Cuisine in India. Help needed!

Hello Postcrossers from India,

I hope you don’t mind if I post my text about food from India here…

I like trying out new recipes and I try to make my own sets of spices. I want to make these spices at home: Tandoori Masala and Garam Masala. I don’t want to buy ready spices in the supermarket. I want the spices to be as original as possible, a typical recipe. As a foreigner I am confused when I see thousands of different recipes on YT or blogs. That is why I want to ask you for help as you are from India and you surely know the taste of Tandoori Masala and Garam Masala.

For Tandoori Masala I saw a recipe where you need dried chilli peppers. I would like to substitute dried chilli peppers with chilli flakes but I don’t know how many grams of flakes I should know. How many grams does 1 dried chilli pepper weigh? Maybe you have this product in the kitchen or you will be shopping in the local farmer’s market and could ask a shopping assistant to weigh 1 dried pepper for you.

My aim is to make spices on my own at home, use the ingredients that I already have in my kitchen (I have a few types of dried pepper at home, eg. Cayenne pepper, chilli flakes, smoked sweet pepper, black pepper seeds). I wouldn’t like to buy extra dried peppers and I don’t have a dryer for vegetables. On top of that, I don’t want to add too much chilli to those Indian spices, so that I will not be able to eat it due to the fire in my mouth :slight_smile:

Furthermore, maybe you could give me links to YT films with typical versions of Tandoori Masala and Garam Masala spices that are popular in India. Maybe you read culinary blogs where there are such recipes and could give me links (but not Cookpad, I cannot open their recipes!).

Warning! If you are just wandering: 'What the hell does this woman want from me? The email is too long and too confusing. I am not hooked on cooking and I don’t read culinary blogs/videos.“

Well, I just use the opportunity that I can ask Postcrossing users as I don’t have social media :slight_smile:

But if you had time to check the recipes for me, I would be happy :slight_smile:

You could send a PM to me or write on forum.

Thanks in adavance.

Marta from Poland

6 Likes

Sadly, my knowledge in cooking and making spices is very limited. I hope someone can help you.

Hope these help🙂

1 Like