Diagonal Message

I’ve taken to writing the messages on my postcards diagonally, because it gives me more space to actually put a substantial message. My handwriting is typically kinda big, and I’m kinda long-winded, so I’ve found this to be a decent way of fitting everything. Do you think it’d be annoying to get a postcard with a diagonal message? Do others do this? Have you ever gotten a postcard with a diagonal message? Let me know your thoughts! :thought_balloon:

2 Likes

I don’t think it’d be annoying as long as it’s legible. And it would be something different! I’ve never thought to do this :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s legible :sweat_smile: It helps me write smaller too, and I can embrace the fact that my handwriting slants naturally :sweat_smile: :sweat_drops: I’m left-handed, so I start in the upper left-hand corner, although I think it might be possible to start from the right so long as you’re aware of the address. I also write different topics in separate colors so that I don’t have to skip a line for a new paragraph, and that also save space, lol

4 Likes

I’ll write diagonally if I’m sharing a quote or something similar - makes it easy to decorate around it. Usually, for “official” cards (not tag offer cards) I put a sticker across the height of the card where I’ll write the card ID, date, and indicate the weather, so I just end up writing the entire message in that direction (I’m also a lefty). Oh, and I often also use a different color for each paragraph, but haven’t done that lately.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

What do you mean by the “height of the card?”

I’ll post an example in a moment…

1 Like

No rush! :heart:

I’m a lefty too! Do you smear the ink too?? haha

Not always! Actually, not most of the time; I trained myself to hold my wrist below the line of text when I was fairly young, because getting smudges of graphite on my hands annoyed me. :sweat_smile:

No smear with permanent inks in my case. There are lefty pens out there too! Here is an example of how I label and write on a postcard:

4 Likes

Oh okay! Thank you!!

1 Like

For how other people format their cards, look here: How do you format your postcard messages?

1 Like

It would be interesting! As long as it’s legible, it’s fine!

1 Like

I’ve never thought of doing this, but I might give it a try. My technique for fitting as much writing as possible onto a card is to use a really fine point pen (I use a 0.1mm fibre tip sketching pen) but I hadn’t thought about turning the card to try and get more in!

2 Likes

I’m very specific about my pens, so it never occurred to me to try a different one. Maybe I could find a pen that I like with a smaller tip. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

No. Why would it be a problem?
I’ve written cards diagonally, upside down, or turned by 90 degrees, and it never occurred to me that this might constitute any problem for the reader :open_mouth:

Different story when you make reading more complicated - as I have occasionally done - by writing your text curled up like a snail’s house, or in mirrored writing… But then again, I wouldn’t mind receiving cards like that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That would be fun :upside_down_face: I learned to write like that for some reason and sometimes still have problems to write s, 5, 2 etc with correct orientation, but have no trouble reading mirror writing.

1 Like

Well, actually reading mirrored writing should not be a problem for anyone… as long as they have a mirror.

And the easiest way to do mirrored writing is to do it with the other hand - the left hand if you’re right-handed, the right hand when you’re left-handed. In fact, on one occasion my reason for doing this was that my right hand was temporarily “out of service” :upside_down_face:

(Sorry goes off topic, I know.) Did you write everything in mirror writing then?

No, just one postcard or two.