Crete, Santorini

Hi,
Does any Greek Postcrosser here live on Crete?
Or has already spent some time there?
And can give any good tips and advice: where to buy nice view cards, etc., where to buy the official Greek stamps, where to go for great food and drink, where to go for shopping, etc.? :smiley:
Thanks so much for your help. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:
You are also welcome to contact me directly in a personal message for further talk on the topics above.

Hi!
I lived in Crete for 6 years and visit it almost every year. I am sure you will find many nice cards easily, Crete is a very touristic place. I have no recommendations about cards and stamps. Which places in Crete are you planning to visit? Give us some more details.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. :slightly_smiling_face:
The hotel will be in Malia. I plan to visit Knossos for sure. Maybe Agios Nikolaos, Rethimno, Chania. :slightly_smiling_face:
And if I can make it also a day trip to Santorini. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Oh perfect! Crete is so beautiful, I love it and you will love it too, I am sure! So, Malia is next to Heraklion. You should definetely eat at the fish tavern ā€œLigo krasi, ligo thalassaā€ (it is located near Koules Fortress). There are also many nice small taverns, you will find them if you walk around, I have no specific suggestion, but you will eat great! Also try ā€œrakomeloā€, it is raki with honey. Rethimno and Chania are nice for walking in their old towns. In Chania you could also visit the famous ā€œKoukouvagiaā€ for sweets and try ā€œZoumeroā€. I visit Chania every year and I never forget to eat ice crem from ā€œPiragmenoā€ in the old port of Chania. You can also find many nice places for drinks and cocktails. Are you planning to visit any beaches in these places? Do you need suggestions as well?

1 Like

Great, thanks for your tips. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:
I will makes notes and take them with me on the trip. :black_nib:
The hotel is directly near a beach, so I will go to this beach primarily. :ocean:
But if you have recommendations for additional nice beaches please tell me, thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:
I only have one week in total, so I need to choose what I will do then. It will also depend on the weather in that week, of course.

Do you have any tips for Santorini? :slightly_smiling_face:

And how about Greek Post:
how long do postcards take to European countries?
Do I have to write Airmail on them?
Etc.

There are many beautiful beaches in Crete, but it depends on your program, because some are on the north, some on the south etc. I have never visited Santorini, so no tips, sorry :woman_shrugging:
The Greek postā€¦mmmā€¦We have observed that it has been quicker than it used to be. My last cards to European countries did from 4-15 days. No, you donā€™t have to write Airmail on them.

1 Like

I donā€™t rent a car, so beaches, sights and towns should be reachable by public transport for me.
Have you used public transport on the island?

For Knossos I plan to book an organised day trip which will start with pick up directly at my hotel.

Has anybody else been to Santorini already? :sunglasses:

Hi, Iā€™ve been to Santorini 2-3 times in the past 10-15 years.
What would you like to know?

1 Like

Great! :smiley::+1:
I will get back to you later.

Do you have any tips for: :slightly_smiling_face:
eating and drinking well there?
buying nice viewcards and official stamps there?
what sights to see there?
Etc.

I will be on a day trip coming from Crete there, if I can make it. :sunglasses: So my time will be limited and I would love to make the most of my time there, of course. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

ĪŸĪŗā€¦here we goā€¦
Letā€™s make one thing clear. To Santorini you donā€™t go for eating or drinking; you donā€™t go for buying stamps or postcards; you donā€™t even go for the beachesā€¦
To Santorini you go for the VIEW.

So if you go just for one day (I donā€™t know how many hours) my advice would be to stick to Fira (the main village), pick a cafĆ© with a nice view, pick the best available table and just sit there and enjoy the view. Yes! Just sit there and do nothing. Just let it sink and perhaps write postcards to your friends about it! The view is so beautiful that itā€™s an experience on its own.
It gets much more spectacular during and after the sunset. So donā€™t miss out on this. Pick your spot and let your eyes be pleased.
It should look like thisā€¦

The village of Fira is big enough to keep it interesting for a day and small enough to walk around without getting tired. Full of small picturesque pedestrian roads, with tourist shops (selling many many postcards), boutiques etc.

We could have a discussion whether you should rent an ATV and go to a beach or to a winery but itā€™s really not worth for one day. Thereā€™s simply not enough time and the view tops everything else out.
The beaches are much better in Crete anyway.
And you shouldnā€™t lose time on buying stampsā€¦When you are in Crete, visit a post-office and buy as many as you want.

Concerning eating, I do have a good advice. There is this little tavern in Fira which was a good kept secret 10 years ago. I donā€™t know about now but back then the food was not only amazing but also traditional and authentic.
It is this one hereā€¦ but still I insist that you shouldnā€™t miss out on the view. Plenty of good food also in Crete.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the tips and pictures. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

I will most probably be on the boat back to Crete again, so I wonā€™t see the Sunset there.
Probably also no time for going to another place there with a beach. But thatā€™s no problem, as I said, my hotel on Crete is directly near a beach. :sunglasses::ocean:

Any tourist traps or other things I should avoid or be aware of?
@FoTiS

No

1 Like

Thatā€™s good. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

The only tourist trap I can think of is getting lured into doing too many things out of fear of missing outā€¦
You will be a few hours there in this magical placeā€¦ So just enjoy the view!
After all, Santorini is magical because of the viewā€¦

1 Like

Yes, understood. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have been there and there now. :sunglasses:
I had a great time. :smiley::+1:
If you go to both places and have Postcrossing questions or other questions please get directly in touch with me via a PM. Not here in the thread. Thanks a lot. :slightly_smiling_face: