DIY goodies for pen pals by upcycling / recycling?

I like to write small lists for my pen pals about books that I read recently or favorite desserts, what to love about summer, my Sunday-morning playlist etc. Since I always find nice feathers from wild geese (which spend the summer here in my area) I thought about using them in my letters. :smiling_face:

Here I used a feather to “lock” my list of books I liked reading (and put a bookmark into it). :closed_lock_with_key:

Do you use materials from nature or something handmade to keep your paper “locked” instead of using a sticker or a wax seal? :old_key:

4 Likes

Would love to be pen pals if youre still open!

2 Likes

In my case my circle of pen pals is complete right now. :blush: But I keep my fingers crossed for you to find nice pen pals. :crossed_fingers: :four_leaf_clover:

Some time ago I found some great “letter addicted” friends here in the forum. Maybe you know this part of the forum already?

https://community.postcrossing.com/c/trades-requests-offers/penpals/104

:postbox: :paintbrush: :memo:

And some lovely postcard pals also slowly grew into pen pals. I don’t know about the experiences of our other members here, but for me starting with postcards was really nice, too. It was so natural when we saw that we were getting along well, have the same sense of humor or share quirky thoughts and hobbys etc. :crazy_face: :grin:

2 Likes

For the cards:

ATCs
Washi tape wraps nicely for happy mail
Tags
Bookmarks

1 Like

I save everything bigger than an inch basically haha! I make envelopea from magazines, collages from paper and magazines. I make tags and washi holders out of papers, upcycle window envelopes and plastic wrap from things like stickers are used for goodies. I make happy mail folders from gift bags. And, I will cut things from cool packaging. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, that sounds interesting and very creative! Do you have pictures maybe of some of your upcycling projects to show us? :nerd_face:
That would be really nice. I’m always interested in the materials people use and what they make out of them. And yes, I can read, too. But with a picture I always have a better … um… picture? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Recently I discarded some old file folders but I didn’t want to throw away those horizontal dividers or dividing strips (in German they are called “Trennstreifen”).

Those thin cardboard strips make perfect upcycling material and I cut them in halves and decorated them. On them I write down small lists for different topics like…
:memo:

some of my favorite desserts…

fruits I like…

what I like doing for self-care…

flowers I grow on my balcony…

I like sending my lists and ask my pen pals about their little list of favorite things.
Do you do these lists too for learning to know each other better in a fun way?

2 Likes

Great idea! (I’m a tea lover.)

1 Like

Hey @MailSnail , welcome to the forum! How nice you came here and already posted your first comment :heavy_heart_exclamation:
From the answers I have got I can tell that tea lovers are really happy about a tea bookmark. I always hope it is a nice surprise to give the receiver just a small glimpse into “my little tea world”. :grin: :teapot:
After all we all are a kind of ambassadors of our countries and can exchange so many sweet and interesting things, right?

Hi!

Thank you for your kind welcome! I wasnt expecting a response, so that was a little act of kindness that came just when i needed one

I am still pretty new (7 weeks) to Postcrossing, and itching to send more cards out. I was actually looking to see if there was a forum for people dying to GET mail, and got sidetracked by this one.

It’s really true that it’s better to give than to receive for people like us who love to make and share things. I love getting mail, of course, but I’m happiest plotting what to make next. :wink:

Cheers from Canada,
Lindsay

1 Like

Started upcycling a dated atlas to use as envelopes!

7 Likes