some while to compose a message in German. I didn’t have time to do it right away and I partly forgot and postponed it too long. I would have liked this person to know how much I appreciated the message.

8 Likes

I answer every time if there are questions in the message, but it rarely happens. I usually get questions, for example, about where I bought the washi tape. I think it’s polite to give an answer if something is asked. It doesn’t take much time to answer. However, I personally avoid asking anything.

1 Like

I don’t answer every Hurray Message, but if there’s a question or if the message is witty, friendly or interesting, I will probably respond back.

1 Like

I try to answer quetstions from a profile if I like it. So not the ones about sharing a secret or something similair. If I get questions in a Hurray, most of the time I reply. Most of the time I don’t get another message after that. :smiley:

2 Likes

They have indeed! I’ve asked about favorite reading spots and favorite songs and have gotten answers. And if others as me a question on postcards I try to answer in the hurray message. I actually got myself a penpal doing that!

4 Likes

Most hurrays are just thanks for the card and nice stamps, quite rare to get a question but if they asked who/what the card image was it would be a short reply

Sometimes they do, but I don’t ask questions so often. If I get a card with a question in it, I always answer it in the hurray message :slight_smile: and if some one asked a question in a hurray message, I would answer it in a private message.

2 Likes

Hello, I’m a bit confused about what is expected/possible for a sender. There is an option to reply for the recipients note but shall I actually reply? Will this be well-received or will this be perceived as some clingy-creepy behaviour? Maybe there is a no continuity policy that is an unofficial rule here? Is there further snailmail exchange possible out of the initial postcard or is it a huge no-no due to the… - I don’t no - safety reasons?

All the best to you all!

2 Likes

I reply to Hurray-Messages if I feel like it.

4 Likes

I reply to Hurray-Messages ,
yes the Hurrey-message is for me , that my card has arrived his destination .
That make’s me happy,

I new to postcrossing and every card I send and received make’s me happy

6 Likes

One thing that has crossed my mind is whether people actually respond to Hurray messages. I usually try to reply to what they asked on the postcard but no one replied after.

Have you ever received replies or messages from the recipients?

1 Like

I sometimes do!

Yes, I have and that were nice communications.

1 Like